Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:01 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,112 times

Advertisements

Did you ever consider that maybe he resents you being there so often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 07:57 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times
You are probably there too much.......

Old 01-06-2016, 08:00 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I DO NOT live there. I have my own place. Thank you very much.
Well, you hang out there all the time, so you kinda DO live there.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:05 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Just curious, is the husband of the same cultural background as you/your sister?

Old 01-06-2016, 08:34 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Your sister is the problem for allowing this to go on. Talk to her, offer help if she wants it. Don't approach him. You will lose your relationship with her.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:45 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Why not spend time with your sister and nephew at your own home? Your constant presence in an already busy household is obviously a stressor to the family.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:05 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
The funny thing about marriage is that you will be left out in the cold in favor of the spouse. I agree that you should just leave. I also understand your concern for your sister, but the bottom line is that it's her life. It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not. I have an ex friend that's an alcoholic and on a slippery slope. I talked to him about it in a loving way, told him to look up certain information about alcohol abuse, and offered to hold his hand every step of the way if he wanted help. I saw his Mr. Hyde side and now he is totally out of my life. I can't help him anymore then you can change your sister's life. Does it make me sad that he's so far gone? Yes, but it's his life, his choice. Just as it's your sister's life and her choice.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:07 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
...If you're nine years old.

Both of you made me laugh today. Thank you. You just have to understand that Mainer humor

Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Most posters have said "Keep out of it." I disagree. I think your concerns are valid.

NO person should ever be screaming at his/her spouse. People can disagree with that statement all they wish, but where in "love, honor, and cherish" does screaming fit in? Perhaps your sister is like I was, assuming that being screamed at by my husband was a normal part of marriage. Perhaps, like I was, she feels that constant arguments and unhappiness is a normal part of marriage. Perhaps, like I was, she feels divorce is not an option.

For 25 years, I was married to a man who sounds a lot like the man you describe. He NEVER did one iota of housework (he would actually boast about that fact), rarely helped with the 3 children, watched hours of TV everyday while I was completely frazzled from working and taking care of the house and kids. He screamed at me all the time, which absolutely devastated me to the point of becoming suicidal. My religious beliefs at that time completely forbid divorce (I am now a happy, open-minded agnostic.)

I wish that even ONE person would have told me "This is not a normal, healthy marriage." Thankfully, I eventually did figure that out, after I left the mind-controlling church I had been a part of for so long, and after many other significant events in my life.

And the best part is now I am married to the kindest, most wonderful man I have ever met, and in our 8 years of being together, NOT ONCE have either of us raised our voice to the other, or spoken disrespectfully whatsoever. We may face differences of opinion on matters, but we do not yell and argue. We discuss calmly, with a genuine concern for what makes the OTHER person happy. We truly love, honor, and cherish. THIS, not what you describe, not what I lived for 25 years, is a healthy, respectful marriage. Please lovingly talk with your sister to share your concerns. If she says she is genuinely happy in her marriage (which I cannot fathom), then leave the door open for helping her in the future should she decide she wants it. But be sure she knows that marriage can and should make her feel cherished.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:57 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
And why is your sister putting up with this???

It is not your problem to solve, it is your sister's problem to solve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships