Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Contact her however you want and tell her and keep repeating: "I do not loan anyone money", no other words. She will eventually lose interest and quit contacting you.
Part of me wants to be nice. "I'm sorry for your hardships, but I cannot help you. Perhaps you can ask your creditor for an extension to pay this bill. Good luck!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 04:48 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Part of me wants to be nice. "I'm sorry for your hardships, but I cannot help you. Perhaps you can ask your creditor for an extension to pay this bill. Good luck!"
No way! And at this point you're putting way to much thought into it. Don't be an enabler.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
No way! And at this point you're putting way to much thought into it. Don't be an enabler.
Too late, already sent it. lol Was that really enabling though?

Old 01-07-2016, 04:55 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,411 times
Quote:
The nice part of you needs to stand down.

The angry part of you needs to stand down.

The forthright, self-respecting, rational an unemotional boundary-defending part of you needs to take charge.

This is not about you "cannot" give her money. This is you making the prudent, self-respecting decision not to give her money.

You didn't cause her hardships, so there is no reason for you to feel bad about them.

And the absolute last thing any mooching relative wants to hear is common sense advice about contacting a creditor, or making a budget. Don't waste your breath. They just resent it even more.

Give her no sympathy and no advice.

Inform her of the one fact that applies: You don't lend money.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:57 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I don't see it as enabling but not really into the psycho-babble stuff so maybe it is.

For what it's worth at this point I too would have responded with a firm no, and I like your comment about not keeping secrets from your mother. Not saying you have to run to your mother and tell but if she asks…..

and you not have to justify your refusal. Your money, your decision.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:00 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,411 times
Quote:
Too late, already sent it. lol Was that really enabling though?
YES!

You gave her the idea that you would have lent her the money if you "could" have, and that you didn't lend it this time because you did not have it.

Plus you extended sympathy, which excuses her behaviour.

You treated her bad financial management the same as someone getting in an unavoidable car wreck, ie, as not her fault, worthy of sympathy.

She'll be back. She'll have you pegged as a 'soft touch' now.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:04 AM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
I would text her back saying "I can't help you. Please don't request money from me again because this is my final answer"

Old 01-07-2016, 05:07 AM

17 posts, read 19,341 times
Boy, people are really overthinking this. There's no need to respond emotionally. You can BE emotional about it. Laugh like a hyena or curse her out. But responding with emotion will only make things worse.

You just say, "Sorry, no can do." No explanation needed. If she comes back at you, repeat exactly the same. Be a broken record. If you want any kind of relationship with her, you can say you're sorry she's having trouble, but you can't help her. If you want no relationship, don't even bother with that.

My daughter right now is dealing with an ex-husband who is a similar drama queen (king) and it's clear to me that allowing ANY detail for these people to grab onto is a poor move.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:08 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Quote:
She is mean to her own mother, my mother, and several of my cousins so I really have no time for her.
I know, and that is the problem with too many people. If one knows how to be nice, they may get nice things offered in return.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
YES!

You gave her the idea that you would have lent her the money if you "could" have, and that you didn't lend it this time because you did not have it.

Plus you extended sympathy, which excuses her behaviour.

You treated her bad financial management the same as someone getting in an unavoidable car wreck, ie, as not her fault, worthy of sympathy.

She'll be back. She'll have you pegged as a 'soft touch' now.
No, she knows it isn't because I don't have the money. I always have it. Like I said, she hasn't asked me for any money in a long time so that's why I decided to give a polite response, but if she asks again, the answer will always be NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships