Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:42 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,143 times

Advertisements

"Sorry, can't do it."

Send, and then ignore any further communication from her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 01:20 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I don't understand why you wouldn't just block her and not even respond unless you have some need to have a bit of drama going on.
She doesn't usually text or call me, so I didn't feel the need to block her based on the texts she sent today.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:20 PM

53 posts, read 145,104 times
Quote:
I don't understand why you wouldn't just block her and not even respond unless you have some need to have a bit of drama going on.
I disagree. Responding with "No, sorry. I don't lend out money to anyone." and THEN disregarding all future texts on the subject is the adult thing to do. The message to her is completely clear. Blocking immediately with no response is the "I'll hide and hope she goes away" response. This leaves too much room for "well, maybe she didn't get it, maybe she's still thinking about it" etc.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:47 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
She doesn't usually text or call me, so I didn't feel the need to block her based on the texts she sent today.
You could have just ignored her. Now you've dissed her. Make sure to take the responsibility when future drama ensues.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:49 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetvale View Post
I disagree. Responding with "No, sorry. I don't lend out money to anyone." and THEN disregarding all future texts on the subject is the adult thing to do. The message to her is completely clear. Blocking immediately with no response is the "I'll hide and hope she goes away" response. This leaves too much room for "well, maybe she didn't get it, maybe she's still thinking about it" etc.
That would be fine, but it rarely ends with that. Maybe the OP can update this on future drama or lack thereof.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:01 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
You could have just ignored her. Now you've dissed her. Make sure to take the responsibility when future drama ensues.
What I sent her wasn't a "diss." I simply told her that she would not be receiving any money from me. I'm not worried about any future "drama" because I really don't care how my aunt (or anyone else) feels about my decision to not lend her any money.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:34 PM

678 posts, read 697,787 times
tell her like it is! And don't hold the punches!

Old 01-07-2016, 02:47 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
If she says she can pay you back by Jan 31, why doesnt she try a pawn shop?

my guess, she has no intentions of paying you back, I learned a long time ago to never loan anything, unless your willing to give it away for free and take a loss.

just about anybody that ever borrowed money or valuables from me has never returned it or paid me back.

they always disappear and I have to try to find them and ask them to pay me back or return something, and they always give the run around or keep making excuses until I give up.

Last edited by mr bolo; 01-07-2016 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 03:07 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
I think I'll just text back "Request denied." That is straight and to the point.
Email or text. This is a better response. Or just say "I can't." Or "No, I won't." Or "no can do. Sorry." No need to be mean.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:13 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,740 times
Quote:
At 1:44am this morning while I was sound asleep, my mom's sister decides to text me the following. Luckily, I had my phone on silent:

"This is Aunt (her name). I need your help real bad this time. Can you please loan me $230.00? I am struggling right now and need it to pay a bill that is due right away and will pay you back by Saturday, January 31 when I get my check. Please text me back and see if I can come to you Thursday around 1pm to meet you to pick it up. Do not tell your mom because she will argue and tell everyone else in the family and I am tired of arguing. Love Aunt (her name)."

LOL, this is an aunt who asks to borrow money from various people in the family pretty much every other week! I'm not sure what she does with her own money (it isn't drugs or alcohol or anything), but she is ridiculous and I feel no sympathy for her because she is not a nice person, and we don't usually talk anyway. She only contacts me when she wants something. I think I've loaned her money maybe once in the past several years ago, but I no longer lend money to family because I have been burned several times and the truth is that they are all just terribly irresponsible with money and that isn't my problem. I am a last resort person to ask because my family knows I don't like to lend money, so she must've been turned down by everyone else or currently owes them money so she can't ask them for any more. I plan to text her back "Sorry, I can't help you. And I don't keep secrets from my mom so your trifling ass is about to be put on blast. Lose my number!" Is that too harsh? (To be honest, I wasn't going to text the bold part, but I'd like to!)
ok

whatever Auntie is doing, its ongoing and been enabled

you are perfectly entitled to say the above

but think hard before you go ahead and say it if you love your Auntie or value her at all

Something is wrong if she has to borrow money all the time then pay it back

whats wrong? <<<<A Problem

It could be she needs help big time even if its just a shoulder to cry on

you could find out before you go saying things you cant ever take back IYKWIM

if you love her that is - no judgement here

I love my niece dearly and we are out of contact right now

and yes, it has to do with Financial Issues, albeit second hand

I owe a small amount of money to my brother

Her dad

The same guy who beat me relentlessly as I was growing up

The same guy who hasn't picked up the phone to ask for it back<<<<what I'm waiting for

In the meantime until I can pay his pathetic $ back, (its nowhere near what he offered to lend me, did no good at all) then its No Speak.

It will be resolved and it breaks my heart I was dropped when I needed it most, due to a relatively tiny amount of $
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships