Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:11 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times

Advertisements

Did this "friend" you keep posting about say this? That's what people are assuming, but you haven't specified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 12:22 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
What were you going through? Please elaborate!
*shrug* Just read the thousands of threads on City-Data to find out what sorts of things people go through in life.

Now I have a question for you. Are you playing some sort of game and dreaming up topics to see how many responses you can get to your threads?

Old 01-09-2016, 02:10 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Did this "friend" you keep posting about say this? That's what people are assuming, but you haven't specified.
I hope you'll answer this question when you see it because it affects my thoughts on this. There are other reasons why someone would say this other than to get someone else to leave them alone.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:31 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
I JUST this in a text message with a cousin that I've been trying to reconnect with for a while. It's an easy excuse, and not a proud or noble one at all. However, it can be overwhelming sometimes to meet up with people, especially when you haven't seen them for a long time, or when you are feeling dumpy about your own life and are dealing with issues of shame, guilt, etc. I think most people know what it means though and accept it for what it is, as in it's sort of a way to say, that's okay, we can wait a few more weeks or months and see how it goes and hopefully everything will be right in both our lives? Except lives are never perfect and if we waited around to only hang out with people when everything in our lives were perfect we'd live a life of pure solitude. Sometimes some people just prefer solitude and get overwhelmed by other people. It's hard. Life is really hard sometimes.. We live in an age of major forced socialization and now those of us who weren't properly socialized as kids are dealing with the age of social media in chary ways. I used to use to the internet TO HIDE FROM PEOPLE IN MY LIFE. But now they are all here! :/

Old 01-09-2016, 05:44 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I JUST this in a text message with a cousin that I've been trying to reconnect with for a while. It's an easy excuse, and not a proud or noble one at all. However, it can be overwhelming sometimes to meet up with people, especially when you haven't seen them for a long time, or when you are feeling dumpy about your own life and are dealing with issues of shame, guilt, etc. I think most people know what it means though and accept it for what it is, as in it's sort of a way to say, that's okay, we can wait a few more weeks or months and see how it goes and hopefully everything will be right in both our lives? Except lives are never perfect and if we waited around to only hang out with people when everything in our lives were perfect we'd live a life of pure solitude. Sometimes some people just prefer solitude and get overwhelmed by other people. It's hard. Life is really hard sometimes.. We live in an age of major forced socialization and now those of us who weren't properly socialized as kids are dealing with the age of social media in chary ways. I used to use to the internet TO HIDE FROM PEOPLE IN MY LIFE. But now they are all here! :/

some people are going through events they cant even think about let alone text to someone in a chirpy precise way

No one knows what someone else is going through

to judge someone poorly because they give you an sms without a Life Drama Detail is just - I mean, at the very least its a sign you've never had a Real Problem in your life

Old 01-09-2016, 10:40 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times
I guess I am different than some of the posters here but I once had a STUPID long distance relationship with a guy that strung me along for an EMBARRASSING 5 YEARS saying that .

Do NOT waste your time like I did . He was always going through one thing after another but WOULD tell me what they were and did NOT want me to go because he was just SURE he could work them out and we would be together..
I had my doubts about this since at the time he was in his 40's ,livingback with mom and had become and remains unemployed now at 52. So I DID date and live my life but it was hurtful that he just couldn't finally man up and say I do not think I am going to be able to handle a relationship right now . I am going to give you your space and if and when I CAN get myself together then we will .

Instead he would say he was going through XYZ and would text 100 times day , call talk and argue on and on .. Id have enough and just STOP all communications . Time would pass he would say he was almost ready repeat cycle .

He was really surprised when I found someone in Europe and moved on . I mean REALLY . He, still, after YEARS has it that we are engaged on his Facebook page when I knew him BEFORE Facebook . In reality we spent maybe a month together total .

One of these days I'll get around to forgiving myself for being so stupid but I am not there yet .

Old 01-10-2016, 02:41 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Sometimes what they are going through, is not wanting anything to do with you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2016, 07:53 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Yes, I have said that before when I wasn't close to the person and was just overwhelmed with their attention. Usually I say, I'm going through some personal stuff and need some space/time off/etc...
Although it's usually in a work relationship for me.

- death of someone
-death of a pet
-stress

It's always to someone I am not really close with. So, if someone is telling you that. They want you to back away.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:11 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
A snowstorm? A mud puddle? An area with bad cell-service?

All of the above.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:30 AM

50,763 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I've told guys who wouldn't take no for an answer that "I'm not in the right place for a relationship" or "I'm going through a lot right now and I don't want to date at the moment" when it wasn't actually true.

Lesson: anyone who is really interested in you WILL make time for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships