Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 07:19 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowed08 View Post
For those who are asking, no, my parent's aren't going to replace the car. Right now it's sitting in front of their house. They do not have the funds to put it in the shop to even see what the problem is. My husband just feels that had my son done the basic maintenance on the car it probably still would be running.
Your parents shouldn't replace the car, you SON should. When you borrow something you are responsible for its condition and for the repair of any damage.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
For those who are asking, no, my parent's aren't going to replace the car. Right now it's sitting in front of their house. They do not have the funds to put it in the shop to even see what the problem is. My husband just feels that had my son done the basic maintenance on the car it probably still would be running.

Your parents shouldn't replace the car!!! YOU SHOULD!!!

Old 01-13-2016, 07:41 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Your parents shouldn't replace the car!!! YOU SHOULD!!!
Unemployed dad-to-be Junior should be routinely slogging his hindquarters down on foot to the plasma center and paying for it. Or baby-momma can drive him. It's probably on her way to the WIC clinic.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:29 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Look, Snowed08, until you AND your son learn about personal responsibility and accountability for your actions ,this kind of stuff is going to continue to happen, and you will continue to share these stories with us ad nauseam.

Until you can see how you are contributing to this whole situation and take steps to change the whole dynamic, I don't see anything changing for you other than your marital status anytime soon.

Until then, good luck.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:46 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Well it sounds like you and your son have burned all of your bridges, and have run out of options. What are your future plans? Can you independently support your son, his girlfriend, and their new baby? If his girlfriends' parents don't know about her pregnancy, it is doubtful they are socking away money to support their daughter and grandchild.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:26 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Tell your son it's never too late to make things right.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:13 PM

304 posts, read 343,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Well it sounds like you and your son have burned all of your bridges, and have run out of options. What are your future plans? Can you independently support your son, his girlfriend, and their new baby? If his girlfriends' parents don't know about her pregnancy, it is doubtful they are socking away money to support their daughter and grandchild.
You have taught your son no responsibility. You are extremely lucky things are no worse than they are now. As previous posters have stated, go right now, pack him up, take him to a military recruiter, sign him up, and ship him off. Or your next trips may be to prison to visit him, or worse yet, the funeral home, to plan his funeral.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:08 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
Quote:
Yes, he's 19 and still at home but he's a good kid. He's in school taking classes and he's going to be a dad soon cause he and his 20 year old girlfriend decided they were ready for a baby.
I think it's time he gets his own car.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
I know I'm going to take a beating on this but I'm going to do it anyway. Yes, these boards are my therapy when I feel I can't talk to my husband.

As you all know my 19 year old son is back home with us after failing out of college last year. He has been driving my niece's car while she's away at school and when she comes home for breaks she takes her car back. Well, my husband has constantly said to my son that as long as he has the car he could at least keep up the maintenance on it. From previous posts my son and his brother broke the windshield in the car and even though my husband said they both should be held liable to replace it, the windshield was never fixed. My son was driving around with the bright lights on because she didn't feel he wanted to buy the replacement bulbs then the high beam lights still worked.

Well, my husband constantly preaches about changing the oil in the car. He says "that's the life's blood of a car and as long as you keep that changed the car should last you a while. He even showed my son 3 different times how to change the oil but I guess my son wasn't that interested in learning cause every time it needed to be changed he'd have to ask my husband how to do it again. Well, this last time when the oil light came on, instead of changing it he'd just put another quart in it. He overfilled the oil and since my niece was home for the past month for winter break from college she had the car. We had to get my son to and from school and work. My niece left this past Sat and when my son went and picked up the car he was driving it somewhere and the engine died. My husband tried to rip him a new one but my son said, "I didn't have the car for the past month. It was her responsibility to change the oil." My husband was livid saying, "she's letting you use the care scott free and you can't even take $25 to change the oil." At that point I jumped in and told him it's too late to worry about that now. My parent's aren't going to nor can they afford to fix the car so most likely it will be junked. Now my son nor niece have transportation.

I asked my husband if his dad wouldn't mind picking my son up and taking him to school everyday and my husband literally laughed saying he's almost 80 and isn't in the best of health so no, he wasn't even going to ask him. I then asked if his mom wouldn't mind letting my son use her car. Again my husband said no. Both his parents are retired and just sit at home all day. When one of his brother or sister's cars has to go to the shop his mom will just give them her car. I don't see why she won't do it so my son can get back and forth to school and work.

My husband likes to say, "no one drives you car like you do" meaning, you're not going to abuse or tear up your own stuff. This weekend I was arguing with my husband about his truck. He doesn't loan it out to ANYONE. He hardly lets me drive it. He's had it about 2 years and I've probably driven it maybe 20 times. He's NEVER even let my son get in the driver's seat much less even back it out of the driveway. He says I need to cut the apron strings and let him grow up and handle his business. I just feel that as his mom I need to be there for him.

My husband said that ever time my son wants to go somewhere I just hand over my keys. Yes, he's 19 and still at home but he's a good kid. He's in school taking classes and he's going to be a dad soon cause he and his 20 year old girlfriend decided they were ready for a baby. Nothing we can do about that. He's my son and I need to be there for him.

I just feel that he's not willing to lift a finger to help my son. I know he's right but I just don't know what to do.
Buy your son a basic new car. He'll have a warranty and will be able to learn about having it serviced. Having a new car with no payments will help him a great deal in getting back to his education. Blaming your son will serve no good purpose; but letting your son know that he can rely on you will lead to a happy resolution.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:14 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Buy your son a basic new car. He'll have a warranty and will be able to learn about having it serviced. Having a new car with no payments will help him a great deal in getting back to his education. Blaming your son will serve no good purpose; but letting your son know that he can rely on you will lead to a happy resolution.
Please tell me this is sarcasm.

The son had a car with no payments that he borrowed from family and destroyed it. The husband tried to teach him about servicing it, and he refused to do it. Now the niece has no car, and the OP and her son are refusing to repair or replace the car he broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships