Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:42 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times

Advertisements

I think he would appreciate a thank you card. I work in health care, I treasure and save the thank you notes I have received over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Yes.

We sent gift baskets from Harry n Davids to 2 doctors and their staffs last year. They both were great and we felt they went above and beyond. We get the boxes of royal pears. If you haven't had a chance to try those royal pears from them I highly recommend trying it.

We stopped and got strudel from a German bakery a few months ago on the way to a Dr visit. It was close to the end of a set of recurring visits and we wanted to thank them. It was a very early appt, no other patients were in yet so we decided to stop and get some breakfast pastry for the Dr and his 3 staff members.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
You should absolutely do this. They usually only get complaints.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:07 AM

387 posts, read 554,447 times
I have gotten a few cards over the years from patients, and they are much appreciated. As others mentioned, in this day and age, with all the computer work and things we have to do in terms of paperwork out of the office we don't even get paid for, it is a big job. Hearing "thank you" means a lot.

I would stay away from gifts in general - both because with all the new legislation it is a gray area and also because it can sometimes be hard to share and we like to make sure if something comes into the office no one is excluded. But a card is always nice.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:20 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I sent a "thank you" card to my brain surgeon when he removed a tumor. I thanked him for not removing any more brain tissue than he absolutely had to. (He had a great sense of humor, btw).

Old 01-12-2016, 10:33 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Absolutely. Do it

Old 01-12-2016, 10:39 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I would say yes. I'm sure he would appreciate it. Even people who go into the business of helping others like to be reminded that others also think what they do is important. You can never go wrong with kind words.
My dd is a RN and appreciates it when a patient sends her a thank you card. I'm sure your Dr. Would too.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:46 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Surgeons get plenty of thanks.

Have you considered a thank you card for your primary care doc who spends much more time with you, and is arguably as important for your health, but doesn't have the cachet and drama that surgery does? If you add up all the small things over a year, is the primary not as helpful?

Totally agree about the staff, and nurses, too.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:57 AM

135 posts, read 169,790 times
Words can be used powerfully here. I personally would just write a review about the satisfaction in service rendered where it can be seen by the public. In it you can compliment everybody that delivered your satisfaction, seen and unseen. This is very much appreciated as online reviews are unfairly weighted towards complaints when made by real clients.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:06 AM

912 posts, read 914,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
My eye surgeon recently completed the second of two cataract surgeries in the past two years.

I saw him for another follow up visit last week, and don't feel I showed enough appreciation for my better eyesight.

Is it OK to send him a "thank you" card showing my appreciation? He's only human, and may not get thanked enough.
I think a nice handwritten 'thank you' card never goes out of style and is almost always appropriate. Not too long ago I sent handwritten cards and a gift basket to not only my son's neurologist, but also his secretary too (since she is the one that ultimately pulled the neurologist's ear to have him look at my son's medical file). They went above and beyond to care for my son while my son was in CA and they were all the way in MD at Hopkins. They were very appreciative and you are right, I don't think they get thanked enough.

I do these things all the time because I feel that people don't get thanked enough. A few times I even got people promotions. Those make me happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships