Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 PM

19 posts, read 24,936 times

Advertisements

My family and I have been in this town for about 8 years and we really like it here and recently decided to stay and moved to a new house. However, all of the good friends that we used to hang out with have been moving away. It makes me feel sad and worst of all, it's starting to make me feel like we need to be moving, too!

I think I have two issues. One: I'm wondering if we are being too unadventurous by staying in one place, rather than trying to find other opportunities elsewhere. Is it still acceptable to decide to live in one place these days and put down roots or are most people moving around every so often now? My problem is that I'm not really sure where else I'd rather be. I like this town for the size, its safety factor, its kid friendliness, and its proximity to outdoor recreation.

Two: I'm not even sure how to make new friends in this town. We made a lot of our current and past friends when our oldest was very young, so we met other families with kids the same age and then subsequently had our next kids at around the same time. It was nice because our families could easily hang out. Our kids now have many friends through their schools but it's not like we ever really hang out with their parents, aside from some small talk every once in awhile.

Has anyone been in a similar situation of trying to make new friends in a place they have lived in for a while? Sometimes, I think it'd be easier to make friends if we moved somewhere new!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 07:22 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
It's hard to make new friends anywhere. Take the pressure off yourself to do as others. Are you happy where you live? If you move to somewhere else there is no guarantee you'll make friends or they won't move!

We went through something very similar in one town. Everyone kept moving which was tough. New friends came along.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:57 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Friends last a lifetime.
Acquaintances pass through your life at different stages.
Don't worry so much about it & enjoy each day as it comes.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:14 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
Friends? What are they? I just moved to a new town, kids are in a new school and we know nobody. I like it that way personally. Got invited to a few birthday parties, most of the parents here have known each other for ages. It is like a towney town. I guess you could join community groups. That is how I unintentionally made friends in my old town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships