Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:57 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,534,170 times

Advertisements

I am visiting a neighbor tonight with several other neighbors. Stopped to see one this afternoon. Talked to 3 of them yesterday. We have a very close neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 10:20 PM

4,961 posts, read 5,210,665 times
I grew up in the South where you say hello, nod or wave at everybody. I often walk with my dog. I find most people will return the greeting in one way or another. I often have to route myself so I don't stand around and talk for hours. It's very multicultural where I live. Be friendly and other people will too.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:12 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,367,991 times
We lived on a well-traveled road previously and we were lucky if we got a wave from the neighbors - ppl just had their own lives and really weren't all that interested - in the 20+ yrs we lived there, once someone had a cookie exchange and another time we visited w/ a next-door neighbor (kids were the same ages but went to different schools) but that was about it, getting to know others wasn't really a priority (which was ok but it was kind of lonely in the beginning bc we had moved from a friendlier neighborhood). Now in this neighborhood, we do see neighbors more often, we have an HOA and also a clubhouse and ppl are friendlier - while they're a bit reserved in the beginning, there's activities at the clubhouse and ppl are more outgoing in general but of course there's still some who keep to themselves (which is ok, not everyone is a chatty Cathy, in fact sometimes that can be a bit annoying - but a happy medium is good)

Old 01-15-2016, 02:35 AM

5,363 posts, read 3,540,288 times
older neighbours mostly say hello, its the youngsters who hurry past with their heads buried in their mobile phones and never speak.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:11 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,524,645 times
I only say hello if it's unavoidable (e.g. I can't pretend like I didn't see them). My next door neighbor is a nice woman (and probably lonely), so "hello" always turns into a long conversation when I really just want to get into my house or into my car.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:35 AM

35,916 posts, read 30,465,349 times
I live in a rural area with six other properties on a dead end road. Three of the other families are related to me, three are transplants from CA. We all speak to one another when we see each other on the road and help one another out in anyway we can. Small town America .

Old 01-15-2016, 07:50 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,291,034 times
Too much interaction here. I don't know how many times my husband has been called by the closest neighbor to help them out. They are older, and they really need help. However, my husband is on call many nights and weekends, and he is exhausted. He always goes, but we moved out in the country to have some land and space. We are not their family, yet they act like we are.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:07 AM

26,678 posts, read 41,516,486 times
I live in the DC suburbs in a high-rise. I don't say hi to my neighbors and they don't say hi to me. Honestly, I prefer it that way because I don't want them in my business.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:19 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
wow nope no one says hello here and hardly anyone is out of their houses they all live like hermits here and I for one will be glad to leave here when we retire . My neighbors stay in their houses all locked up even on the weekends and it makes me sick . I have to drive 20 minutes to go anywhere I wish we had thought it out more before we moved here but honestly we had no choice since we were living in apt that became full of mold and I was not dealing with that one more minute . Like I say in ten years when we retire if not sooner I will be glad to put the house on the market and say goodbye to this hermit hole indeed .

Old 01-15-2016, 08:23 AM

48,271 posts, read 34,391,475 times
We are a community of 133 houses, so we all pretty much know everyone and say "hi." We live in a state where caucasian's are the minority, so race is basically a non-issue.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships