Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,635 times

Advertisements

Hi,
So I'm having knee surgery soon and I need to hide it from my parents. I still live at home. I fell at my fire station and I have completely destroyed my meniscus. My parents think that I'm being dramatic and currently don't know that I'm having surgery. I'm in a lot of pain. They are going out of town for a week in early February so I was thinking of having the procedure then.

I guess I'm looking for any tips on how to do this? I feel horrible keeping this from them but it's my only option. It would be absolutely ridiculous if I told them, not to mention making my recovery harder. Please help?!

PS: my surgeon said complete recovery time is two to six weeks, however I'll be up and on my feet within the first week and back to driving shortly after.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 07:24 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Welcome to the site!!!

Im so sorry you hurt yourself,why do you feel you have to hide it from your parents??

They love you..... You didnt do this on purpose!! -- Please tell them,they could help you deal with it and get better even faster -- No one loves us MORE than our parents do!!

God bless you my friend!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:54 AM

324 posts, read 271,150 times
Don't hide it. They will just expect you to do more chores when they are gone..

Sit down with them. Show them your DR'S paperwork, better yet take one to the office to view and speak to him/her.

It sounds like you have been hiding and playing down the pain a bit, or they are the type that's it's all about them.

However once healed, you need to figure a way to get a place of your own ASAP. sounds like you have over stayed your welcome at home

Old 01-18-2016, 09:06 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ44 View Post
Hi,
My parents think that I'm being dramatic and currently don't know that I'm having surgery.
Telling them you are having surgery would end that sort of thinking.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:17 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Don't hide it. They will just expect you to do more chores when they are gone..

Sit down with them. Show them your DR'S paperwork, better yet take one to the office to view and speak to him/her.

It sounds like you have been hiding and playing down the pain a bit, or they are the type that's it's all about them.

However once healed, you need to figure a way to get a place of your own ASAP. sounds like you have over stayed your welcome at home
Good comments.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:41 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
If you're adult enough to work at a fire station, you're adult enough to be open with your parents.

I'm sorry this is happening to you, and you will need help after your surgery. It's no joke.

What would they do to make your recovery harder? And if they are so difficult, why do you live with them?

I assume this is a workman's comp issue?

Old 01-18-2016, 11:00 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
If you fell at work, this should be a workers comp case. If you need surgery, you need surgery. That ought to prove you aren't being over dramatic. You are going to need help while you recover. If you still live with them, it would make sense that they be the ones to help.

If you have surgery while they're gone, you might be able to hide that, but there is no way you will be able to hide your rehab. You'll likely be in a brace for weeks.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:59 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If you're adult enough to work at a fire station, you're adult enough to be open with your parents.

I'm sorry this is happening to you, and you will need help after your surgery. It's no joke.

What would they do to make your recovery harder? And if they are so difficult, why do you live with them?

I assume this is a workman's comp issue?
Indeed. OP, your situation makes no sense.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:26 PM

214 posts, read 301,177 times
Assuming this is real, you will need someone to drive you to/from the hospital on the day of surgery (and in all of the experiences I've had, a cab won't cut it, because they want someone to be with you for the day of your surgery). Even if you did something preventable that lead to your injury requiring surgery, you should suck it up and let your parents know.

There is NO way you will be able to hide that surgery, even if they are gone for a week.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:29 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,740 times
Good lord

on top of anything else, knee surgeries don't last for ever so chances are you'll need more surgery at a later date

then how will you explain the First Surgery

oh I forgot to mention it?

I think you're way underestimating the recovery time and the help you'll need afterward - we're talking MONTHS not weeks

my money - you'll be begging for your mom and dad

no shame in that either

surgery HURTS oh and leaves ginormous scars at times which you'll also have to Explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships