Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:16 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times

Advertisements

Stay out of it.. that is very healthy. you brother did it and let him to find a way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 11:52 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,672,101 times
maybe he's slightly autistic

Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
It's Tuesday morning. I hope she comes back to tell us what the bank said.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It's Tuesday morning. I hope she comes back to tell us what the bank said.

I was hoping the same thing.

I was thinking about this. When I opened my first checking account at age 16 I don't think that my parents were "co-signers" or whatever. And, I know for a fact that when my children opened up their own checking accounts at age 18 I certainly was not a co-signer nor had anything to do with their accounts.

BTW, some of my friends had joint checking or joint savings accounts with their college age children to make it easier to deposit money in the accounts for their children to withdraw. Frankly, I wanted to make it as hard as possible for me to deposit money so that they would plan ahead and only ask if it was an emergency. That worked out well because their college town accounts were in totally different banks than my bank and they did only ask when it was absolutely necessary.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
He wasn't sure because he just isn't vested in being a fully functioning independent adult, to be honest, God love him. Our parents have just worn him down over the years with their strict parenting(no friends unless they approve, no dating girls unless they approve, no travel unless they approve, be in the house by 10 p.m. regardless of your age.) He's soooooo compliant he just doesn't do anything.
I think what is being overlooked is in the first sentence. It indicates the young man has some mental deficiency problems.

If that is true, then how able is he to handle his own finances, etc. It is very possible the young man needs parental influence as he does not handle things very well on his own. We don't know his capability. The young man may be 26 years old, but with the mental ability of a 10 year old for example.

His sister has said he is not vested in being a fully functioning adult, and possibly his desires are to be like other young people of his physical age, but does not have he mental capability to handle it.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:21 PM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
We don't know his capability. The young man may be 26 years old, but with the mental ability of a 10 year old for example.
We don't know... but the OP says he has a job and is in college. So he must be smarter than a fifth grader.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:43 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,740 times
Heres how joint accounts work;

either jointly or severally

if its jointly, both signatures are required

if its severally, only one.

My bet its severally therefore mom has emptied the account and hidden/spent the money.

Which she is legally entitled to do unless a Court decides otherwise (unlikely)

Old 01-19-2016, 02:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmover878 View Post
Hello all!

I'm needing some advice on a family situation. My brother is 26 and, against my advice, let his mom be a joint person on his bank account a few years ago. He came to me a few days ago and told me mom wouldn't allow him access to his last paycheck from his retail job. His last paycheck was around 500. The reason for my mom restricting his access was because she didn't want him to use the money to buy whatever he wanted. (My brother isn't a druggie, or alcoholic, or anything like that.) He's a good person. He attends school for his bachelors degree, is pretty much a homebody, doesn't party, doesn't date. This isn't the first time our mother has done something of this nature. Or our dad. His car recently died, the battery died and needed a jumpstart. But My parents refused to jumpstart the car. Their reason? We just moved to New England and they don't want my brother driving in the snow. (Mind you: the roads are very maintained here, the snow plows do an excellent job, and my brother has never once been in an accident or gotten tickets.)

That's all background info! The question is: how can my brother get access to his funds? The bank said he either has to give them a utility bill or a bill with his name on it or come into the branch and get the money(which is in Memphis, TN and we live in New England now). Aside from flying down there to get the money in person, what other options does my brother have?

Thanks in advance!
If there were ever a sign that your brother needs to cut the apron strings, he just got it. Jeez.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmover878 View Post
See that's what I'm thinking. She told him it was a joint account. I'll call on tomorrow with him to see what type of account it is.
Does your brother have a disability? You might want to contact this agency Adult Protective Services, APS (link below)...or his case manager.
National Adult Protective Services Association | National Adult Protective Services Association

Old 01-19-2016, 04:16 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Hmmm, today the back should be open,and bigmover hasn't chimed in to say what they found out.

SOunds like momma made it a custodial account instead of a joint account and has probably absconded with his money.

It sounds to me like the PARENTS {momma} NEEDS the psychological help! SHE is codependent on HIM, not the other way around.

BIGMOVER: HE has to open a new account in HIS NAME ONLY. CAN YOU HELP? give him $50 or $100 to open one in HIS NAME ONLY, and maybe in time he can pay you back. YOU HELP HIM.

It IS agreed, that if he doesn't know which end is up, perhaps he shouldn't have one, but only by using one will he learn! HELP him learn!

HE NEEDS To move out, and be on his own. MOMMA is suffocating him.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships