Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 12:35 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,015,339 times

Advertisements

.. and no I am NOT kidding .
Some of you know I recently moved out of a rising rent ghetto situation and into a way better apt for $500 less in the Seattle area . Money IS an issue that this greatly helps . LOVE the apt and was suggested by a member of CD .

Issue is this : I am 53, husband is 51 one teen left at home who is 15 .
We are all assigned one covered parking space then you can rent a garage also for $100 if you want.
Lady can BARELY walk , cannot hear ( I had to write our names on a piece of paper for her to understand ), in NO WAY should she be behind the wheel of a 1977 Cutlass Supreme station wagon. That is none of my business and would NEVER say that .

Problem is she wants me to give up my covered parking to her for $30 a month . Says she had that arrangement with the previous tenants . This is so she doesn't get wet hauling her medical equipment out to the cutlass to be able to drive it . She came to the door to discuss this as we were actively unloading the truck

I was raised to respect my elders to the max . I have a very expensive little car that is a convertible that in Seattle if left out for weeks at a time will get soaked . I really cannot afford this but don't want to cause problems and do not know what to say ... Her daughter has their covered space AND a garage that has her stuff in it . Daughter wont let her park it in there so she wants mine .

I've not been faced with a severely disabled 95 yr old insisting on my parking space that I really need . I would have NO PROBLEM if this were a younger person telling them the way it is .

A friend of mine say some older people use their age to get their way and to ignore it . I really don't know what to think. I pulled up tonight waiting on my daughter and husband and she stared a hole in my car the entire time I was waiting .
Seriously- eventually my car will be ruined . It's gotta have time to dry out .

What would you do ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 12:44 AM

422 posts, read 335,729 times
A polite but firm no! I get it she is old, but it isn't like she doesn't have her own space and a garage! There is a difference between respecting (ie being polite and helpful) and letting someone railroad you into something that is going to very negatively impact you, and your pocketbook.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:38 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,142 times
I agree w/Qtpie that you should tell her in a polite-yet-firm way that she already has a space and a garage, so she can use one of them. Maybe if she resists your refusal you could mention that if she doesn't expect her own child to help her, how can she expect you (basically a stranger to her) to do so?

I understand that you want to be kind, but the woman sounds entitled and pushy. It's very unreasonable for a neighbor to expect this from you just because a prior tenant was willing to let her use the space. That has nothing to do with you, and it's ridiculous for her to give that as a reason why you "must" let her use your space.

You need to say no to her, and let her know that your decision is *not* up for discussion! I think you know that you are going to be upset and resentful if you let this woman bully you out of a parking space that you need for yourself.

Last edited by Gfab1; 01-20-2016 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-20-2016, 02:13 AM

30,473 posts, read 16,182,476 times
just say no.

you don't have to explain. If you mention other options(the daughter), you may start something best not started.

Let her glare. You can't cater to everyone who glares at you.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:57 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,385,533 times
And buy a security camera, just in case, pointed to your covered parking space.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:00 AM

350 posts, read 333,105 times
I agree, a polite "no".

Old 01-20-2016, 03:03 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,195,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
.. and no I am NOT kidding .
Some of you know I recently moved out of a rising rent ghetto situation and into a way better apt for $500 less in the Seattle area . Money IS an issue that this greatly helps . LOVE the apt and was suggested by a member of CD .

Issue is this : I am 53, husband is 51 one teen left at home who is 15 .
We are all assigned one covered parking space then you can rent a garage also for $100 if you want.
Lady can BARELY walk , cannot hear ( I had to write our names on a piece of paper for her to understand ), in NO WAY should she be behind the wheel of a 1977 Cutlass Supreme station wagon. That is none of my business and would NEVER say that .

Problem is she wants me to give up my covered parking to her for $30 a month . Says she had that arrangement with the previous tenants . This is so she doesn't get wet hauling her medical equipment out to the cutlass to be able to drive it . She came to the door to discuss this as we were actively unloading the truck

I was raised to respect my elders to the max . I have a very expensive little car that is a convertible that in Seattle if left out for weeks at a time will get soaked . I really cannot afford this but don't want to cause problems and do not know what to say ... Her daughter has their covered space AND a garage that has her stuff in it . Daughter wont let her park it in there so she wants mine .

I've not been faced with a severely disabled 95 yr old insisting on my parking space that I really need . I would have NO PROBLEM if this were a younger person telling them the way it is .

A friend of mine say some older people use their age to get their way and to ignore it . I really don't know what to think. I pulled up tonight waiting on my daughter and husband and she stared a hole in my car the entire time I was waiting .
Seriously- eventually my car will be ruined . It's gotta have time to dry out .

What would you do ?
Tell her no and let her stare. If her daughter was more considerate of her Mother's needs this would not be an issue and it is not your issue.

Edited to add: There is something else to consider as well in the long term. If you would make this arrangement with her, when she dies her daughter may assume the arrangement is still good and start using your space as well. Do you really want to have to deal with that in the future?

Old 01-20-2016, 03:08 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,549,805 times
I agree not to let her have the space. You owe her nothing. But I would be worried about my car being keyed, so as another poster mentioned, a security camera is in order.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:03 AM

51,642 posts, read 25,774,605 times
Offer to rent it to her at $200/month. That way she can park close to her door, being that she's old and all.

You rent a garage for $100 and your car is totally protected.

Plus, you have $100 to go towards the rent.

Win-win.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:50 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,413,062 times
Please heed the previous comments. This is an issue only due to her daughter's unwillingness to help her mother. It's not like you don't have a legitimate need for the space, but frankly even if you wanted to leave the space empty it is your prerogative. Jeez, some people sure are pushy and entitled and age has nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships