Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 06:23 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

I have been having some bedroom difficulties with my partner and it has been causing me a lot of anguish... in a moment of weakness I revealed some rather gory details to my parents who insisted on knowing what is wrong with me (out of concern of course) and I also discussed with my brother and sister, now I feel like I should never have revealed something so personal to them My dad was even trying to give me some information on different techniques I thought I was going to puke listening to that! holy cow, TMI!!!!!

How do you think I should contain the damage? I was thinking of just calling them up and telling them that it was just temporary stress and everything is good now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 06:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have been having some bedroom difficulties with my partner and it has been causing me a lot of anguish... in a moment of weakness I revealed some rather gory details to my parents who insisted on knowing what is wrong with me (out of concern of course) and I also discussed with my brother and sister, now I feel like I should never have revealed something so personal to them My dad was even trying to give me some information on different techniques I thought I was going to puke listening to that! holy cow, TMI!!!!!

How do you think I should contain the damage? I was thinking of just calling them up and telling them that it was just temporary stress and everything is good now.
Nope.

Move forward, not backward.

Don't ever bring it up again, and if THEY do, nip it in the bud.

Does your partner know you told them????

Old 01-20-2016, 06:30 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
You should have been generic with information to your family and kept the details for the discussion with your partner and kept this issue between you two.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I can almost see accidentally breaking and saying something to 1 person. Not 3. You should feel bad. Don't do any more damage by bringing it up again.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:04 PM

I revealed it to them because I was in a vulnerable moment and at the time my partner was not too understanding or empathetic. I could not reveal to friends as it was too embarrassing. I just needed to be heard and get some emotional support. Unfortunately this was the only avenue.

My bro has revealed some very personal things to me so I felt the exchange was rather equal, i'm very close to my sis and talk to her about my relationship issues so I did not feel too bad, my parents on the other hand I think I should not have told.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
...my parents on the other hand I think I should not have told.
Correct.

SO I guess your partner doesn't know you told them? Because things are going to be SUPER awkward between THEM from now on.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:39 PM

My parents live in another country half a world away and have never met my partner and going forward due to the distance interaction is going to be minimal

Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
My parents live in another country half a world away and have never met my partner and going forward due to the distance interaction is going to be minimal
Whenever they DO interact, though ...

JK

It sounds like you don't have much of a support network where you live. Relying on your SO too much for emotional support puts a TON of pressure on the relationship. I would work on rounding out your non-romantic relationships so you DO have an outlet for support.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:40 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Whenever they DO interact, though ...

JK

It sounds like you don't have much of a support network where you live. Relying on your SO too much for emotional support puts a TON of pressure on the relationship. I would work on rounding out your non-romantic relationships so you DO have an outlet for support.
Or find a good therapist.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Or find a good therapist.
Can't afford a therapist at $300/hr unfortunately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships