Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
It might just be an age related I'm-actually-mortal type of thing. My brother was the nicest person on earth and then about 6 years ago he went from day to night. Now he rants constantly about Obama and illegals and welfare losers and on and on and on and on and on. If you let him, he'll go for 15 minutes straight without even drawing breath. I gave up trying to get a word in edgewise when I was talking to him once and finally hung up the phone on him. According to my mom (I don't talk to him anymore), he seems to be well adjusted and normal if you don't set him off, so who knows?

People just get scared sometimes. I've been homeless and through hard times and I know I can survive, but my brother has never been in a situation where something bad has happened to him, like a job loss or losing his house. Sometimes when people are afraid of things happening to them that they can't control, they start going overboard on the things they can control.
How old is your brother? Could this be related to mid-life hormonal changes? That man sounds like he needs a testosterone fix, lol! Hormone replacement for men can take curmudgeons and turn them into purring pussycats. Male hormone replacement has been known to save marriages, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 07:26 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
My brother is only 56, but he probably started this when he was let's see, about 48 or 49. Whatever, I'm not about to call him and ask about his hormones, though! I'd have to sit through another 30 minute lecture of why Obama was responsible for WWII. It's not worth it.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
My brother is only 56, but he probably started this when he was let's see, about 48 or 49. Whatever, I'm not about to call him and ask about his hormones, though! I'd have to sit through another 30 minute lecture of why Obama was responsible for WWII. It's not worth it.
Wow, if your brother thinks that Obama was responsible for a war that happened before he was even born I suspect that he has more problems than just hormones.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Once again, I do not care about the economic discussion. That was not the point of my post and you are wasting your time about the subject.

The point of the post was a sudden change in his behavior, coupled with a family history of mental issues and my hubbys concern.

*sheesh*
So you're saying had your father in law heard this economic forecast five years ago his reaction would have been totally different? That he's never been one to worry or be concerned about news of a downward spiral? I think that's what you are saying. A sudden or drastic change in behavior coupled with family history would seem to suggest he needs to see his physician. If he has ever shown any concern in the past, I wouldn't worry about him too much (it's currently a big topic in the news).

Old 01-28-2016, 02:42 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow, if your brother thinks that Obama was responsible for a war that happened before he was even born I suspect that he has more problems than just hormones.
That was an exaggeration. It was based on the hundreds and hundreds of posts I've read on Yahoo comments of what Obama haters seem to think he's responsible for in the same way you still have die hard Planned Parenthood haters thinking they cut up babies and sell their parts. Some people just get ideas in their heads and nothing on earth are going to change their minds, proof and facts be damned.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Sure it could happen. The super volcano in Yosemite could blow tomorrow. Could.

I'm not interested in taking about economic models. I'm asking about how to deal with a sudden paranoid rant from my FIL that seems extreme and has worried my husband. If you're not going to discuss that feel free to visit here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/economics/
Judging from this snarky comment I question your reactions...a bit over the top...get a grip...turn on the news, listen to your fil, and research the subject. If you disagree make sure it is based on logical conclusions resulting from your knowledge. You fil has some knowledge he was sharing, maybe he's invested heavily in oil company stock's.
You may not agree but that does not automatically make the other person with whom you disagree mentally ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships