Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:17 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times

Advertisements

My parents divorced a year or two after I moved out. My mother wrote me a melodramatic letter to break the news. I guess she thought I would be devastated, whereas I could not possibly care less.

The divorce became another piece of the puzzle, to be assembled with all the rest and form the true picture of the 18 years I spent at home.

My mother was (and still is) obsessed with my sister. My father felt rejected once my sister arrived on the scene. I believe he eventually comforted himself with the notion that when his children left home, he'd get his wife back.

It didn't work out that way. He filed for divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 04:29 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times
What you need is a big hug not a big lecture. They will be your parents no matter what. If it is possible love them both. It is quiet uneasy at the beginning but life will bounce back to normal. Big hug Take care.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:27 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Divorce is hardest on children age 3 to teen years but even as an adult it's very tough. My older sister divorced her husband when my niece and nephew were late teens and early 20s and it still was hard for them. A few years down the road and they have accepted it and things are better.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:26 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times
It is very hard to have the world you know be changed so dramatically. I am an oldest child of divorced parents and it was so hard on us kids. We didn't get any say in anything and it changed my mind so much about trust and marriage that I didn't get married until I was 32 although we had been together for almost 10 years.

Maybe you need to talk to a therapist just to sort out your feelings. The best thing you can do for your younger brothers is be there for them, take them places where they can talk without the 'rents. You may have step-parental units in the future, I've had multiple, couple stepmothers and one short-term stepdad. Life goes on because divorce is a fact of life.

BTW my own marriage is now longer than my parents, having a great partner is one of the best things in life.
Stay close to your siblings, now and in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships