Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:31 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times

Advertisements

Just be like "oh hey gurrl.... we never made plans for your bday....lemme at least take u out to dinner or something"....and just see what she says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 01:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
That's just silly. The non specific invite is probably the last on a list of why she may not have replied, and more likely not even on the list. Can you imagine someone not replying to an invite because "you didn't tell me when and where"? Seriously.

OP, you did nothing wrong aside from the fact that you didn't follow up. Do it and see what happens.

It's very silly. Who contacts someone about THEIR BIRTHDAY and than gives specifics? You don't dictate to them what day and time and what restaurant. It's their birthday.

As you said the OP should have followed up, considering they work together that's very easy to do.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's very silly. Who contacts someone about THEIR BIRTHDAY and than gives specifics? You don't dictate to them what day and time and what restaurant. It's their birthday.

As you said the OP should have followed up, considering they work together that's very easy to do.
I think you need to read up on what constitutes an invitation. One was never offered by the OP:

in·vi·ta·tion
ˌinvəˈtāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: invitation; plural noun: invitations

a written or verbal request inviting someone to go somewhere or to do something.
"a wedding invitation"
synonyms: request to attend, call, summons; More
offer;
card, note;
informalinvite
"an invitation to dinner"
the action of inviting someone to go somewhere or to do something.
"a club with membership by invitation only"
a situation or action that tempts someone to do something or makes a particular outcome likely.
"tactics like those of the colonel would have been an invitation to disaster"
synonyms: encouragement, provocation, temptation, lure, magnet, bait, enticement, attraction, allure; informalcome-on
"an open door is an invitation to a thief"

Origin
late Middle English: from French, or from Latin invitatio(n-), from invitare (see invite).
Translate invitation to
Use over time for: invitation

Since it was to celebrate a birthday, of course the date, time and location should be left up to the invitee.
But the OP never got that far, she suggested doing "something" "whenever" the other girl was free. She left it wide open.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think you need to read up on what constitutes an invitation. One was never offered by the OP:

in·vi·ta·tion
ˌinvəˈtāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: invitation; plural noun: invitations

a written or verbal request inviting someone to go somewhere or to do something.
"a wedding invitation"
synonyms: request to attend, call, summons; More
offer;
card, note;
informalinvite
"an invitation to dinner"
the action of inviting someone to go somewhere or to do something.
"a club with membership by invitation only"
a situation or action that tempts someone to do something or makes a particular outcome likely.
"tactics like those of the colonel would have been an invitation to disaster"
synonyms: encouragement, provocation, temptation, lure, magnet, bait, enticement, attraction, allure; informalcome-on
"an open door is an invitation to a thief"

Origin
late Middle English: from French, or from Latin invitatio(n-), from invitare (see invite).
Translate invitation to
Use over time for: invitation

Since it was to celebrate a birthday, of course the date, time and location should be left up to the invitee.
But the OP never got that far, she suggested doing "something" "whenever" the other girl was free. She left it wide open.

Where in that post did I say invite or invitation? I didn't.

This is what the OP said to her friend "Your birthday is coming up, let's do something fun to celebrate this week, or whenever you're free!"

That let's the friend since it is their birthday decide when, where, and how they want to celebrate.

Perhaps the OP could have thrown out " I would like to take you for dinner, you pick the restaurant and the date and time", but she didn't.

It was simply an offer.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:42 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
the definition of the the word "invitation".... lol

holy crap, I can't imagine my friendships being this complicated.

Pick up the phone, and ask her if she'd like to catch up for her birthday.

Sheesh.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:18 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Is the art of conversation a lost art? TALK TO HER ! Geez, why make this more complicated?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
I think the friend didn't see the text. I think that because the friend later texted the OP about something and didn't mention it. Obviously, the friend didn't see it. It happens.

If it were me, I'd call her and ask her if she got my text. If not, tell her I sent it, so she'll know I invited her. If she did, ask her if she just didn't feel like doing anything, or what. No big deal. This happens with me sometimes. I just ask, or they just ask me.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:

Excuse me? The person extending the invitation always is in charge of the logistics. Ideally, they are taking into account the invitee's likes, preferences, availability...but the person asking is always responsible.

Now, if the invitee cannot meet the date or has the other suggestions, the invitor should look at other dates and times to accommodate, but is under no obligation to do so.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Excuse me? The person extending the invitation always is in charge of the logistics. Ideally, they are taking into account the invitee's likes, preferences, availability...but the person asking is always responsible.

Now, if the invitee cannot meet the date or has the other suggestions, the invitor should look at other dates and times to accommodate, but is under no obligation to do so.
Whatever. We pretty much said the same thing. It doesn't do any good to say " I'm going to take you to dinner on such and such a date and we'll be having Mexican food" if the honoree isn't available and doesn't care for the restaurant. But yes, the invite issuer should specify a date( or a couple of options), and suggest some restaurants within a reasonable driving distance as well as her budget.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:04 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
And perhaps she has done so. She hasn't come back to the thread.

Personally, I prefer a text invite to a phone call or a face-to-face. A text is no different than a written invitation, just a lot more expedient for the parties involved. And it gives me a chance to decide whether to say yes or not, without being put on the spot.
OK, see, here's the problem: Why is accepting or declining an invitation "being put on the spot"? Honestly, how self-absorbed is that, that you feel soooo much in demand that a refusal from you to attend a gathering is going to devastate someone to the point where you are AFRAID of telling someone "yes, I'd love to," or "I'm sorry, no, I can't make it, I've already got other plans that night" because they might start arguing with you and begging you to come? And you don't have the cajones to say "No" with charm and dignity.

Really? And while you're "thinking" about it, the other person is wondering, "Gee, I wonder if they got my text message . . . they aren't answering . . . ." and we're right back where we started.

If you don't have a calendar in front of you, you can always say, "Let me check my calendar and get back to. you." Learn the art of saying "No," with a smile, even on a phone.

I don't have the antipathy towards text messages that some people do -- according to my phone bill, I'm probably a power user :-) -- but I do think there is far too much reliance on text messages as a means of communication when sometimes, the simplest method of all is just -- talking:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships