Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:18 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

My mom tried to complain to me about my dad ONCE.

I stopped her right there. I said "I am your child - not your friend." End of discussion.

Do not get involved, you don't have to be part of the drama. She can vent to her therapist, friends, siblings, neighbor, whatever. Not the son.

Good luck ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:32 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Okay CD. Basically, my mother and my stepfather are about to separate and I want NO part of the drama. My mother keeps trying to talk to me about their drama even though I've said on multiple occasions I want no part of their drama since I know from past experiences that divorces get ugly fast for ANYONE involved and it is hard enough trying to get somewhere as a millennial in the job market. Am I wrong for not wanting to deal with the fallout aside from IF mom is in a desperate situation which very little chance of that happening? I'm just not apt to be an emotional tampon.
I wonder if she is like my mother, she married someone NOBODY liked after my father passed. She lost all her friends because she didn't bother trying to keep up decades long friendships. Now, she has no friends and dumps all her problems on me. It's a tough situation when we all have our own problems. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:49 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Okay CD. Basically, my mother and my stepfather are about to separate and I want NO part of the drama. My mother keeps trying to talk to me about their drama even though I've said on multiple occasions I want no part of their drama since I know from past experiences that divorces get ugly fast for ANYONE involved and it is hard enough trying to get somewhere as a millennial in the job market. Am I wrong for not wanting to deal with the fallout aside from IF mom is in a desperate situation which very little chance of that happening? I'm just not apt to be an emotional tampon.
Maybe I am mixing you up with another poster, but from your many posts doesn't you mother live in another part of the country from you? If that is correct than you have long distance as advantage. You can be supportive but that doesn't mean you answer her calls every time she calls.

Not sure how this would have any impact on your job. You're not dealing with a situation where your mother is seriously ill and you have to take FMLA.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
You can't stay neutral between your mother and your stepfather. You must remain in your mother's corner.

That doesn't mean you must join in opposition against your stepfather, but it is your job to listen. It was her job to change your dirty diapers, her job to make sure you had clean clothes and an education and a whole lot more.
Some day it will be your job to assist her when she is too old, and it will be your job to bury her. It won't hurt you to sit still and listen politely.

Some mothers are better than others. Some mothers are better at certain times than at other times. The degree to which you listen should be modified by what has happened in the past, but I do think you should be a little more tolerant.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:12 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You can't stay neutral between your mother and your stepfather. You must remain in your mother's corner.

That doesn't mean you must join in opposition against your stepfather, but it is your job to listen. It was her job to change your dirty diapers, her job to make sure you had clean clothes and an education and a whole lot more.
Some day it will be your job to assist her when she is too old, and it will be your job to bury her. It won't hurt you to sit still and listen politely.

Some mothers are better than others. Some mothers are better at certain times than at other times. The degree to which you listen should be modified by what has happened in the past, but I do think you should be a little more tolerant.
Excuse me? Raising me was her responsibility since she gave birth to me. That's what you are supposed to do as a parent. The way I see it she chose to get married, she needs to be an adult and work this situation out and she has no right to subject me to the chaos that is gonna come. Now the only situation I'll definitely get involved is IF she is in imminent danger, I will NOT be her emotional tampon.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:14 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Maybe I am mixing you up with another poster, but from your many posts doesn't you mother live in another part of the country from you? If that is correct than you have long distance as advantage. You can be supportive but that doesn't mean you answer her calls every time she calls.

Not sure how this would have any impact on your job. You're not dealing with a situation where your mother is seriously ill and you have to take FMLA.
She lives in Indiana, I'm in DC. I need to train myself to not answer every call.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:20 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Excuse me? Raising me was her responsibility since she gave birth to me. That's what you are supposed to do as a parent. The way I see it she chose to get married, she needs to be an adult and work this situation out and she has no right to subject me to the chaos that is gonna come. Now the only situation I'll definitely get involved is IF she is in imminent danger, I will NOT be her emotional tampon.
Then you have spoken. That's your decision and that should be the end of it. Your mother; your life; your relationship.

But you did ask if you were right or wrong, and I am saying that staying in a relationship with a parent carries with it a certain amount of responsibility. It's not like she is trying to move in with you.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
She lives in Indiana, I'm in DC. I need to train myself to not answer every call.

I thought that was you. Well they're you go, you have the luxury of actual distance between you. Imagine if you lived within 20 miles of each other.

That's it, don't answer every call or if you email, don't respond back right away.

Of course she is your mother, but he is not your father. But you don't want to get in the middle of this. Besides it could turn around, you say something about him negative, they straighen things out between them, and now you're the bad guy.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:40 PM

416 posts, read 588,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
But you did ask if you were right or wrong, and I am saying that staying in a relationship with a parent carries with it a certain amount of responsibility. It's not like she is trying to move in with you.

...at least, not yet.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:45 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Quote:

You are absolutely not wrong. Stick to your guns. You start chiming in, then you may as well be going thru a divorce too. It's mentally exhausting. I would just keep asking that she respect your position and keep you out of it. Eventually they'll get it. Hopefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships