Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:27 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

It can become a viscious cycle... Just as it's easier to get another job if you already have a job, it's easier to make friends if you already have friends... Assuming you WANT friends...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 06:30 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
I haven't read through this whole thread but, the greatest of writers have thought through their work while alone. The greatest of Artists have done this alone. Just something to think about.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:02 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
A nice man in our neighborhood seems to be alone quite often. I see him in public places on a regular basis and he is mostly alone. He walks around the neighborhood and is is alone and he lives by himself. My kids are always talking about him. They say he must be some type of weirdo because he is alone in public. I asked my son about that and they said that in school if you are seen all alone, you are viewed as a weirdo.

Do you think that people who are soon mostly alone in the adult world are viewed that way too? You may enjoy or like being alone but people assume something in wrong with you.
People are social creatures, so being alone all of the time is "weird" in that it is out of the norm, but I don't see it as being an automatic negative. I'm alone in my free time...and happy. I've never been happy being a part of the herd when it wasn't necessary. It's probably because of my independence.

Aristotle has a great quote on this:''He who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because he is sufficient for himself, must be either a beast or a god.''

Old 03-12-2016, 08:24 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
There are so many reasons a person is alone. A person should not be judged by that.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:16 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,958 times
Many times it's better to be in your own company than the wrong company.

Teaching moment for kids - don't make assumptions and be kind to others.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:47 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
There are so many reasons a person is alone. A person should not be judged by that.

This is exactly right, you never know a person's situation. Could be many things, many sad things, or maybe the person just likes to be alone. Maybe you could show your child to think of others, and show kindness. Maybe say hello and speak to the man instead of making an assumption or judging him. Take care.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:21 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
Some wolves live alone & thrive away from packs.

Meanwhile animals like lions and tigers seem to always be around their kind and living in packs.

But you will never see a wolf cooperate and be trained to perform in a circus like lions and tigers.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:43 PM

231 posts, read 201,874 times
I am one of those people who is always alone, OP, and at first I felt like a loser but then I accepted it.

Then I learned I am an introvert which makes up about 30% of the world population!

So it's not my fault that I am a loner, I Was born this way which makes me feel better about it!

Old 03-17-2016, 02:30 PM

429 posts, read 390,779 times
There are different kinds of loners. You have a normal looking person with a laptop or inline skating, or reading in public. Then you see that weirdo drunk homeless dude rocking back and forth. Or the lady with 20 cats who's a hoarder. Or the peeping Tom across the hall who looks like he'll strangle you if speak to him. Severely mentally ill or addicts are often loners. Not all loners are mentally ill or addicts.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Just remember...........being alone and being lonely are not the same.

I was alone and fine..........but, I did marry.

In time I was alone and lonely...........he was with his drinking pals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships