Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:52 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times

Advertisements

I think it's a little of both. You have gotten used to living alone, but your guest IS rude. It would help if you explained the situation more. IF this is going to be a long-term thing and wasn't just a weekend, then you need to lay some ground rules about sharing responsibilities for the house, groceries, etc. Overall, I think your guest is in the wrong, but....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 12:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I have a friend who stays up all night. I do not always, but sometimes I do.

Which I will get to later.

But, isn't this rude?

I have a love-seat up against a wall a few feet too far to watch TV from. And frankly, it's a clean laundry hamper, which is my right :-)

I offer an office like chair and my friend makes a big show of how uncomfortable it is - which is rude to begin with, imo.

He doesn't say 'do you mind if we clear off this love seat?'

He just pulls it out and sits on my laundry!

I said no no, and put it in a basket.

Then he took the cushion - the one you're supposed to lean against - and sat ON it.

I was like hello?

There is more, but I will start with that.

I don't know how to deal with someone who takes charge of my space, in general.

Besides banishing him from it.

I don't want to make him feel like he's on eggshells but I am sure not willing to feel that way in my own home!
Don't let him stay long, and don't invite him for overnight again.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:21 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,489 times
After reading this post, I wonder if the guest was invited or is someone who recently appeared for an indeterminate visit and coincidentally happens to have been evicted, formally or otherwise, from his prior home.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
How did this person come to be a guest in your home, OP? He shouldn't be invited back.

That said, I've noticed that few people these days have been raised to practice courteous behavior. Everything is more informal now, and people have no clue that they're being presumptuous. I had a friend who several times tried to invite herself into my home. I take it that she assumed that was ok because we were friends. It forced me on one occasion to say point blank that I wasn't ready to have guests. Another time, we agreed to meet in 1/2 an hour at a coffee shop, but instead she arrived at my door and leaned on the doorbell. I was in the shower at the time, thinking I had 1/2 hour to get ready and drive to the location. I ignored the repeated doorbell rings, and she finally went away, and we met as previously had been agreed upon.

When people help themselves to things that are awkward for you (sitting on your laundry? Really?), it's ok to politely but firmly say, "I'm sorry, I wasn't ready for a guest on such short notice. You're sitting on my laundry. All I have available right now is the chair I offered you." If the clod demands you accommodate him the way he wants, you can say, "This isn't working. Could you come back later after I have a chance to get some groceries and clean up? Or maybe another day?"

I'm annoyed enough at this kind of behavior that I don't mind pushing back a bit. If people don't get the hint, think about it: do you really need friends like that? I bet there's more to their personality that isn't a good fit. That's been the case on the rare occasion I've had a problematic "friend".
I agree manners seem to be going by the wayside these days. But in the case of your friend I would have had no problem telling them do not come over without calling/texting and seeing if it's OK.

Beyond rude to just show up unannounced with the exception of some type of emergency. And these days there is no reason for it with the many ways to communicate.

That was good that you didn't answer the door. But I would have told her at the coffeeshop "gee someone was ringing my doorbell nonstop while I was in the shower"....LOL.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:34 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
He doesn't spend the night, he likes to stay UP all night.

And he is inviting himself.

Often at midnight, when he gets off work.

I don't have a chance to go around getting ready for a guest.

Often, I'm like 'sure ok' and I re-arrange what I watch to show things I know he is also interested in, and offer whatever I have to eat or drink.

lol about the creamers - it was because it was a small cup I thought 2 might be too much.

I think it's crazy to ask me 'why did you do that?' with the creamers sitting in front of him.

Like admonishing me for not following instructions.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
How did this person come to be a guest in your home, OP? He shouldn't be invited back.

That said, I've noticed that few people these days have been raised to practice courteous behavior. Everything is more informal now, and people have no clue that they're being presumptuous. I had a friend who several times tried to invite herself into my home. I take it that she assumed that was ok because we were friends. It forced me on one occasion to say point blank that I wasn't ready to have guests. Another time, we agreed to meet in 1/2 an hour at a coffee shop, but instead she arrived at my door and leaned on the doorbell. I was in the shower at the time, thinking I had 1/2 hour to get ready and drive to the location. I ignored the repeated doorbell rings, and she finally went away, and we met as previously had been agreed upon.

When people help themselves to things that are awkward for you (sitting on your laundry? Really?), it's ok to politely but firmly say, "I'm sorry, I wasn't ready for a guest on such short notice. You're sitting on my laundry. All I have available right now is the chair I offered you." If the clod demands you accommodate him the way he wants, you can say, "This isn't working. Could you come back later after I have a chance to get some groceries and clean up? Or maybe another day?"

I'm annoyed enough at this kind of behavior that I don't mind pushing back a bit. If people don't get the hint, think about it: do you really need friends like that? I bet there's more to their personality that isn't a good fit. That's been the case on the rare occasion I've had a problematic "friend".
Yes, I think it's a way of asserting himself into my space - I think I find that more bothersome than the actual details.

I did say what? no, I don't want that sat on. He said why? it's just pressure. I was like what? Who behaves this way?

So I put it into a basket.

Then he goes to the bathroom later and I see the big fat cushion that is for the back UNDERNEATH him I was like no you can't sit on that.

'Well, I did before and you didn't say anything'

Because I didn't see you do it!

Is it not common sense that those aren't to be sat on? They will flatten.

Also, that love seat isn't situated to see the TV well. It has to be pulled out from the wall.

I think it's polite to put it back.

I also think it's weird to walk into my kitchen to GET something but not to throw anything away.

There is always trash on my coffee table for me to pick up.

I'm just not used to people acting this way.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:38 PM

525 posts, read 659,949 times
Well it doesn't sound like you enjoy the company much. Tell him not to come over next time. And yes, I think he's rude and he is acting like a weird combination of guest, relative, or friend that has poor boundaries. I have a friend like this. It's like she doesn't know where she ends and I begin. My stuff is her stuff, my space is her space, and she imposes in my space in ways that drive me nuts. Luckily she lives out of town so I only have to deal with her for short 3-4 day visits a few times a year.

If you want the guys company you have a couple of choices; you can call him out when he's being a butthead and tell him to stop treating your space badly and stop treating you badly, or you can ignore it. But it won't change unless you make it happen.

And now I need to take my own advice and tell my friend that her upcoming visit will not work for me.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:10 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
He doesn't spend the night, he likes to stay UP all night.

And he is inviting himself.

Often at midnight, when he gets off work.

I don't have a chance to go around getting ready for a guest.

Often, I'm like 'sure ok' and I re-arrange what I watch to show things I know he is also interested in, and offer whatever I have to eat or drink.

Oh, this is easy. Next time, say, "No, you can't come over now. Maybe another time. Have a good night."

Rinse and repeat.

If he is calling, just say the above phrase and hang up.

If he is actually coming to your door, open it a crack (or if you have a lock chain, don't remove the chain) and say the above phrase and quietly close the door. Or, alternatively, have your lights off and don't open the door. Hopefully, you have not given him a key. If you have, change the locks.

If he is texting, type the phrase in and hit send.

Any questions?

Old 02-21-2016, 06:16 PM

I guess I don't anymore, you're right.

Since he started coming more often he's just taking too many liberties and I don't want to be complaining at someone all the time.

I don't want to stay up that late anymore so one night when he asked if I wanted to hang out and go eat I said sure but I have to go to bed so I can only watch one show (an hour).

He said he'd wait because he likes to 'settle in' and I was thinking 'yeah that is the problem'

He lives a few blocks away so it's not like he's coming from too far for an hour + eating not to be worth it.

I feel like he's manipulating me and I have to counter-manipulate using phrases like have been suggested here.

I do like to sometimes have breakfast at night.

But it's gotten to where I feel like that is a little trap.

He doesn't ASK if I want him to come in before or after he just ASSUMES and walks in.

I don't always want to be correcting him. I don't want to have to always say 'sorry, I can't hang out, I have to go to bed'.

I think normal people say 'do you want to watch a movie now or are you tired?' rather than just get out of the car and walk in.

That is the sort of thing that makes me feel he's intentionally seeing how much he can simply ASSERT himself to get what he wants.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:17 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,199 times
Why would you have someone in your house you don't want? Did I miss something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships