Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:25 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times

Advertisements

There are literally generations of people who don't know that one of their rights in the USA is the right to a private vote. You should never have to divulge your political preference.

We need to return civics classes to our education curriculum.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:29 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,666 times
I actually enjoy talking about politics, however I understand that it is off-putting, and I rarely bring it up to people (only my husband and the handful of people who I know share my opinions). I don't purposely seek out to alienate people or upset them.

As a matter of fact, I actually purposely do not reach out to people or talk to them much during an election year. I learned my lesson in 2012, so now I kinda go into social exile until November. Its a shame because I should be putting effort into relationships, but there is so many "bad" topics during an election year. Straight out politics is obvious, but try getting into a discussion about education without slipping up and start talking about common core, and then BAM - you start talking about what the candidates think about common core. So then you start talking about your job, or jobs in general, then it gets into how your company is doing, which turns into the economy, which gets into politics - BAM it happened again. Worst yet, try to talk about going to the Dr, you start getting into a topic of healthcare costs or how healthcare is in America today, then BAM - election talk.

It is VERY HARD to avoid it! I just avoid talking in fear I may accidentally bring something up that will turn into that. I talk about recipes, going to the gym, nutrition, the weather, my pets - mainly all "safe" topics that are kind of superficial. Not a big movie fan, there is no Football this time of year, and I really watch very little TV besides the news and a couple of TV shows that barely anybody else watches so I can't talk about that. I don't really get deep this time of year on an election year, the conversation just spirals out of control. I will talk more around Thanksgiving - Football season will be back, and the election will be over.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:38 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I feel like I am going to have no - or few - friends left by the time Nov. 3 comes.
People don't believe me - or just ignore me - when I say "I don't want to talk about the election."
Why don't they believe me?
I just got an idea - I am going to start following the NBA closely and when someone wants to tell me their analysis of this caucus or this primary, I will start giving them a play-by-play of the last NBA game.

seriously, I care about things, I just care about different things, and I don't force my issues onto the people I know - so why do they force their issues on me.
I'm interested in the tribes in the Amazon that are becoming extinct due to illegal logging.
I'm interested in zika, and women being told to "avoid pregnancy", and the impacts on reproductive freedom in those countries with high amount of birth defect.

the people I know are not interested in these kinds of issues. I know - bec. I say something and people give me a blank look. OK, that's ok.
we can talk about food and restaurants and how are the kids.
fine.
but people seem to feel they have a right to impose on me by leading into conversations that I want no part of.

Am I being unreasonable?
If I'm not, then how to react? At this point I am avoiding people-- I am avoiding people bec. I know I'm going to become angry, or make someone angry at me.

Maybe they haven't heard about Etiquette: it's a no-no to bring up politics, sex, or religion in conversations. It's too inflammatory because of deep seated opposing views and can be horribly insensitive.

You are totally correct in your resistance to discuss the topic.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:54 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,661 times
I feel your pain, OP. We don't even live in the US and my husband is glued to his computer monitor to not just read all the latest but to then try and get me involved and excited about it.

I feel like politics in the US is just like a big circus and it may as well be the Superbowl. Just a huge distraction, a stage with over-the-top puppets. Doesn't matter who wins, because they all have the same boss. Canada is no better - it's just missing the cheerleaders.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:10 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
I feel like I am going to have no - or few - friends left by the time Nov. 3 comes.
People don't believe me - or just ignore me - when I say "I don't want to talk about the election."
I just got an idea - I am going to start following the NBA closely and when someone wants to tell me their analysis of this caucus or this primary, I will start giving them a play-by-play of the last NBA game.

seriously, I care about things, I just care about different things, and I don't force my issues onto the people I know - so why do they force their issues on me.
I'm interested in the tribes in the Amazon that are becoming extinct due to illegal logging.
I'm interested in zika, and women being told to "avoid pregnancy", and the impacts on reproductive freedom in those countries with high amount of birth defect.

the people I know are not interested in these kinds of issues. I know - bec. I say something and people give me a blank look. OK, that's ok.
fine.
but people seem to feel they have a right to impose on me by leading into conversations that I want no part of.

Am I being unreasonable?
If I'm not, then how to react? At this point I am avoiding people-- I am avoiding people bec. I know I'm going to become angry, or make someone angry at me.
So are you voting for Trump or not

Old 02-22-2016, 01:42 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
Quote:

fine.

Am I being unreasonable?
Yes. You have that right. Tell them that you aren't interested.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:55 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,351 times
Quote:

fine.

Am I being unreasonable?
When Trump is President we can build a wall around people who dont want to talk politics

Old 02-22-2016, 06:45 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
This election is one of the most important we've had in a while. I'm not going to lecture anyone about who they should vote for because it won't do a bit of good. It's good to fire up people to just go and VOTE! No need to argue about anything!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:53 PM

964 posts, read 994,268 times
Quote:
it's not that easy!
some people are determined.
so I am going to get rude and say
"What part of not wanting to talk about the election did you not understand?"

really. some people don't take a polite refusal.
and it is not always easy to walk away.

altho actually there have been times at lunch (I have a crowd I often lunch with) when I have walked away.
I don't mind if people want to talk about it, long as I don't have to hear it!
If you're in a group, then it's more difficult. You can remain silent and not participate in that part of the conversation. If they try to draw you in, just say, "Voting is a private matter with me. I was brought up that way. Sorry, But go ahead, don't mind me."

Old 02-22-2016, 07:35 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Do not discuss politics, religion, or sex in polite company. That's just showing good manners.
My parents taught us the same basic courtesy - to never discuss politics, religion, or how much you earn in the company of friends, family, and co-workers. It's just a really bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships