Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:44 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times

Advertisements

You would be wise to step back and be sure your husband is doing what HE wants to do. This is a stressful and tricky time - if you push too hard and he feels you've somehow prevented him from "making his peace" (HOWEVER he defines that) he'll have regrets forever that could reflect badly on you.

You sound extremely opinionated and strident - you can be unemotional with regarding your past relationship with YOUR parents all you want to, but he has to live with how he's handled this and once his father is dead there are no second chances. Support him, but GIVE HIM ROOM.

Last edited by reneeh63; 02-24-2016 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 07:47 PM

323 posts, read 346,144 times
Just to be clear, I am not pushing him in either direction. I have been the one to suggest skyping and even traveling there. He knows how I feel even if I remain silent. He's conflicted... We aren't dealing with the run-of-mill parent ish... This is definitely more extreme and far more serious. But yes I am backing off and letting him make the decisions. I just choose to stay firm with the boundaries we set up and he completely agreed with that. There's no question there.

So again, I am not pushing my agenda bc I don't have one other than to protect him and our marriage.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:10 PM

3,646 posts, read 3,781,229 times
I call it the "St. Sonuvab*****" Syndrome.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:38 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
Just to be clear, I am not pushing him in either direction. I have been the one to suggest skyping and even traveling there. He knows how I feel even if I remain silent. He's conflicted... We aren't dealing with the run-of-mill parent ish... This is definitely more extreme and far more serious. But yes I am backing off and letting him make the decisions. I just choose to stay firm with the boundaries we set up and he completely agreed with that. There's no question there.

So again, I am not pushing my agenda bc I don't have one other than to protect him and our marriage.
I bet

If you love them, set them free.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
OP, be sure to post when you figure out if your FIL is really seriously ill or if it is a just a trick or a ploy by your in-laws to make their son feel guilty.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
OP, be sure to post when you figure out if your FIL is really seriously ill or if it is a just a trick or a ploy by your in-laws to make their son feel guilty.
I will. My husband doesn't want to call them bc I think he's afraid it really is a ploy. He says repeatedly that his mom is crazy and a cold-hearted woman and that he's never been able to trust her. I told him if it will help ease his mind, he should call and talk to his dad and not talk to his mom. We shall see... More to come.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:44 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,015,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
1. we are all dying

2. Canonisation - if your husband wants to Heal His Past, Forget the Trauma, and believe his father is a Good Man - well that's hardly Canonisation, more like a Healthy Acceptance and Maturity.

I think the one with the Problem in this subject is YOU, OP. You're going to nag yourself out of this marriage if you don't zip it.

Death of a parent is DEEPLY traumatizing. You moaning on he Was No Saint at every turn, seriously, how is that Helping??

Only you are feeling good about saying things like that. Everyone else wants you to just keep your opinions to yourself.

Are you REALLY that unempathetic and frankly, ill mannered, that you have to speak so ill of someone who is not yet even deceased? Barrel of monkeys you'll be at the Funeral no doubt. Ghost of Christmas Past in the corner clanking sour chains of He Wasn't All That.

Your husband may well decide YOU aren't All That, either.
Somewhere , someway, somehow someone thinks YOU are not all that BJM and you seem to enjoy inflicting suffering on already suffering people asking for opinions .

Her husband isn't going anywhere - from TXH that is .

My Parents were real riots . VERY complicated people . What it does is make grief ( if there turns out to be any) VERY hard for the ones left behind . Because it is so freaking final that it hits you VERY hard that there is no more time left for THEM to change , for THEM to apologize , for the a-hole to admit they were wrong and try to restart a better relationship. You wished these people weren't total a$$es for most of your life then they die .

First lets see how sick this dude is ... I recall the Thanksgiving holocaust .

Old 02-26-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
My Parents were real riots . VERY complicated people . What it does is make grief ( if there turns out to be any) VERY hard for the ones left behind . Because it is so freaking final that it hits you VERY hard that there is no more time left for THEM to change , for THEM to apologize , for the a-hole to admit they were wrong and try to restart a better relationship. You wished these people weren't total a$$es for most of your life then they die .

First lets see how sick this dude is ... I recall the Thanksgiving holocaust .
I never thought of it like that Dutchess. That makes a lot more sense now. When my sister-in-law came to our house and finally told us what happened to her growing up, my husband started remembering a lot of behaviors he had as a kid that were "normal" to him like locking his bedroom door when he went to bed or staying over at friends houses a lot or cooking his own meals at 8. He'd never mentioned any of that to me. All he'd ever said was his parents were annoying pains in the rear. But at the same time, he would say his dad taught him how to build things and play golf. I started to see then that there had been fear in that house and abuse even if my husband was not yet willing to admit it. But reading your post makes the feelings he must be experiencing far more understandable. Deep down he knows they are bad people and that the emotional and verbal abuse they've laid on us is not right but he wishes they would change. He's probably even realizing that they never will. He's even said as much saying that his dad seems to be worse than he as a year or more ago and that his dad probably just hates his life. My poor husband.

Thank you for shedding more light on this for me. Now I'm beginning to understand.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:37 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Somewhere , someway, somehow someone thinks YOU are not all that BJM and you seem to enjoy inflicting suffering on already suffering people asking for opinions .

OP isn't suffering....?

Did I miss something? Nowhere does she say she's grieving this?

Old 02-26-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
OP isn't suffering....?

Did I miss something? Nowhere does she say she's grieving this?
Bonnie - please read my previous post about airing dirty laundry. Others have read that so it makes this post more understandable. No, I'm not grieving, but there has been suffering. Just read and it will all become clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships