Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 03:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Try this flight - found it on orbitz:

Jan 4, 2017
From Seattle - Tacoma Intl. (SEA) To Schiphol (AMS)
Special Fare
Icelandair Flights 680 and 500:
3:30pm SEA to 11:40am AMS
11h 10m, 1 stop KEF
Arrives Thu, Jan 5

Jan 11, 2017
From Schiphol (AMS) To Seattle - Tacoma Intl. (SEA)
Special Fare
Icelandair Flights 501 and 681:
1:20pm AMS to 4:40pm SEA
12h 20m, 1 stop KEF

$2,818 total for 3 adults roundtrip - all taxes included...but not baggage fees
There's also the expense of taking care of 5 horses, hotels, meals, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 03:50 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
. Dad can go, but dad also needs to behave himself around the ex-wife. She sounds dangerous....not kill people kind of dangerous...seduction and having an affair kind of dangerous.
That's exactly how it is , plus he makes more money here . She's done all of Holland and is working her way through Belgium as we speak.. divorced 20 years , 2 more marriages under her belt specializes in married with small kids takes the $$ and goes to the next . He once got off the phone with her and told me we were going to be her friends because she said so ...

Old 02-23-2016, 03:51 PM

59 posts, read 50,933 times
Quote:

Jan 4, 2017
From Seattle - Tacoma Intl. (SEA) To Schiphol (AMS)
Special Fare
Icelandair Flights 680 and 500:
3:30pm SEA to 11:40am AMS
11h 10m, 1 stop KEF
Arrives Thu, Jan 5

Jan 11, 2017
From Schiphol (AMS) To Seattle - Tacoma Intl. (SEA)
Special Fare
Icelandair Flights 501 and 681:
1:20pm AMS to 4:40pm SEA
12h 20m, 1 stop KEF

How presumptuous to think you can do better to find that "cheap" flight for the OP.

Why overlook the fact the OP and daughter doesn't want to go, that there's a hurl of abuse waiting for them on the other end and just going to be all around unpleasantness for that "cheap" flight you found. No, DH can go all by himself if he's willing eat the total cost himself.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There's also the expense of taking care of 5 horses, hotels, meals, etc.
Iceland air is for the brave but we would stay at dads house .. I have a friend from Norway who goes home with them and says you need a parachute . I was planning to send him that way though .

Old 02-23-2016, 04:05 PM

Plus he let is Dutch passport expire .................

Old 02-23-2016, 05:31 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoLair View Post
How presumptuous to think you can do better to find that "cheap" flight for the OP.

Why overlook the fact the OP and daughter doesn't want to go, that there's a hurl of abuse waiting for them on the other end and just going to be all around unpleasantness for that "cheap" flight you found. No, DH can go all by himself if he's willing eat the total cost himself.
Well, even if DH goes by himself I think they'd want the cheapest fare considering how tight finances are with the horses and all....but seriously, how much does it cost to be gone a week?

Anyway, there are excuses galore - not sure why the OP needs us to get her out of something that no one would even care if she went to or not! Certainly the daughter has no reason to go so isn't that the ideal and most socially acceptable excuse? There's drama on THAT side of the ocean but quite a lot on this side that's equally unnecessary!

And did anyone express any concern over the poor dev. delayed stepdaughter apparently marrying someone only interested in her govt. assistance? THAT'S who I'm most concerned about in the entire family!

Old 02-23-2016, 06:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:

And did anyone express any concern over the poor dev. delayed stepdaughter apparently marrying someone only interested in her govt. assistance? THAT'S who I'm most concerned about in the entire family!
Exactly.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:18 PM

59 posts, read 50,933 times
Quote:
Well, even if DH goes by himself I think they'd want the cheapest fare considering how tight finances are with the horses and all....but seriously, how much does it cost to be gone a week?

Anyway, there are excuses galore - not sure why the OP needs us to get her out of something that no one would even care if she went to or not! Certainly the daughter has no reason to go so isn't that the ideal and most socially acceptable excuse? There's drama on THAT side of the ocean but quite a lot on this side that's equally unnecessary!
Apparently the husband expects to be gone 2 weeks. $5500 sounds about right for that with cheap airfare, still a burden for the OP. Her daughter has school, and that much time off would impact her grades-- and since it doesn't sound like they don't have anyone to stay with her, that's going to be the ideal and socially acceptable excuse.

The OP is distressed because of the toxic familial situation and the fact that her husband is enmeshed. If he's so enmeshed and not willing to deal with it, it falls on her to deal with hullabaloo. I think it's fair enough for the OP to seek validation and advice about putting foot down.

Quote:
It would be all the more reason for the husband to go alone and deal with the situation, but it doesn't sound like he be at all effective. Sad situation for that daughter, indeed.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:33 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
This is my 30 yr old step daughter in Holland. She is mentally delayed and is getting married to a guy who uses her for her gov given home and her car . January 7, 2017 .

With the year we had last year and the move we just made due to the intense rent increase we faced I CANNOT save up the $5500 its going to take to get 3 of us there.

Part of that is I have to pay board for 5 horses 3 of which my husband will not let me sell .
Heck I wanted to take the three, my husband myself and daughter to Maui this year and cannot afford to do that either ..

The family never liked it that he married an American girl after being alone 5 years after a bad divorce from a local Dutch woman ..the mom of the daughter, and they go way out of the way to humiliate me in public until on one trip I had to pay a local villager $100 to take me to Schipol ( airport in Amsterdam) so I could go home . The ex wife would not get out of our lives until we finally had to move back to the US and even then and now STILL sends topless photos of her 55 yr old self with her bank account number on the bottom .. Etc ..

Non relative dutchmen friends of my husband have had some almost violent talks with him about letting his family's behavior go on like this. Yep my husband hates confrontation even to that extent.
This giant family lives in the sticks near the Belgian border , lots of serious inbreeding and people that never leave their villages their whole lifetime. This ain't Amsterdam by FAR . There's no point in discussing it with them.

I told him I would gladly buy him a ticket but I cannot save up that much for 3 , He is refusing to go but I can tell he is seething mad .

The wedding will consist of the usual yet rare Dutch marriage . We all meet at the courthouse , go in a big hall with a large very old table. Brides family sits on one side grooms on the other and we watch them have a civil ceremony . Dad does not give anyone away . My presence will make the tension in the room so thick you could cut it with a knife.. Ex wife will be there of course .. The last time we saw her at Christmas a few years back at his dads house she came in the house in a mini skirt halter and gogo boots and tossed herself on my husband demanding I give him back ( that was the time I left , I had HAD it ) .

I really do not want to go and he says he will not go without me and that we MUST save UP . Then he left At this point I feel like stepping out to SoCal and not look back . I have a friend with a room .

What would you all do ? I have done all that I can . Offer him a ticket with no problems out of me .

Substitute the word Black for the word Dutch, you might get some idea how you sound...

Old 02-23-2016, 07:08 PM

214 posts, read 301,116 times
Quote:

And who are they going to stay with during this trip? The crazy ex? Are they going to dumpster dive for food the entire trip? Train tickets from Amsterdam to the city it'll be held in aren't free either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships