Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 01:17 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Why does this thread remind me of that stick figure on FB that was popular for 2 days.

Chad is humble and modest.
Chad doesn't tell everyone about his beliefs
Be like Chad
None of us old fashioned types can believe this is even a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 03:42 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I agree with every word you said. I hide friends who reveal to much.
Like in a hole in your basement?

Old 02-27-2016, 04:02 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Let's invent a guy called Chad. Chad has a Facebook profile which he doesn't use very often. He never talks about religion, politics, feminism, gay rights, abortion or other sensitive issues, online or offline. He's always polite and courteous, but never crosses the line from acquaintance to true friendship on his own initiative. You likely have no clue what Chad's views are on any important issue. Would you like him, dislike him, or ignore him?

Chad is in his 30s, married w/o kids.

Of course, any friend would "reveal" but I'd expect that to be done over dinner together, not on Facebook. Whether I liked him or not would depend on what he was like overall. Just being courteous isn't adequate for me, but if he were well-informed, chatty, and funny, then I'd be happy to have him as an acquaintance, even if he didn't become a close friend.

However, I have to say that, with the way I converse, I'd probably find out his views fairly soon.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:23 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
How would I know if I like him if he doesn't reveal much? Maybe he's boring or depressed. What if he's shy? Would I have to make an extreme effort to get to know him? Would he be a helpful friend or a brooding menace with a grudge against society?

No, I like people who are candid and open.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
How would I know if I like him if he doesn't reveal much? Maybe he's boring or depressed. What if he's shy? Would I have to make an extreme effort to get to know him? Would he be a helpful friend or a brooding menace with a grudge against society?

No, I like people who are candid and open.
There is an alternative.

you don't have to Like or Dislike. You can just Accept and Not Judge.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:12 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
There is an alternative.

you don't have to Like or Dislike. You can just Accept and Not Judge.
That wasn't the OP's question. I work with people who don't reveal much. It's tiresome because I have to figure out what makes them tick.

For instance, there are four guys at work. One is smart, has a creative streak, doesn't get to express it, and sometimes seems like he doesn't like women. I need his assistance occasionally. He has seniority, but I have the same rank. In order to get what I need, in the form of info or sincere help on a complex task, I have to engage his interest to get what we need. If I try to get him to give creative input, he defers and leaves the scene.

Same with the second guy, except he's in a fog and I cant tell what's going on in his head. If I straight out ask, I may or may not get what I need. He might just vanish. But if I involve him in decision making to some degree, he does well.

Third guy doesn't like much of anything and does a bad job at everything. But if I involve someone else in the task, he might do quality work for awhile, as long as he gets the right feedback or light handling.

The last guy is more of an open book. If he screws up or does a fantastic job, I can respond with praise or constructive critism and everything moves forward.

Leaves me thinking the silent types are just passive aggressive.

Last edited by ellie; 02-27-2016 at 05:32 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 05:28 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
OP is what they call Nonya.

None ya business.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:35 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Chad sounds like someone I would like.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
That wasn't the OP's question. I work with people who don't reveal much. It's tiresome because I have to figure out what makes them tick.

For instance, there are four guys at work. One is smart, has a creative streak, doesn't get to express it, and sometimes seems like he doesn't like women. I need his assistance occasionally. He has seniority, but I have the same rank. In order to get what I need, in the form of info or sincere help on a complex task, I have to engage his interest to get what we need. If I try to get him to give creative input, he defers and leaves the scene.

Same with the second guy, except he's in a fog and I cant tell what's going on in his head. If I straight out ask, I may or may not get what I need. He might just vanish. But if I involve him in decision making to some degree, he does well.

Third guy doesn't like much of anything and does a bad job at everything. But if I involve someone else in the task, he might do quality work for awhile, as long as he gets the right feedback or light handling.

The last guy is more of an open book. If he screws up or does a fantastic job, I can respond with praise or constructive critism and everything moves forward.

Leaves me thinking the silent types are just passive aggressive.
Or, just silent....

The question was, does it make you DISLIKE them. You said, well, I don't Like them.

I said, there is another possibility

You could just feel neutral about them. Like I do about horses. Ok for some things but very limited in use and application in My World.

I wouldn't buy one or ride one, but I respect that some do, and that's ok. I don't have to judge it.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:17 AM

370 posts, read 654,428 times
My ex was like Chad! You have to gain his trust and be his friend in order for him to get him to talk and get his views!! This is a rare personality trait in a day and age where everyone is like 'hear ME out'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships