Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:37 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

I'm kinda like Chad. I don't share my beliefs with just anyone. I wait until I'm sure someone can be trusted as a friend and a confidant before I let them into my head. I wish people were MORE like Chad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 06:23 AM

370 posts, read 504,445 times
Chad sounds like a smart person. I always wonder about the fake "show-off's" who post tons of awkward
selfies, and make their life to be like a fairy tale...when I already know it's all a lie.
If you take selfies, you're a loser. PERIOD. Sorry for the rant, but my little opinion on this Sunday.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:30 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I don't do FB, so whatever Chad did on FB wouldn't make a difference to me. I wouldn't even know. I know this is probably naive of me, but ideally I think connections on FB would be people you already have a connection with IRL. So you'd know more about the person outside of FB.

In person, if Chad is personable and interesting to be around, then I'd probably like him. If our relationship never extended beyond the superficial small talk, then I'd probably find him pleasant, but most likely wouldn't become good friends with him or necessarily seek him out for company.

I have known people like Chad irl. Some of them I've found to be lacking personality (at least lacking any personality I am drawn to). Some I've found to be very professional and self-contained with a hint of something more interesting in there, and I figure I just am not someone to whom they wish to reveal more of themselves. If we are "friends," and I've revealed things to them and they never reveal anything back, I may find I dislike them a bit more than if we just never get to that point.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Let's invent a guy called Chad. Chad has a Facebook profile which he doesn't use very often. He never talks about religion, politics, feminism, gay rights, abortion or other sensitive issues, online or offline. He's always polite and courteous, but never crosses the line from acquaintance to true friendship on his own initiative. You likely have no clue what Chad's views are on any important issue. Would you like him, dislike him, or ignore him?

Chad is in his 30s, married w/o kids.
Chad sounds admirable. I wish I had Chad's self-restraint!

I might be curious about what Chad thinks if we were already friends in real life, but I'd respect his boundaries if he never wanted to discuss it. The more important thing is his character. Is he a stand-up guy? Does he have integrity? Is he fun to be around? That's what matters, not whether someone is on social media a lot.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:50 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
There is an alternative.

you don't have to Like or Dislike. You can just Accept and Not Judge.
This. Why do you need Chad to reveal anything to you? Chad seems inoffensive. Let him be.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:55 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Let's invent a guy called Chad. Chad has a Facebook profile which he doesn't use very often. He never talks about religion, politics, feminism, gay rights, abortion or other sensitive issues, online or offline. He's always polite and courteous, but never crosses the line from acquaintance to true friendship on his own initiative. You likely have no clue what Chad's views are on any important issue. Would you like him, dislike him, or ignore him?

I would get along great with Chad.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:19 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
This Chad fellow, is showing a wisdom beyond his years.

Good bloke, but this wisdom may have been learnt through sadness.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:21 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,199 times
He may have learnt by working next to a stream of prying colleagues.

I too would love Chad. I spent too much time with Oversharers and honestly I couldn't give a TOSS about your wedding plans...

Old 02-28-2016, 03:41 PM

171 posts, read 165,449 times
I like Chad. He's like me.

I do not care about what most other people think/feel on these things. I do not care about what people do.

The person I care about what they think of these things you have listed is a potential significant other.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:52 PM

743 posts, read 765,908 times
Quote:

Sounds very boring and not a person with whom I'd like to interact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships