Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Would You Risk Your Life To Save, A Human Being Or An Animal, And Why?
Human Being 34 44.74%
Animal 33 43.42%
Neither 9 11.84%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,532,979 times

Advertisements

If it was a Chihuahua, nah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 04:55 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,688,144 times
Well, that would be a tough call. I tend to like some animals better than some people, but human life is first with me generally.

I can't vote because there were not enough choices.

Don

Old 03-08-2016, 04:59 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,753,281 times
Poll fail. I can't vote, although I lean toward animals.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:35 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,484,446 times
I said human BUT: only for the fact that if it were a person I loved or one of our beloved dogs, and I HAD to choose, then I'd definitely choose a person I loved.

I know that would be the right and only thing to do, but then I'd have to live with the guilt of my dogs dying... something I would never want to have to think about for the rest of my life.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,947,864 times
Perhaps, I misread the question, but I interpreted it to mean that it was a situation where you had to choose one or the other in the same situation and could not choose both.

Such as a toddler and a lamb were on the very edge of cliff and you could only save one from certain death.
Or, a woman or a snake were just about to step/slither on a live, downed electrical wire and you could only save one or the other from being electrocuted.
Or, you could only carry a child or the dog from a burning building and the other would likely burn to death or die from the smoke.

Hmmm, I chose the human being but as of now most people chose the animal over the human being in the poll.

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-08-2016 at 06:37 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 05:52 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,053,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I can't vote, because the poll has no option for "both." I'd be far more likely to risk my life for a human (and have done it several times), but under certain circumstances would not hesitate to risk my life for an animal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Right, agree with this. Can't answer as I would do both as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Case by case basis for sure so I said neither.
I purposely did not make that a choice because the premise is that you have the option to save only one.

The poll is meant for you to ask yourself, when it comes down to it, which do you value more, human life or animal life?

Old 03-08-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Perhaps, I misread the question, but I interpreted it to mean that it was a situation where you had to choose one or the other in the same situation and could not choose both.

Such as a toddler and a lamb were on the very edge of cliff and you could only save one from certain death.
Or, a woman or snake were just about to step/slither on a live, downed electrical wire and you could only save one or the other from being electrocuted.
Or, you could only carry a child or the dog from a burning building and the other would likely burn to death or die from the smoke.

Hmmm, I chose the human being but as of now most people chose the animal in the poll.
You are correct.

Indeed, and isn't that interesting, if not somewhat disturbing?

Old 03-08-2016, 06:29 PM

619 posts, read 567,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
You are correct.

Indeed, and isn't that interesting, if not somewhat disturbing?
if that is what you meant - that *in the same situation* i have a chance to save either a human or an animal and if i choose one the other is going to die, then yes i would choose a human, a million billion times over an animal. is this disturbing? no. does this mean that i will go out and senselessly kill animals? no. but *in a given situation* where either an animal or a human will die, and i have the chance to save one of them, yes i will choose the human.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times
I like Post #2's answer; however, it would depend on the circumstance. I definitely lean towards the human but it could also depend on the human; on the other hand, I wouldn't even consider getting near a vicious animal.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
if that is what you meant - that *in the same situation* i have a chance to save either a human or an animal and if i choose one the other is going to die, then yes i would choose a human, a million billion times over an animal. is this disturbing? no. does this mean that i will go out and senselessly kill animals? no. but *in a given situation* where either an animal or a human will die, and i have the chance to save one of them, yes i will choose the human.
I was referring to those who would choose to save an animal over a human being as disturbing.

My apologies for the confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships