Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:56 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,574 times

Advertisements

My brother and his wife have close b-days and so I usually just give them both a card on my brother's b-day.

My mom said my brother was annoyed that no one called his wife personally to wish her a happy birthday.

Is this a real thing? Is it normal for adults to be this sensitive about b-days? I feel like they are being petty and just using it as an excuse to control my behavior. I don't have a problem wishing her happy birthday but it seems a tad childish for people to critique how I do it and specifying how to do it.

And I don't like being locked into a certain behavior I HAVE to perform every year flawlessly and without fail just because he married someone or I'm scolded.

It seems to me my performance is being given way too much importance to the degree that my actual involvement in this relationship deserves.

Am I being unfair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 01:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Wait ... so your brother is annoyed but not your SIL??

Maybe HE doesn't want to share his birthday.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:11 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,740 times
We don't even do phone calls in my family so I would say Yes, if you are from the type of family that Expects Cards, you include your SIL in that.

In the circumstances you need to send her her own card.

On such minor insults dynasties are lost. Be warned. Respect is All for some people.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Of all the issues in the world, this is not one that I would throw myself on my sword over. Be kind to your brother and SIL and throw a reminder in the calendar.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:12 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
First, unclench and breathe. Your mom told you your brother is offended on behalf of his wife. Don't wander into "perform flawlessly or be scolded" territory just yet. Your brother didn't even say anything to you. Personally, I commend the guy for looking out for his wife (maybe help her feel like a member of the family, not just his appendage) AND you for sending cards to anybody. My husband never sends cards ever. It's his stepmother's birthday today and I know it will up to me to prod him into calling her. My dad doesn't do cards, and I can probably count the actual times I have seen my grandfather write ANYTHING other than a crossword or shopping list on ONE HAND. Good job, dude. Both of you.

If your mom says anything again, remind her that "nobody called Janet to wish her happy birthday" includes HER. Why did your mom not call her either?

Old 03-08-2016, 01:12 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
My brother and his wife have close b-days and so I usually just give them both a card on my brother's b-day.
How close are their birthdays? Do they each get a card or do you give just one for the both of them?

Old 03-08-2016, 01:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
My MIL gets annoyed over stuff like this.

Meanwhile, she remembers my birthday like a month after it happens, LOL. Even after 14 years of it. I don't give a fart. I'm a grownup. My husband and kids remember and get me a few little gifts and a cake and that's the extent of what I really "need" for birthdays (actually, could do without the presents and the cake but that would devastate my kids).

I think it's silly for an adult to "require" exact things on his/her birthday. You're not 10. You don't need a cake, balloons and a Puffy the Poodle sing-a-gram on your birthday. You're another year older, huzzah, now move on.

As for this situation, tell your brother that if his wife is upset, SHE, as a grownup, can tell you, and if she does, say cheerily, "Happy birthday!" and then fall silent. If she starts whining about it, remind her that you did give her a card. You DID NOT forget her birthday; you remember every year. Then see what she has to say. If she continues to whine, stay cheerful and say "Hope you had a great birthday!" Repeat polite cheery platitudes until she realizes she's acting like a toddler and hangs up.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:35 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
I feel like they are being petty and just using it as an excuse to control my behavior.
What is it with the posts lately where people say they think others are trying to control them just because they are asked to do something? Seriously, you are asked to be thoughtful and considerate of a family member and you read that someone using it as an excuse to 'control' you?
Here's a hint, it's not about you, it's about her not being made to feel like an afterthought.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:35 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:

My mom said my brother was annoyed that no one called his wife personally to wish her a happy birthday.

Is this a real thing? Is it normal for adults to be this sensitive about b-days? I feel like they are being petty and just using it as an excuse to control my behavior. I don't have a problem wishing her happy birthday but it seems a tad childish for people to critique how I do it and specifying how to do it.

And I don't like being locked into a certain behavior I HAVE to perform every year flawlessly and without fail just because he married someone or I'm scolded.

It seems to me my performance is being given way too much importance to the degree that my actual involvement in this relationship deserves.

Am I being unfair?
I think it is pretty lazy of you to not call.

And then the bolded is just ... I don't know .... a lot of drama. Perform? Control behavior? Really? Over a call that should be common courtesy if you get along?

There must be more to the story?

Old 03-08-2016, 01:40 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:

Am I being unfair?
Define "no one" ... No one of the family? No one = you and your husband?

If everybody calls your husband and sends cards and on your bday the phone stays silent, you would wonder, too. Maybe you are not mad, but a little sad.

And your dear husband would ask the family why you are not getting any bday wishes, because that's what a good husband would do.

My niece and my BIL have their bdays 2 days apart. I don't talk to them often generally but I call both of them on their special day because my family expects that. And that's okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships