Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 04:52 PM

241 posts, read 223,159 times

Advertisements

Please share your experiences that you've had with your (possible) drug-abusing, noisy, irrational, Moderator cut: delete neighbors.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-16-2016 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: filtered words are deleted despite any attempt to disguise them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 06:58 PM

924 posts, read 751,259 times
One I remember is from when I'd just moved into an upstairs apartment, and the neighbors in question were two women who lived in one of the apartments below me. (I'm not sure exactly how the building was laid out, only that part of my apartment overlapped theirs)

Anyhow, I had one of the women knock on my door one day, to let me know that they were able to hear my walking around my apartment. (Apparently, the night before.....someone was stomping around hard enough that the dishes in their cupboards were rattling)

Problem was, I had been asleep at the time this allegedly happened, I was alone in the apartment, but I really had no way to prove that. I did mention this, and said that I would keep the "noise level issue" in mind.....just to be polite, and in case she did say something to the complex manager.

This neighbor had been polite enough, but after that, whenever I encountered her or her roommate, they always seemed to be give me a nasty look. And I always felt weird walking around my apartment after that, because I never knew if they were going to complain about something again. (It was a relief when they moved out)

Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
The neighbors from across the street parked their cars on my side so their property looks better without cars parked there (their answer when I asked them why they park in front of my house and not their own).

The ones next to them walked their big dogs twice a day to my front yard and had them pee there and then go back into their house. They had a nice lawn to **** on, too.

The ones behind me had a little dog yap all day and half of the night outdoors. It was a little minipinscher and probably wanted to be a lapdog and not outdoor dog. Once I told the owner I dont' appreciate to be up all night because of the barking, they acted like I am crazy.

I don't miss Virginia.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:23 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I suppose there is always a reason. I've had some pretty wacko neighbors over the years. An incident that comes to mind was the first home my husband and I had purchased. When we moved in it was mostly older people. Quiet street, all the homes were kept up, we were given a cake to welcome us to the neighborhood. Really sweet. It was like this for about 3 years and then slowly one by one the neighbors started passing away. The adult children that inherited the houses sold them cheap for a quick sale as they had no emotional attachment and lived elsewhere. Then things started to change.

The house across the street sells and a young family moves in. They seemed a bit trashy. They immediately started tearing apart the house. It was sad to watch the demise of this previously very cute and tidy home. The husband ripped up the front lawn to re-sod which was bizarre because the lawn was fine. He never did get around to putting sod down so the front yard was dirt until we sold our house years later. The husband and wife fought and would have dramatic arguments out on the front lawn. One time, the husband got in the car, backed out of the driveway and the wife jumped on the hood. He kept on driving. I think she fell off on the next block.

Well I made the mistake of telling the elderly lady next door I was tired of it all and one these days I was going to call the cops. Lesson learned. If you are ever planning on calling the cops on a neighbor, don't tell anyone. Well someone did and I was labeled the one that did it. One day I was sitting on my front porch with my son who was an infant at the time. His bouncy seat at my feet and I was enjoying the weather and a good book. I heard the woman across the street come out on her porch with a friend and they were talking loudly. Nothing new but after awhile I realized their loud talking was not just their usual banter, it was the type of loud talking where they wanted to be noticed. I finally looked up from my book and that is what they had been waiting for. They leaped up and started screaming at me that I was a b**** and they were gonna come over and kick my *ss. Oh boy. They were yelling at me how they know I was the one that called the cops, blah blah. I went into the house and ignored them. Then a few days later my husband and I returned home in the evening and as we were unlocking the door, we noticed that we had a red laser on us. Now it was the husband and one of his friends pointing a laser at us. My husband calmly walked across the street, walked up on their porch, snatched the laser out of the guy hand's and said if they ever EVER messed with us again, they would be sorry. My husband can be pretty intimidating at times. They left us alone after that. Would get an occasional mean glare but that was it. Then we moved.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:41 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
The neighbors from across the street parked their cars on my side so their property looks better without cars parked there (their answer when I asked them why they park in front of my house and not their own).

The ones next to them walked their big dogs twice a day to my front yard and had them pee there and then go back into their house. They had a nice lawn to **** on, too.

The ones behind me had a little dog yap all day and half of the night outdoors. It was a little minipinscher and probably wanted to be a lapdog and not outdoor dog. Once I told the owner I dont' appreciate to be up all night because of the barking, they acted like I am crazy.

I don't miss Virginia.

Maybe you should have parked your car on THEIR side of the street and dropped off the dog poop on the "appropriate" lawn.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:53 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
One thing I can't stand are fussy picky-picky neighbors who really should live away from civilization. They're the ones who fret over everything and cannot enjoy the simple things that go with life. I have one friend that I love, but I'm sure glad I'm not her neighbor, because she complains about everything from unraked leaves in people's yards to the sounds of light non-intrusive chatter among children. I am SO glad that we don't contend with this where I live. Nobody really cares what the neighbors do and, while the neighborhood looks "lived in" because of it, we are at peace.

When I lived in an apartment back in the 80's we had one fussy person living above us, and she was always complaining about noise from our stereo. I knew damn well that I wasn't playing it loud enough to be disturbing, but I ended her griping the day that she sent my little girl (who was in her house playing with her son) back down to ask me to turn it down. I left without turning it down, led Miss Whiney into my apartment, and she was stunned by how "low" it was. Never heard anymore since. But at least it was resolved - for many people it never is.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I suppose there is always a reason. I've had some pretty wacko neighbors over the years. An incident that comes to mind was the first home my husband and I had purchased. When we moved in it was mostly older people. Quiet street, all the homes were kept up, we were given a cake to welcome us to the neighborhood. Really sweet. It was like this for about 3 years and then slowly one by one the neighbors started passing away. The adult children that inherited the houses sold them cheap for a quick sale as they had no emotional attachment and lived elsewhere. Then things started to change.

The house across the street sells and a young family moves in. They seemed a bit trashy. They immediately started tearing apart the house. It was sad to watch the demise of this previously very cute and tidy home. The husband ripped up the front lawn to re-sod which was bizarre because the lawn was fine. He never did get around to putting sod down so the front yard was dirt until we sold our house years later. The husband and wife fought and would have dramatic arguments out on the front lawn. One time, the husband got in the car, backed out of the driveway and the wife jumped on the hood. He kept on driving. I think she fell off on the next block.

Well I made the mistake of telling the elderly lady next door I was tired of it all and one these days I was going to call the cops. Lesson learned. If you are ever planning on calling the cops on a neighbor, don't tell anyone. Well someone did and I was labeled the one that did it. One day I was sitting on my front porch with my son who was an infant at the time. His bouncy seat at my feet and I was enjoying the weather and a good book. I heard the woman across the street come out on her porch with a friend and they were talking loudly. Nothing new but after awhile I realized their loud talking was not just their usual banter, it was the type of loud talking where they wanted to be noticed. I finally looked up from my book and that is what they had been waiting for. They leaped up and started screaming at me that I was a b**** and they were gonna come over and kick my *ss. Oh boy. They were yelling at me how they know I was the one that called the cops, blah blah. I went into the house and ignored them. Then a few days later my husband and I returned home in the evening and as we were unlocking the door, we noticed that we had a red laser on us. Now it was the husband and one of his friends pointing a laser at us. My husband calmly walked across the street, walked up on their porch, snatched the laser out of the guy hand's and said if they ever EVER messed with us again, they would be sorry. My husband can be pretty intimidating at times. They left us alone after that. Would get an occasional mean glare but that was it. Then we moved.
That's really sad. I'd hate having to see that happen, particularly having a bunch of older neighbors die off. Unfortunately though, I still have to live around a bunch of 20-something year-old drug-abusing/dealing kids. Some of my neighbors in particular even stock me, throw trash in my yard, watch every little thing that I do from their windows, and blare their stereo at night. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they had speakers aimed directly at my window. Of course, the landlord refuses to do anything about it.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:47 PM

I don't understand WHY they'd have any problem with me. I don't ever talk much louder than a whisper when I'm outside. I typically avoid even making eye contact with anyone around me too. I take up as little space as possible when I park my car, etc.... a lot of this stuff being done just so that people like that DON'T BOTHER ME. It seems more and more likely all the time that studies showing drug content being found in drinking water (amongst other things)Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-16-2016 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: nationality personal attack

Old 03-11-2016, 03:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I'd call the cops. And get comprehensive insurance for your car with a low deductible LOL, because they may end up keying it or something.

I've had lots of funky neighbors. The one that's irritating me today is a man who lives in my apartment building who owns two vehicles and a large boat that he parks in our apartment parking lot. That's okay, because there are always plenty of spaces.

The problem is, I have a window on the first floor with a pretty view. I'm retired, so I'm home a lot, and I like to look out at my view. About a week ago, I'm sitting here with my laptop and my pretty view, and here comes a tow truck with a vehicle on a trailer. My neighbor goes out and proceeds to direct the tow truck driver to park what must be an inoperable vehicle, right in front of my window. Now, there is a bunch of street at the end of the building, and no other cars parked on the whole block, but he parks this inoperable vehicle right in front of somebody's window, which happens to be mine.

I thought, okay, I'll give the guy some time to move it because it's been pouring down rain. A week later, I see that one of his other vehicles has been moved around to different parking spaces, but his "new" junk car is still in front of my window.

If I knew which apartment he lives in, I'd go ask him to move it. But, I don't. And the manager won't give out info like that to anyone, which is a good thing. I can't leave a note on his operable vehicle because it's been raining too much and my note would get all wet. I keep hoping I'll see him around, but nope.

So, today, I had to run errands, and I first jotted down the license number of the junker in front of my window (which is actually not an ugly vehicle, but obviously isn't drivable since it was trailered here). Then while doing errands, I stopped by the police station and explained my situation. They told me a vehicle can only be parked on the street for 72 hours, then has to be moved. So, they'll come tag it and say it has to be moved within so many hours, or they will tow it. I said that sounded fair, and he won't know I called. Although, he'll probably wonder if the cops really noticed it sitting there LOL.

But, even if this guy finds out it was me who complained, I'd say to him, "Well, who is the rude person here? The lady with no view out of her window for who-know-how-long? Or the guy who parked in front of somebody's window when he had a million other options and apparently planned to just leave it there?

I mean, if he thinks I had an obligation to chase him down and ask him to move his vehicle, that goes both ways. He had an obligation to ask me if I minded having my window blocked forever. Sheesh. And obviously, he knows the management doesn't want yet another junker of his parked in the parking lot. I'd have to assume he asked and was told no, which is why he put it on the street. If the idiot would have just parked it out of anyone's way, it probably could have sat there a long time - until the cops really did notice the cob webs on it.

People like that aren't anyone I care about not liking me.

But, like I said, I have comprehensive with a low deductible, just in case someone like him decides to key my truck. And my old truck has the old kind of gas covers that you can just open from outside - so I got a locking gas cap, too.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:24 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
My neighborhood had so many problems with outsiders who live in overcrowded housing who parked their excess vehicles on our street. It took forever but we finally got permit parking. Even with signs saying it's permit parking, we still have imbeciles who come and park here. Some of them park right next to the "permit parking only" signs. If the cops aren't busy when we call, they will come out and ticket these fools and I have no problem calling. If I catch someone who doesn't have a permit trying to park, I will ask them if they have a permit. If the say "no", I point to the sign and tell them to read it. If they balk, I let them know they will get ticketed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships