Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:28 AM

231 posts, read 334,771 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is the right forum. But I met a neighbor and we casually talked twice before and she invited me to come over and talk as we have a lot of things in common. I ran into her this morning and she invited me to talk but I am meeting her tonight as I had work. This is non-romantic as we are both females.

I always feel like I need to bring something when being invited to another person's house for the first time but we are neighbors in the same apartment so I don't know if this is different. Also, I think she is seeking my advice/help as she was discussing her problems with me (not me to her).

Anyhow, do I need to bring something over? I do not have time to get anything and I barely know her and this is not a formal get together. If so, what should I get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 12:01 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
<snip>
That being said, bring coffee from starbucks, or some fresh cookies. Both are commonly liked, but inexpensive enough to not be a big deal if you learn she doesn't like sweets or coffee.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-16-2016 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: off topic thread has been moved to proper forum

Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 PM

231 posts, read 334,771 times
Thank you for your reply.
<snip>

She said this morning how processed sugar kills people so I don't know if I should bring cookies and I don't know if and how she likes coffee. It seems like I do have to bring something. Just wanted to know whether bringing something was expected. Thanks again.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-16-2016 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: thread has been moved to proper forum

Old 03-15-2016, 12:39 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Perhaps stop by the market and pick up a small vegetable, fruit, cheese tray for you to snack on while you talk?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I would not bring anything. It's quite likely she plans on asking you for a favor that is not appropriate for a neighbor to ask another neighbor who is a virtual stranger. If she'd asked you over for dinner or cocktails, then yes, something small like a bottle of wine. But, trust your instincts. This person is asking you over so that she's in a comfortable environment to butter you up and ask you for something.

If I'm wrong, great. Either way, in this situation you are not required to bring anything, except your boundary list (as in, sorry, I don't lend people money, give them rides, babysit their kids or pets, etc.).

Any time a stranger neighbor starts telling me their life problems, it's a sign of someone being needy. I don't want my neighbors knocking on my doors at all hours, even just wanting to whine about things in their lives. You have to ask yourself, why is she asking you instead of established friends or family? Because she burned them all out, most likely. I'm speaking from someone experienced with this, and who learned the hard way to see them coming now, and not get involved.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:14 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I would not bring anything. It's quite likely she plans on asking you for a favor that is not appropriate for a neighbor to ask another neighbor who is a virtual stranger. If she'd asked you over for dinner or cocktails, then yes, something small like a bottle of wine. But, trust your instincts. This person is asking you over so that she's in a comfortable environment to butter you up and ask you for something.

If I'm wrong, great. Either way, in this situation you are not required to bring anything, except your boundary list (as in, sorry, I don't lend people money, give them rides, babysit their kids or pets, etc.).

Any time a stranger neighbor starts telling me their life problems, it's a sign of someone being needy. I don't want my neighbors knocking on my doors at all hours, even just wanting to whine about things in their lives. You have to ask yourself, why is she asking you instead of established friends or family? Because she burned them all out, most likely. I'm speaking from someone experienced with this, and who learned the hard way to see them coming now, and not get involved.

Good luck.
Gosh! Nobody said anything about life problems. The neighbor might just be being friendly, perhaps happy to have another single woman living in the complex. I know all us single ladies (there's 6 of us) that live on the properties adjacent to mine have made friends with each other, at least to the point where we visit occasionally and swap leftovers and borrow cups of sugar, and check in on each other every once in a while.

OP, It's always good form to bring *something*, but in this case, since you don't know anything about the neighbor, I wouldn't fuss on it too much. I doubt very much that she expects anything.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:49 PM

62 posts, read 75,733 times
Just bring yourself and plan to have a good time.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:14 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Tell us what you took and what she wanted. "Enquiring Minds Want to Know." (tm) LOL.

For the future, take Chex Mix. You can grab a bag at the store, even a convenience store/gas station party shop. If you have a nice bowl or decorative tin, put it in that and say you brought a snack for both of you to munch while you talked. Chex Mix comes in all kinds of flavors, and sweet or savory style as well.

Enjoy your new "friend." I hope it works out for you!

Old 03-15-2016, 10:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
I don't know if this is the right forum. But I met a neighbor and we casually talked twice before and she invited me to come over and talk as we have a lot of things in common. I ran into her this morning and she invited me to talk but I am meeting her tonight as I had work. This is non-romantic as we are both females.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Gosh! Nobody said anything about life problems. The neighbor might just be being friendly, perhaps happy to have another single woman living in the complex. I know all us single ladies (there's 6 of us) that live on the properties adjacent to mine have made friends with each other, at least to the point where we visit occasionally and swap leftovers and borrow cups of sugar, and check in on each other every once in a while.
You're absolutely right. It might be a generous offer of friendship. I'm just the devil's advocate who has been in this scenario before, warning the OP that it might be more than that and to be on her guard. If I'm wrong, great. If not, the OP is forewarned.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:50 AM

775 posts, read 776,428 times
Bring yourself and your time. Show up and be friendly, see what happens. You were lol know better for next time.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships