Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:40 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I have had great experiences donating things to the Vietnam Veterans of America. They pick up all over the country. You can use this link to see if they can send a truck to your house. They've taken pieces of furniture, storage things, kitchen equipment, etc. They even take hangers as long as I tie them together in small groups so they don't get tangled.

Schedule a Clothing Donation Pick Up - Donate Clothes, Household Items
I use this group too. They are great.

I would not want a stranger coming into my house to pick up anything. And Craig's List seems to have the bulk of the crazies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 11:18 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
This is a minor vent but I wanted to share it with someone, so fellow C-D readers here it is.

I am doing some serious downsizing and over the last few months I have posted a number of ads on Craigslist to give away stuff. I have been delighted that great items went to new homes. And, the recipients have been delighted to get many, many great items for free. I have given away everything from coffee tables, to grills, to book cases, to boxes of books, to mirrors, to pieces of furniture, to toys, to kitchen items and everything in between.

I try to have all of the needed information in my listing but it irks me when people clearly do not read the ad and email with questions that would easily be answered just by reading or ask really off the wall questions or make inappropriate demands.

Today I posted a free ad on my local Craigslist for two 8 foot tall metal shelving units, two six foot tall wooden book cases and a small cabinet. I clearly stated in my ad that you would need to pick up the items in your truck or van and that you would need to carry them from my basement. Also, that I was only available during the morning and afternoon today.

First person responding to my ad, "Can you deliver all those free items to my house in XYZ city?" (15 miles away from my city) .
What part of the phrase "pick up" don't you understand?

Second person responding to my ad, "Will everything fit inside my car?"
Well, unless you drive a stretch limousine, I really doubt if two 8 foot shelving units and two 6 foot wooden shelves plus a cabinet would fit inside your car.

Third person responding to my ad, "Can you put the items at the end of your driveway for me?"
I can sort of understand this one, as many people do leave items at the curb. However, I clearly stated that the person getting the free items would be responsible for carrying them out of my basement (I am in my 60s with some health problems & can not lift and carry these items by myself).

Fourth person responding to my ad, "Can I pick everything up at 10 PM?"
No, the ad said that I was only available this morning and afternoon.

Fifth person responding to my ad, "Do you have a free dining room and chairs, that match the bookcases?
Hmmm, if I had a free table & chairs don't you think that I would have mentioned it in my ad?

By this time I had a huge headache and decided that everyone "reading" the Craigslist Free section today must have been celebrating St. Patrick's Day since early this morning. I removed the ad and will put it up again. Hopefully reading comprehension will be better another day.

Fellow C-D family, I hope that you got a few chuckles out of my vent as I certainly was not chuckling when I politely answered all of those emails.

PS. my headache is finally going away.
My sister put some kids' motorized bicycles up on Craiglist one time. She clearly stated that they were kids' bicycles that were motorized, they were not motorcycles. She even posted a photo.

She gets someone interested in them. Her one son goes out and cleans up the bikes making them look good. Person comes over, sees the bicycles, and gets upset that they were not adult motorcycles. For $10 each.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:34 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Just tell them No, or "Are you kidding? NO".

Old 03-17-2016, 11:41 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,063 times
We moved cross country a couple years ago, so I did a lot of downsizing. I definitely understand what you talking about with people not reading the ads.

It got to the point where I would respond to those questions with "sorry the item has been picked up" - because let's face it - free stuff goes fast so I never had to lie!

Old 03-18-2016, 12:00 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I learned this is how to do the free Craigslist ads:

Don't put any contact info.

Say where the items are located and you'll remove the ad when they're done and that you won't answer the door if anyone knocks. It's first come first served, good luck! Put it out on the curb or in the driveway.

The stuff will disappear.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:29 AM

7,024 posts, read 4,885,827 times
If you think giving something away on Craig's list is difficult, just don't try to sell anything!

I was trying to sell my sofa for half of what it cost me and all I got were scam artists. Usually it was the one where they wanted to send someone who would pick up the sofa and give me a huge check that I could cash, send back $1000 and keep the extra for myself.

I finally had to add something like this to my ad: "I am trying to sell a sofa, nothing more, nothing less. I am not going to contact your shipper, run to my bank to cash a check, or wire anyone money. First person who shows up with the correct amount of cash in his hand gets the sofa."

I still had scammers contacting me.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:37 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,571,779 times
When I lived in Florida, Habitat for Humanity would pick up bulky items.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:53 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,999,691 times
I use Freecycle instead. There is some accountability, so less nonsense. Never had a no-show.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:30 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I think that someday there is going to be a new category in the DSM (like hoarding) for those who gain attention and/or some sort of inner sense of 'status' by trolling craigslist and asking sellers (or givers,in your case) for special considerations.

I'm not even joking

Old 03-18-2016, 05:35 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The Craigslist crowd is "special" some should be given a free helmet and crayon.
Dead. Bwahahahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships