Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:13 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"I've forgiven as much as it's humanely possible to forgive. How's that? I didn't realize that my alleged unforgiveness was the problem here, since I'm the one seeking to mingle."

"Because it's what's keeping you unhappy."

(there's one in every thread)
There ^^ it is.

I knew based on your other threads that replying to this post would have some risk involved. Your snark is always RIGHT THERE, even when people dare to share their personal experiences. It matters not.

Look in the mirror to figure this one out. Yes, the woman your brother married is a pain in the *ss, but you are no cuddly kitten.

So ... MOVE ON. Stop keeping track of her wrongs to you and FIND OTHER PEOPLE to make you feel loved. While you're at it, re-learn how to SHARE some of the love that you are hoping to get. Hint: It's supposed to be unconditional.

Go back and read through your posts in this thread and the replies you've gotten. Hopefully you will see how you are contributing to this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 10:21 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
That's weird.

I am a little bit like your sister-in-law because I didn't have proper training in being a part of a family and I'm a huge introvert. I also live thousands of miles from my only family and my husband's family lives in a foreign country all together (our poor sons....).

That said: you live in the same town! That would be a huge motivator for me to work out my issues. It would be very intimidating and difficult, but I wish I had the opportunity to live in the same community as family.

I think she's got issues that you can't reason with.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:22 AM

208 posts, read 170,374 times
Oh lord.. I understand your plight. It definitely hurts when you are shunned or rejected for no apparent reason. I can identify with that. I have tried to be as friendly as I could to my inlaws since I've been married 4 years ago by calling them (in the beginning), attending functions etc. and trying to ignore all the different bouts of drama or nasty attitude that came toward my husband or myself. A couple members of the family have been fine towards me (they were from the beginning) But the rest of the clan, no such thing. At least you're dealing with just one antagonist, and not several individuals. But still, it sucks. I'm no more respected or accepted today then I was on the wedding day. It's sad, some people just make the choice to treat you wrongly, no matter what you do, EVEN when you don't deserve it. Try and be the higher person, cherish the fact that your brother and you are not estranged.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:25 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Well, apparently some posters on this thread have decided that I DO "deserve it," but anyway...

Thanks to those of you who can somewhat relate and commiserate; thanks also for the good advice.

As I said, I'm basically "stuck" here until I retire in just over a year, and my former social network has all kind of moved on. I was out of circulation for many years caregiving, and they thought I was crazy for doing it. I have joined back in on some things, but it's just not the same. Life never can be after caregiving and losing the person you love most in the world, but that's another thread for another day.

To some degree, I guess I feel like it's too big a task to take on (starting over) for just a year in this location. I do realize that the only option is to do something else that day, and I have, but it feels rather empty on what is, after all, supposed to be a day for celebrating family... Especially on FB.

Maybe all I DO want is sympathy, because it frankly makes me feel like weeping every holiday...

Last edited by otterhere; 03-28-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-28-2016, 10:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
This may sound like a dumb idea, but perhaps it would work for you.

What if you just started to show up at your brother's house on each holiday, with a card and a cake (or something). And, say something like "Easter is for family. I love you brother, George. I love you sister, Mary and I want to spend the holiday with you" and have a big smile on your face. Would they physically slam the door in your face or invite you inside?

And, alternative is to invite them to your house but if they decline then show up at their house.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Play the lottery, hopefully win it and drive by daily in your new Roll Royce....Oh and give them the middle finger.

Nah, just kidding. Just accept it that they are @#$%^ and shall never change. But be a good soul and pray for them...God does do things for some reason.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:05 AM

"What if you just started to show up at your brother's house on each holiday, with a card and a cake (or something). And, say something like "Easter is for family. I love you brother, George. I love you sister, Mary and I want to spend the holiday with you" and have a big smile on your face."

Hahahaha! I love it; she would lay an egg...

Or just show up (which I sometimes do to visit with my brother) and say, "Oh... Is it Easter already?" hahahaha

Old 03-28-2016, 11:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
This may sound like a dumb idea, but perhaps it would work for you.

What if you just started to show up at your brother's house on each holiday, with a card and a cake (or something). And, say something like "Easter is for family. I love you brother, George. I love you sister, Mary and I want to spend the holiday with you" and have a big smile on your face. Would they physically slam the door in your face or invite you inside?

And, alternative is to invite them to your house but if they decline then show up at their house.
Quote:
"What if you just started to show up at your brother's house on each holiday, with a card and a cake (or something). And, say something like "Easter is for family. I love you brother, George. I love you sister, Mary and I want to spend the holiday with you" and have a big smile on your face."

Hahahaha! I love it; she would lay an egg...

Or just show up (which I sometimes do to visit with my brother) and say, "Oh... Is it Easter already?" hahahaha
I am seriously NOT joking. Just do it. Don't wait for the next holiday. First invite them for Sunday dinner at your house, and it they decline with a flimsy excuse, just show up at their house.

Or just come to visit your brother. After all, the house is your brother's house, too.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:17 AM

Actually, it's not. They gave their jointly owned house to their daughter as a wedding gift. This house is HER house (formerly her mother's; inherited property/assets are not shared, legally speaking). When I do visit him, we sit on the front porch. I've been asked in only when the SIL isn't home. Perhaps I have body odor? This treatment makes me feel like it...

Old 03-28-2016, 11:22 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Quote:
Actually, it's not. They gave their jointly owned house to their daughter as a wedding gift. This house is HER house (formerly her mother's; inherited property/assets are not shared, legally speaking). When I do visit him, we sit on the front porch. I've been asked in only when the SIL isn't home. Perhaps I have body odor? This treatment makes me feel like it...
Is your brother happy? Is there more to the story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships