Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:35 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times

Advertisements

It's been said many times and many ways (merry Christmas no really - never lend a friend money).

That has all the hallmarks of an addiction problem - gambling, drugs, spending - something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 08:23 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
We've been burned in the past falling for a sob story of a relative. Never saw a dime in repayment and they had the guts to ask AGAIN a couple years later like we had head injuries and weren't aware they'd screwed us over already.

Just say NO. You don't need the drama.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:37 AM

631 posts, read 399,377 times
I once loaned a co-worker $3,000 on the promise it would be repaid in 2 weeks. It took 2 years to get it all back. In that time I received multiple bounced cheques, him yelling at me for depositing them when I knew he didn't have the money. Huh? Every time I asked for payment he got indignant like I was asking him for a loan. I swore I'd never lend any money to anyone ever again and I haven't and I won't.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-03-2016 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: filtered word

Old 03-29-2016, 08:37 AM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times
If she was to pay it back April 8, that is like a week, why cant she wait a week and get her check to get the money she needs.???? She could even hold off the mafia for one week, what is the urgency that she needs the money right now, sounds really fishy.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:00 AM

429 posts, read 390,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I once loaned a co-worker $3,000 on the promise it would be repaid in 2 weeks. It took 2 years to get it all back. In that time I received multiple bounced cheques, him yelling at me for depositing them when I knew he didn't have the money. Huh? Every time I asked for payment he got indignant like I was asking him for a loan. I swore I'd never lend any money to anyone ever again and I haven't and I won't.
Moderator cut: orphaned
Moderator cut: orphaned response Yea. Of course. that's why I said to her repay me on the 8th, the entire amount in cash. She acted like I asked for her firstborn. Her response to me?
Moderator cut: delete So she basically wants a "gift". Not a loan.
I know checks bounce and people take 10 years to repay 1,000. But yea, 37 yrs she knows me, and she TEXTED me. Not once but twice about it in one day.

"Friend" - well about that now...we're not friends anymore. I decided. FTSt. She must think I'm a real ****ole to ask me for that kind of money.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-03-2016 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: foveruse of filtered words can lead to warnings/infractions

Old 03-29-2016, 09:04 AM

429 posts, read 390,813 times
Even if she apologizes to me, and she's too smug for that, the "friendship" is not the same now. I won't go out and eat with her, or see movies or anything else. Maybe...maybe- I'll speak to her over the phone for 10 minutes once every 6 months.Maybe that. No more outings..seriously. She's a real piece...

Old 03-29-2016, 11:57 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
It's uncanny how people who drown themselves with debt want to drag others down with them rather then just face the prospect of losing everything by themselves.
I've witnessed countless examples of this.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:45 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
YES. That' right<>?! I never said no, did I? I said to her "sign this, and pay up in cash on the day you said you'll get your paycheck.. Look, if she really needed that money, you know she would have signed the paper. But that biotch flipped out on me. I think our "30 yr friendship" is over. It's ok. Now she won't ever ask me for money again, she knows I don't play. Had I given her $, this would have set a precedent to ask in the future again.

This goes to show that not all employed people have good credit or are good at managing their $. How do you eat out and give a credit card that gets declined? Don't you check your $ on your account before you go out to eat with your friend? Did she expect me to pick up the tab?? She just pulled out another one - but lots of excuses and stories there then. Nobody forced her to gut the house and do all the work.It was unnecessary. MONEY PIT. She also has kids from different fathers and a brother who doesn't work who lives with her. He's a loafer. Aren't all these biotches the same?

I would never loan a friend $1,000 but I would certainly give it to them.. no questions asked..

Old 03-29-2016, 01:13 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I would never loan a friend $1,000 but I would certainly give it to them.. no questions asked..
When you're unemployed and the friend has a job? Awesome! Let's be friends.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:15 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
We loan money to people. At 6% with collateral and signed paperwork. We also borrow money from people at pretty much the same rates. Why get a mortgage from a bank when you could be giving all that interest money to a friend instead? It's a much better rate than anything a bank will give on savings or a Certificate of Deposit and with a mortgage recorded at the Bureau of Conveyances, it's a pretty solid investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships