Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 02:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

OP, you are young right now and you don't have much confidence in yourself.

Don't worry about what anyone else is doing at your age. Just be proud that you are in school and not sitting down your parent's basement playing video games freeloading with no goal in life like some do.

Give yourself time. People mature at different ages and age means nothing. You will learn new things as you go along without even realizing that those things are giving you more experience and responsibilities. You'll be fine!

Enjoy your youth! Do something new every chance you get. You've got your whole life ahead of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 02:25 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
The only way to learn more about life and the world is to experience it, that means going outside of your comfort zone. Mom and Dad have raised you and protected you, if you want to become an adult, do adult things, let go of the apron strings, college is the perfect place to work on your social graces, get involved. Sometimes you will fall and get hurt, that's an adult risk, it's learning how to get back up that matures you.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguru View Post
I don't know. I think some of them are generally having a great time.

My father pays it. The reason why I won't get a job is because I don't want to be tied down to the place i'm in and also I'm not sure if I could do it in regards to getting up early consistently.
People quit jobs all the time. I think if you are having trouble getting up early, then for goodness' sake, get a job and force yourself.

You have been asking about transitioning to adulthood and there is an avenue for growth right there!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:

My father pays it. The reason why I won't get a job is because I don't want to be tied down to the place i'm in and also I'm not sure if I could do it in regards to getting up early consistently.
College students usually either work on campus between classes, or wait tables or work retail in the evenings and on weekends. No one expects them to keep these jobs forever. If you're in school, you are more tied down that a job would make you.

I feel like you aren't paying any attention to how other 20 year old college students live.

You say you want to grow up, but the single most obvious thing you could do (get a job), you refuse. I guess it's easier to buy some adult clothes and call it good.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 04-01-2016 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 07:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
The reason why I won't get a job is because I don't want to be tied down to the place i'm in and also I'm not sure if I could do it in regards to getting up early consistently.
So what would you do if a class you needed to graduate was only offered at 8am on Mondays? Would you just drop out instead of committing to "getting up early consistently" ?

Old 04-01-2016, 09:07 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,360 times
Quote:
Other than that, I don't have a job (I don't have time) and have never done anything that particularly resenates as being a mature adult. Being from such a sheltered family/area has mean't that I haven't had to look after myself or watch out for dangerous things so in a way I am probably somewhat naive and may potentially be taken advantage of.
I'll just need your first and last name, SS number, address and mothers maiden name. Thanks

Old 04-02-2016, 10:40 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Exclamation omg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
What are you studying? Are you a full time student? How many hours are you taking? If you want to begin expanding your horizons, you probably do need to get a job. That will give you a clue quicker than anything.
Why is any of this your business? I really have to know.
Koale

Old 04-02-2016, 01:56 PM

330 posts, read 228,529 times
I know they are very nosy. I was embaressed when they asked me to them all those details.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:24 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,061,419 times
Oh hi, I would have answered earlier if I had known you had posted on here!

Now, I'm going to go against the grain regarding what everyone else on here has said about getting a job whilst you are studying. I actually wouldn't recommend doing this. Now before everyone has a go at me for saying this (as you already know) I have been through the British University system myself, doing science subjects.

You really need to concentrate fully on your course and give it 100%. If you want to get a job in the Summer holidays, then fine. But not whilst you are doing your course. I saw people at my Uni faffing around with other things instead of concentrating on their course and some of them even ended up failing!

Also, people don't realise how much work you have to do away from lectures - they just see people doing a few hours of lectures per week but you have to do so much work (especially if it's science) during your own time.

I'll also let you know (unfortunately) that your workload will probably double next year! Then double again for your final year!! And between the 2nd and 3rd year, you'll have your dissertation to do. That's a real pain in the arse - so keep that Summer holiday free!

But you are doing fine! Try not to keep comparing yourself to everyone else - their lives are probably more **** than you realise!

PS/ I'll be offering my opinion on your other thread later, when I get the time.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
I know they are very nosy. I was embaressed when they asked me to them all those details.
Why were you embarrassed? A couple of posters in this forum are very nosy, and ask for unnecessary info, but why would that embarrass you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships