Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 02:52 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I never paid any money to the Catholic church to have a name said in a mass. Have done it a few times now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Maybe she purchased a mass card? I have never paid. In fact with my dad I did it over the phone, asked that his name be mentioned. I don't know anyone who has paid for that.
Now you know one.

From large cities to the burbs. Some ask for donations. Some have a firm price. Bought my first in 1998 for the mandatory $25. Others less since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 03:09 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
They're discussing donating your body to medical science on another thread... Maybe we should suggest this THRIFTY alternative to those seeking tens of thousands for funerals on gofundme...

I don't even watch the local news anymore because every. single. story. is followed by a link to a gofundme page; ridiculous!

And, yes, there IS an "entitlement mentality" in this country directly attributable to a big government caring for certain people from cradle to grave and, if certain candidates get in office this year, you ain't seen nothin' yet where that's concerned. Gofundme is the redistribution of wealth by voluntary means, at least.

Sorry for your loss, Maggie!

Well that would be pretty heartless.

Also, you usually just can't decide last minute, "oh yeah, donate hubby's body to science!"

Also, at least in this state, if you die outside of a hospital, you can't donate your body or your organs.

Quote:
Well, for the purposes of THIS thread (which is about funerals and not politics), I think we can all agree that it isn't the right that encourages the entitlement mentality of gofundme.

I would love to do a political affiliation poll from people with campaigns on GFM. I suspect much of the asker-s who are not in genuine dire straits- are the hypocritical narcissistic type of, "well if everyone else is doing it, where is MY fair share?!" It's clear from this election cycle what political party cares more about cash.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:30 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
What? That like whopping 200 bucks a month!?

If she didn't have a pension and insurance, it would have taken YEARS to recoup 7k for an average funeral with those funds.
But she did have a pension and insurance.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
And you don't HAVE to be a sucker and fork over $7k for the "average" funeral.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 560 times
Default gofundme abuse

I have a family friend who is asking for funds for a baby with cancer. They say they need money for hospital and people are donating. I found out yesterday that they are planning a jet setting cruise this summer. The baby will be left with the father while the mother parties. I donated but now i want the money back. If they can afford an expensive cruise then why can't they pay their hospital bills? This has upset me. What is the matter with these people? why should the public pay their hospital bills?

Old 02-03-2017, 11:32 AM

If people are dumb -- I mean, nice -- enough to give to these online grifters, they have no one to blame but themselves. I give at the office, with 1/3 of my paycheck going to taxes.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:07 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
I've instructed my husband to directly arrange for my cremation upon my death.

No notice in the paper, no funeral service, no graveside (no grave).

That is how my mother did it, and how I will do it.

No fuss, no muss, get on with your life.

The end. (really)

Old 02-03-2017, 12:17 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
And you don't HAVE to be a sucker and fork over $7k for the "average" funeral.
$7k is actually quite low for an "average" burial. We just buried my father in November. He already had a plot paid for. The cemetery charged a $1200 plot opening fee. They also required a cement grave liner that was around $3000. The casket (a simple low end model ... not the bare pine box, but low end with no embellishments) was about $2500. We probably could have saved on the casket (I wish we had known that Costco sells caskets!!), but the rest was nonnegotiable.

That's not counting the cost of the plot, the headstone, simple flowers, obituaries, the fee for the priest and the organist, the programs, the funeral home fee, the transport and cold storage fees, and probably a lot of other expenses that aren't coming to mind right now.

And all this after being on the hook for required 24 hour nursing care from July to November that so far insurance isn't covering. That was over $53,000. Luckily, my parents had the financial resources in place.

And can't count on life insurance to cover the funeral. Dad's funeral was in November ... we just got the life insurance check last week.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:17 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times
You can leave a donation at the funeral home which is easier and 100% goes to the funeral expense. Someone where I live set up a gofundme acct. for a young mothers funeral. The family never received the money and the person who set it up is no where to be found the last time I heard. Some of the donations is taken out for payment to gofundme.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:19 PM

Anyone asking other people to pay for a funeral have an obligation to do it as cheaply as possible. Direct cremation is relatively cheap and wonderfully sensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships