Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 04:52 PM

22,320 posts, read 11,835,877 times

Advertisements

I see nothing wrong with asking your wife.

When my mother-in-law became very ill and her doctor said she needed a nursing home, my husband went down to FL by himself. His mother never made it to the nursing home. He visited her in the hospital and she told him she didn't want to go into a nursing home. A few hours after he visited her, she died. He is an only child and thus was responsible for dealing with everything. I asked him if he wanted me to come down and help him. He said "no". I did let him know that I had no problem with taking time off work to join him and if he changed his mind, I would get a plane ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 04:54 PM

22,320 posts, read 11,835,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Depends on what your wife wants, and whether you want to say a final goodbye before your MIL passes away. If all that is okay, it may be best to stay put so you can pick up your son. (I don't understand the religion reference.)
Judiasm requires quick burials. This link explains it all in great detail:

Timeline for Jewish Traditions in Death and Mourning

Old 04-10-2016, 05:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,540,240 times
Have you asked her? What's your job situation like? Can you take weeks off?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:50 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,237,406 times
We can't really make that call for you.

It depends on your wife's emotional state. Does she need backup or would she rather have one on one time alone with her mother? Do you feel the need to say goodbye to your MIL while she's still alive? Can someone else be ready on the spot to bring the kids there? How old is the youngest and would you prefer they see her in the hospital or not? Do they have any major tests coming up in the next week that you need time to reschedule? Do you plan on staying for the additional week of shiva or just the funeral in addition to the time she's in the hospital and where will you stay with the kids?

Talk to your wife and let her guide your decision.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,994,154 times
If your wife wants you there for your support, then go there. You can figure out how to get your son to the funeral when the time comes.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,546,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
OP, I can't figure out how far YOU are from where your wife is now.
It sounds like he is downstate NY or NJ, if he is 3 hours from the son in New England, so close enough to get in the car and drive and be there in a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Depends on what your wife wants, and whether you want to say a final goodbye before your MIL passes away. If all that is okay, it may be best to stay put so you can pick up your son. (I don't understand the religion reference.)
Yes, it does depend on what the wife wants, but it's not just about whether the OP wanting to say goodbye to his MIL, it's about being there for the wife when HER MOTHER passes. Even when you're expecting a death it still punches you in the stomach emotionally, he knows his wife, even if she says "I'm OK" is she really? Sounds like she is very close to her mother, she is going to need him when the mother passes.

Worry about getting the son there later. Deal with this now.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:14 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,004,603 times
If my mom was in the hospital and on the verge of death, and my husband was only a few hours' drive away from me and was debating on the City-Data forum whether or not he should come and be with me, I'd probably be hurt. When my husband's father passed away, I was by his side just about every minute for the week that he was in the hospital, for the funeral, etc. And we actually weren't even married yet, although we had been living together for 4+ years at that point. Go be with your wife. She needs you right now. You can figure out the logistics of getting your son there later.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:29 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,734,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My mother-in-law is in a hospital in upstate New York. She has been battling multiple sclerosis for over 40 years. She was brought to hospital late last week with pain and breathing difficulty. My wife went up there this morning to be with her.

She was hooked up to breathing tubes yesterday. They say she can live that way for about two weeks. My wife asked about a tracheotomy. The doctors say the likelihood is she winds up in a "facility" which I know would not be acceptable to my mother-in-law, wife or my stepfather-in-law. The discussion is running about whether there is any quality of life. So I think the outlook is for her to pass away shortly.

My older son is in college in Pennsylvania, has a car and can drive to the funeral. My younger son is a high-functioning college student on the autistic spectrum in college in New England, about a three hour drive from where I am now and where my younger son is.

I am pitching this to the board as to whether I should stay put and wait for the death or go straight up to my wife. The logic of staying put is to pick up my younger son for the funeral, which tends to be close in time to the death in my religion, Judaism.

Thoughts?
Ask your wife what she wants you to do. Not city data forum.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:43 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,079,310 times
agree about asking your wife what she needs and doing that. It may be that right now, it's easier for her to handle things on her own or it may not. She's the only one who can say.

as for the funeral, while it's traditional to have it the next day, that is very often stretched out to allow time to make the necessary arrangements for people to get there. When my grandmother died, the funeral was several days later so everyone had time to gather from across the country. You can make that part work out so I wouldn't factor it into the decision beyond knowing that you'll need to make whatever arrangements to pick up your younger son.

I would agree with whoever asked about your MIL's current condition and whether she is able to receive visitors and whether it makes sense for you and your sons to try to get there for some good byes. Also something to discuss with your wife.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,677,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Ask your wife what she wants you to do. Not city data forum.
I agree.

Whether his being there will be helpful or a hindrance depends on their relationship.

My grandfather was like having another child around. He was not good at keeping himself busy or being intuitive about what was helpful, so he was not very supportive to my grandmother when she was dealing with stress. He became one more thing to worry about.

If you are like that, OP, then your wife may not want you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships