Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would happen if 14 of your family members shared a beach house?
We would have a blast, lots of great conversation, food and drink! 74 30.96%
It would be mixed at best- I just don't know. 34 14.23%
It would be a generally miserable week, with some good times 64 26.78%
A living hell with lots of yelling, screaming and no sleep! 67 28.03%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:19 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,808,944 times

Advertisements

Not all who wander are lost. I've set the precedent with my family, that sometimes, I will simply "wander off". One minute I'll be there and the next: not. People will sometimes ask: "where is X?", and the family simply says he's wandered off. I take my phone with me, just in case.

I could do it for two weeks as long as my wife and I had our own bedroom. If things heat up, I'll just wander off. . . .

This should be easy for you, too, now that you've retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 10:20 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,296,770 times
Only if I had my own private bedroom and bath.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:45 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,585,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
My daughter just had our first grandchild back in October. So our next family get together will have four generations for sure We are in the planing stages for a Sept get together in Nashville, Tennessee. Life goes quick and all the hard work pays off when you get older and see family getting excited being together for fun times. I grew up with four siblings and I get to see most a couple times a year, some more then others due to logistics. Both my two kids are starting to build their family's and we still see them every day. It takes work exposing the children to extended family members with most living out of state. We make a point traveling to weddings, graduations, new births, holidays and funerals and hosting holidays at our house. We are lucky to have our parents living close by us and living in Florida. That makes the other siblings living out of state want to come visit. All and all, I find that you get the most out of family relationships by how much you put in. Don't end up that old person living in the retirement home in front of the TV, while the other ones have family members visiting sharing good stories and memories.
I agree. A terrific statement.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:14 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,328,574 times
14? No way...not that I could put together 14 family members. 8 or 9, yes. Me, DH, our two daughters, grandson, son-in-law, my mom, and my two brothers are pretty much the extent of my family. DH is estranged from his family. But the list above would be enough, and we'd have a great time. Not necessarily at the beach (my mom and brothers don't like it very much), but the mountains...now you're talking.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:45 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,755,546 times
Kill me now if it involved John's family. I won't even go to his mother's funeral.

If it's one if my besties Filipino family a week wouldn't be enough. Well maybe it would because I'd probably gain 20 pounds. I've been to many of her family parties through out the years. They're lovely people. No one was drunk and they all got along.

If it's my neighbors that lived across the street and their shorties then I'm in for that as well. I've been to many of their family gatherings and have been part of that family for over a decade now. They rented a house on the beach in Michigan and I drove up for the day with Howie. They wanted me to spend the night but I had to work the next day. I hated to leave.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:15 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,113,068 times
Hell. No.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:50 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,009,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
No, no, and hell no! The only person I'm on decent terms with is my mother and the most I can stand her is 3-4 days tops. I'd never sign up for a week of family giving me crap over how I love my different from their beliefs.
This is me too , no WAY would I do this . .... and my mom is dead so there you go !

Old 04-17-2016, 03:02 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,786,235 times
Absolutely not. I don't do well with crowds of people and 14, to me, is a crowd. If I had my own private condo I would be okay with it.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:07 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,333,694 times
Just shoot me now. Get it over with.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:59 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I just assumed that's how it would be; it's the obvious solution. A couple of kids might sleep on sofas, others can have futons to sleep on the floor. It's not a big deal. If the OP is overwhelmed by the idea, s/he can opt out.
It's a big deal to the home owner who is not renting out a 4 bedroom flophouse to sleep 14 people. (apparently)

With the decreased bedrooms comes decreased bathrooms, too.

I think everyone should be able to pay the $214 per PERSON rate of the going price in OC for a 5-6 BR.

Of course GUARANTEED the ones with the little kids are going to think they don't qualify as "persons". And we're off to the bickering races....

Since the sister is attempting to squeeze 14 persons into a house that isn't meant for 14, that tells me she's not even willing to pay $214 for the week per person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships