Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:50 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Agreed here too.

And they controlled what we could wear at the school I went to. The dress code rules I remember.

1. No V necks.
2. Not pants with designs
3. Skirts could be above knees
4. Had to wear ID tags, and they had to be viable
5. Shirts could not go past pockets
6. Certain jewelry was not to be worn
7. Tattoos could not be seen

And they'd have teachers standing at the front door when students came in so they could catch dress code violations as soon as you walked in the door.
I have to chuckle at this. In my high school in the 1960s, boys couldn't wear jeans, girls couldn't wear slacks, shirts had to be tucked in, and a tattoo would get you expelled!

I don't remember ID tags, viable or deceased...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post

Honestly what's shocking is how stupid we are to just send all our kids there as if it was great and we'd want to do it ourselves. At the bare minimal we should be instilling more college like features that allow kids to skip grades and take the classes they want etc so they are quickly surrounded by people like them and not just whatever lowest common denominators lived in the town. Also WTF Gym class telling you to ****ing run around etc.
These days they are blending HS with college, and some universities actually expect or require that applicants will have completed a couple of college-level classes, whether it's at their local CC, advanced placement courses in their school, or an "international baccalaureate" program. There's a program in Seattle that's been around since around the 70's or 80's that sets students up to go into college after 3 years of HS, and complete college in 3 years. So in 6 years you're done with both HS and college. It makes sense to have kids start some college classes in their senior year, if they can handle it, because the senior year of HS tends to be kind of bogus, anyway, once they've taken their SAT's.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,989 times
Aside from the fact that is a colossal waste of time?

In most public schools, it's social training masquerading as education.

I mean seriously, 4 years of English? 4 years of History? Yet they only require 2 years of the most important subject(math), which they barely dive into?

Give me a break.

If I have kids, they're getting home schooled.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Agreed here too.

And they controlled what we could wear at the school I went to. The dress code rules I remember.

1. No V necks.
2. Not pants with designs
3. Skirts could be above knees
4. Had to wear ID tags, and they had to be viable
5. Shirts could not go past pockets
6. Certain jewelry was not to be worn
7. Tattoos could not be seen

And they'd have teachers standing at the front door when students came in so they could catch dress code violations as soon as you walked in the door.
Wow, Rules. That is just terrible. Tattoos on kids? Amazing. What parent allows that?

Viable ID badges. Just wondering? Did the ID badges work successfully? I mean since they are viable and all. At work our ID badges have to be viable and visible. We use them to clock in so we all hope that they are working, or as you say Viable. We also need to have them visible so everyone can see them.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:46 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
I didn't hate high school, but, I was an ugly duckling and never had a boyfriend, barely made it to prom, had to get pity dates, watched all my friends date, felt awkward, and I purposely chose to go to an all-girl's high school because I knew if I went to my local neighborhood high school with boys, they would tease me endlessly.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:56 AM

I didn't hate high school, I just loved the beach better. My wife on the other hand was very involved with school, track, ASB, other things. We are the parents of 6 kids and are now very involved with our kids high school. Here is the benefit to that. First three kids have since graduated. All did very well. All were involved with different things at school.

Our second son played football his Freshman year, got involved with the Competitive Co-ed cheer teem when the football season was done. Ended up staying with cheer the remaining three years of school. Became the schools Social Media chair, Was voted Sophomore class Homecoming Prince, Homecoming King his senior year, organized dances as part of ASB, was a morning anchor for the schools TV station news program hosting one day a week.

As parents we became so involved with our kids high school that we joined the boosters. The Principle became a friend as have many teachers at the school. We had always realized the importance of parent involvement at school and during elementary were always there for our kids helping out, going on field trips, I even went to science camp for a week with one son. With our sons involvement we needed to be there because we had to drive kids to events all over the place. Our kids High School cheer team competed all over the state, at national events in other states. Many times our van was filled with cheer leaders heading somewhere. What we decided was that parental involvement had to continue into the high school years and also all of our kids would be involved with sports, clubs, and or ASB.

Because of this our youngest son, a 6th grader, took it upon himself, without telling us, to apply to join ASB for his 7th grade year. He brought home a packet that had over 30 signatures from students, he had three of his teachers fill in the teacher part of the packet. Then he brought it home to get our approval for the school. We had to sign off on it and were delightfully surprised that he had taken it upon himself to do this. What an amazing initiative from an 11 year old kid.

We don't tell our kids what to do in life. That is up to them. We do encourage them to do something. Their choice. We will support them in what ever they want to do. By doing that it seems that they are having an amazing time in school. Good grades, plenty of friends, lots of involvement. We want our kids to have an amazing high school career and then go on to other things.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:00 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,856 times
I didn't hate high school, I'm just indifferent about it. It was something I had to do to move on with my life and go onto the next stage, just like college was.

People whose lives peaked in high school are sad individuals indeed and I feel sorry for them. Lots of things to experience after high school, too bad they're too mediocre and narrow minded to see that.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Aside from the fact that is a colossal waste of time?

In most public schools, it's social training masquerading as education.

I mean seriously, 4 years of English? 4 years of History? Yet they only require 2 years of the most important subject(math), which they barely dive into?

Give me a break.

If I have kids, they're getting home schooled.
What are you talking about? Here are the graduation requirements for my kids' high school:

4.0 credits of English
3.0 credits of Math
3.0 credits of Science
3.0 credits of Social Studies

22.0 credits total to graduate

Old 04-19-2016, 10:06 AM

Here are the graduation requirements for our district, which are state of California requirements:

Minimum Requirements for Graduation: Class of 2016 and 2017

Credits Subject
40 English

30 Mathematics

20 Physical Education

20 Science

5 Health Education/State Requirements

35 Social Science

10 Foreign Language or Visual and Performing Arts

70 Elective Coursework

Minimum Requirements for Graduation Beginning with Class of 2018

40 English

30 Mathematics

20 Physical Education

20 Science

5 Health Education/State Requirements

35 Social Science

20 Foreign Language or Visual and Performing Arts or Career Technical Education

60 Elective Coursework

In our district they also have academies that the students can join. These are for the four year time frame and depending on the school as we have 7 operating high schools and two that will open in 2018. One high school offers a ASE certification program with a full shop. They end up restoring a car a year along with working on other cars during the year. The restored car is auctioned off to support the program. Another school has an aviation academy, computer science, nursing, engineering are other academies. Our kids school has 7 different academies, the most in the district. Since the high school district started those the Middle school which is part of a different district has started offering academies to prepare kids for the high school academies. Many of these academies have fed students into the University system or other schools where the students have become prepared to continue their studies in a focused environment. When kids know what they want to do in life, the college part of it goes much quicker. In the past students have had a tendency to change their career focus. It is hoped with the academy system that students will continue on into a chosen career and be ahead of the game.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 04-19-2016 at 10:21 AM..

Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
I'm sure there's a little variation between states and/or districts, but I don't think any university-bound student takes just the minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships