Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:58 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times

Advertisements

I hated high school. It was one of the worst times of my life. I had an abusive father, broken home, I was an unknown when I entered Jr High and didn't know anyone since I was coming from a different school. I was also smaller than most boys (I was 5'7" and weighed 100 lbs soaking wet) so I was not only sexually frustrated but I was a loser who didn't have any friends. I eventually fell in with the dirt bag metal head crowd. Got in a ton of trouble, did lots of drugs, grew my hair long, got into different bands but was still miserable. Drug use was my escape from it all. I hated high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 08:31 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
I think most people who hate high school are in a hurry to grow up. I don't see how school years could not be the best time of your life. You don't have to worry about bills you have less knowledge of real world problems (I guess in high school many people are more aware but not as aware as a full grown adult ) you don't have to cook or do lame things like vaccum.
I guess for me I really do miss it because nothing is good about being an adult. I can't get a job I don't cook I don't know how to do laundry I don't drive. High school was pretty good for me. I didn't have much friends..most of my friends moved to a different school and there were some kids that weren't pleasant. Senior year I ended up sitting with the Spanish people for a while because I didn't know where else to sit but I had no bullies. I got along with most of my teachers. I loved to learn and was an avid book reader in my school years. My home life wasn't good but I had school as an escape. I didn't yet have to worry about what I was going to be when I got out (although I wish they had pushed me more to decide as it was ending). Also high school was still okay because I didn't get my period until the last year. I miss that.
The only general negatives about high school was same crappy cafeteria food and getting up early. There would be days I wouldn't even eat anything because it was so nasty and I don't like packed lunches. Finally the other thing that sucks is when it ends. I played hooky the last year because I did not want to leave. I lost touch with a lot of people there too. I wish I hadn't because I'm sure a lot of the teachers would have made good references.
Since I said most teachers there was one teacher I did not like...no one did. They all called her Ms. Itch with a capital B (her first name started with a B) My period got really bad one day to the point I couldn't work. Maybe it's because I didn't say what was going on (but I was always a quiet kid) but she was getting on my case about not doing my assignments when I was clearly suffering. She also said something about me asking for a pencil on a day of a test. Eventually I got more okay with her though I guess because I ended up volunteering for her for work study.
I didn't like some subjects but they weren't too bad since the teachers were pretty nice. The only class I really hated was Geometry. Ugh I just did not get it. I still don't. I barely passed.
College to me is worse when it comes to that because the subjects are far too difficult and you take more boring classes to complete your major with less electives. Not to mention my college seems to not be taken seriously so that helps.

Even though I loved school still, my worst school years were in middle school. That seemed to be the time when problems at home were really affecting me because I had a community liason and yeah I'm not even going to go into it..I just was in too much behavioral trouble at home. Also I had more friends then than in high school obv but there was one girl at one point who tried to get my friend to not talk to me. It made for awkward lunches. I was glad to get that part out of my life because having a friend of a friend hate you is never fun. I'm not even sure why. I never did anything to her.
I think that was the time I was also babysat after school because my mom had to work and one of the mom's daughters was kinda snooty.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:28 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I think most people who hate high school are in a hurry to grow up. I don't see how school years could not be the best time of your life. You don't have to worry about bills you have less knowledge of real world problems (I guess in high school many people are more aware but not as aware as a full grown adult ) you don't have to cook or do lame things like vaccum.
Well there are pros and cons to anything. With adulthood you do get some extra stresses. But you also have more freedom. If you're not dealing with a boss you work for, then you are your own boss. You can do as you please without hearing parents say no, or lecturing you about every little thing. You don't have to sneak around parents because you are grown and have your own life and space that does not require having to deal with them now, or getting or sneaking around their approval.

And with school, not everyone fit in or had friends. Thus what was fun about going to a building you were stuck in for 8 hours, being forced to learn and do what they made you that you may possibly have had no interest in, or may never need. Some classes you took were basically just to graduate. Or going where you're stuck interacting with hateful kids whose hobby is to tease people. Then some HS do not give students free rein to wear what they like. The fashion is policed like crazy. Then there's having to rush and get to your next class because once the bell went off, you only had 5 min. to do so. I had to carry all of my books in my backpack for 4 years, which messed up my back, because I never had time to stop by my locker and get to a class on the other side of school in 5 min. And some of the teachers I had growing up were complete asses. They'd scream at the top of their lungs, throw desks across the room, mock students, and outright call them dumb.

And unlike a job, you didn't get paid to be in school. lol I am still young - not even 30 yet. And I agree adulthood is difficult. Due to my slacking when I was younger, I am playing catch-up now. But even with this, I prefer these days to any school times I had period. School in general just wasn't fun, was of no interest to me. probably would have dropped out if you didn't have to be a senior in HS to do so. By that point, you may as well stay the last few months. lol

Last edited by HappyRain; 04-29-2016 at 07:53 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 01:21 PM

710 posts, read 584,070 times
I hated it because I didn't fit in with most people and I found most of the stuff that I was taught boring and irrelevant. I'm so glad I'm out and I wouldn't go back if I was payed to.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:59 PM

806 posts, read 876,366 times
I hated my High School years . I didn't fit into any of the cliques , and I was a ( barely ) average student . I have avoided all of the reunions . Zero interest .

Old 04-29-2016, 06:30 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
The best thing about high school was the fact I was young, ache free, never went to a funeral, had both of my parents in relatively good shape, and in great physical shape. Basically nothing actually to do with high school.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:35 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
The best thing about high school was the fact I was young, ache free, never went to a funeral, had both of my parents in relatively good shape, and in great physical shape. Basically nothing actually to do with high school.
Same for me. Again, I am nowhere near old. But as I get older, the one thing I am sad about is it means my parents are getting older as well, and eventually their health will worsen, and they'll be gone. So with being younger, it meant my parents were also younger and doing great. So if I missed anything from my childhood, it was the younger, healthier, parents & the blissful ignorance lol But school isn't on that list. School I could have done without.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:12 AM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Same for me. Again, I am nowhere near old. But as I get older, the one thing I am sad about is it means my parents are getting older as well, and eventually their health will worsen, and they'll be gone. So with being younger, it meant my parents were also younger and doing great. So if I missed anything from my childhood, it was the younger, healthier, parents & the blissful ignorance lol But school isn't on that list. School I could have done without.
I think some people have the tendency to conflate memories of childhood with memories of high school.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:13 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times
I didnt even keep any of my middle school or HS yearbooks, I burned them years ago in the trash, I dont want to see any of those people again.

it also makes it easier to forget their names and faces by not keeping anything from HS

Old 05-04-2016, 04:37 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbreaze View Post
I personally think it's the best time of your life. You get the opportunity to experiment with new things , Make awesome memories , meet new people, have "more freedom" as a young adult. I just really don't understand why so many people seem to despise high school
Yes secondary school ( age 11-16 UKs version of HS ) is a rough old place here, yes you get the memories and have friendships and the bond of spending 5 years together.

but kids can be mean and for most that say they hate their school memories they are referring to being bullied perhaps it's the changing from kids to young adults that makes school " hard " for some?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships