Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:36 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Star View Post
It was the most horrible time of my life I would not wish upon my worst enemies.

Having to study all those boring subjects under those snobbish teachers...ugh. It felt like jail more than anything. I've never been to jail, but I'm assuming it wouldn't be far off from school is like.
School is an outdated system that originated during the industrial revolution. And here we are in 21st century, our children still attending this archaic establishment. Talk about progress...
I think there is a whole lot of folks in Jail who would gladly trade places with any HS student in any school any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:00 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
If high school was the best time in your life, you need to change directions. lol

I really don't remember a whole lot from high school, it is such a short time and goes by fast. I had far more fun beginning around age 23 when I got a job and money in my pocket. Having money opens the doors to all sorts of things fun.

What is sad, is those that still talk about high school all the time. Especially the ones who their greatest accomplishment was being prom queen/king, head cheerleader or quarterback. The rest of us can't even remember those things. I have tried a few times to remember who was prom queen when high school comes up in conversation with people and I can't for the life of me remember.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:11 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
If high school was the best time in your life, you need to change directions. lol

I really don't remember a whole lot from high school, it is such a short time and goes by fast. I had far more fun beginning around age 23 when I got a job and money in my pocket. Having money opens the doors to all sorts of things fun.

What is sad, is those that still talk about high school all the time. Especially the ones who their greatest accomplishment was being prom queen/king, head cheerleader or quarterback. The rest of us can't even remember those things. I have tried a few times to remember who was prom queen when high school comes up in conversation with people and I can't for the life of me remember.
It was the blond with the big boobs

Old 04-18-2016, 07:16 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,415 times
I think it's pretty sad if high school is the best time of your life. I couldn't wait to get out myself as I didn't fit in with hardly anybody. If you were not in the cliques, people did not talk to you and went out of their way to make life as unbearable as possible. College was totally the opposite experience, night and day difference. I was exposed to a much larger variety of people that actually shared some of the same interests I do like in music and other things.

The OP makes the assumption that everyone's experiences should be the same, which is ridiculous. I actually think now is the best time in my life. You couldn't get me to back to high school years for anything.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
High school wasn't horrible, I had fun and have some great memories. And I'm still friends with a lot of my high school friends. But I also have some pretty bad memories as well.

Honestly, I feel bad for people who say high school was the best time of their lives and it all went down hill from there.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:31 AM

4,509 posts, read 4,044,124 times
If you think about how college and high school are different and why one is normally great for everyone and the other is torture it's pretty obvious how highschool would be just as much torture then as it would actually be now if adults had to do it again. IE: highschool is basically the DMV, for life, and you have no money, car, or freedom and you depend on your parents again.

Honestly what's shocking is how stupid we are to just send all our kids there as if it was great and we'd want to do it ourselves. At the bare minimal we should be instilling more college like features that allow kids to skip grades and take the classes they want etc so they are quickly surrounded by people like them and not just whatever lowest common denominators lived in the town. Also WTF Gym class telling you to ****ing run around etc.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:50 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbreaze View Post
I personally think it's the best time of your life. You get the opportunity to experiment with new things , Make awesome memories , meet new people, have "more freedom" as a young adult. I just really don't understand why so many people seem to despise high school
I think you are confusing high school with college.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 AM

510 posts, read 500,269 times
In high school you're basically stuck in a building for eight hours doing things you don't want to do 80% of the time. Depending on the school, you're stuck having to follow wacky rules (chewing gum, can't carry advil, eating during class) and if you break them you have to go to "detention". Then you have the Future-Sociopaths-of-America Club who decided one day you were going to be the target of their shenanigans for the day (or all 4 years) for no other reason than their amusement. When you get home you're under the thumb of your parents, who are probably a nervous wreck thinking you're about to do drugs, drink, smoke, get into a car accident, get (yourself or someone) pregnant.

And to top it off you get to look forward to the SATs so you can get into a "good school", extra-curricular activities (for that college application) and maybe sports teams with a coach that takes his job way to seriously.

Then at the end you graduate and realize you never have to do that again.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Overall, high school was great! I disliked high school "to an extent" while I was attending, but that was just being a normal kid. It meant getting up earlier than ever before, commuting 14 miles on the bus each way, and having more responsibilities during the school year.

However, it was a new chapter in my life as well and opened me up to new experiences. Going to school with a blend of former classmates from grammar school and a whole crop of kids from other towns in the area was cool. Having the ability to get off the bus, leave school property, and walk into town to buy bagels and drinks before school was new to me too. Detention was a new experience too , as well as dances, intramural sports, and many different extra-curricular activities. It was the most freedom I've had in a school environment up to that point in my life; I never realized how restrictive my previous school was.

Anyway, high school opened my eyes to a lot of new things. I just wish I was more prepared to handle the social aspect as well as the college prep part. I was the first in my family to go on to graduate from college. Since I wasn't aware of the role collegiate schools and alumni associations played later in life, I chose to attend community college and then finish my education at night and on weekends. In retrospect, I should have been aiming much higher in high school.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:17 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbreaze View Post
I personally think it's the best time of your life. You get the opportunity to experiment with new things , Make awesome memories , meet new people, have "more freedom" as a young adult. I just really don't understand why so many people seem to despise high school
one of the primary reasons that so many dislike HS in the USA is that American culture celebrates elitism in a way that is completely unacceptable in many other cultures.

High schools promote a stratification of the community, placing athletes on pedestals and encourages young women to literally worship them.

Instead of creating an environment that embraces academia and works towards making everyone the best students they can be, we have a culture that overlooks rape, illiteracy , bullying etc in order to protect the schools most coveted asset (athletes).

Most HS athletes peak in HS, those "glory days" remain the peak of their lives. Sure in small towns a few achieve enough local fame to assist their careers, but most find themselves washed up at 18.

We could buy millions of computers, train millions in long term vocational skill sets that would feed cloth and educate their families for their entire lives, but instead we hire Football coaches for silly money and divert our education dollars to sports.

One day America will wake up but it will be far too late and we will not have the money to fix this broken education system. We out spend most other nations on ed, but that money goes into nonsense and sport. Worse still it is extremely unevenly distributed and that leaves a large percentage of our youth under prepared for life and unable to find a profitable and productive path forward. Thus they become a negative drag on the economy.

The funny thing about ED in the USA is that neither party handles it well and nobody seems to grasp that ED is the best investment we can make but its return relies on embraces all spectrums of society.

So why to people hate HS? well it fails them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships