Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 01:36 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,486,659 times

Advertisements

My uncle moved 2000 miles away a lifetime ago. He used to visit, every few years, and brought his kids when they and I were kids. We're all old now. I am the only one from here that had been to my uncles house. Had almost no interaction with the cousins when I was there. There is no family left here of my uncle's generation. I found the obit for my aunt & uncle a few years ago. No notice was sent back here. I don't think they have any interest in us. I have almost no contact information for them. County records show my male cousin as the owner of my uncles house and the house phone number may still work. They are more collage/ professional and we are more grey collar/ industrial. I don't know what I would say to these people. Here's the thing. We're retired and we're doing some travel each year. It's a popular travel destination and we're gonna be out there again. I wonder if I should look them up. Seems like it would be awkward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 02:33 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,140 times
Our family has some distant ones. I don't even know any info about them. As my parents did not say any. Why not give a call and see if they at least alive.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:10 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
You could give a call ahead of your trip and ask if they would like to get together. You could take them out to lunch of dinner.

I've met up with several cousins, and it's amazing how familiar it seems with some of them.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:14 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
My older relatives seem to communicate with each other a lot on Facebook. You might try seeing if they're on FB and reconnecting there.

If you do call or write, you should mention that you'll be visiting their area and wondered if you could take them out for dinner or meet them for drinks or something specific and limited like that. Otherwise they'll be wondering if you're trying to reconnect so you can stay with them when you visit. People who live in popular vacation destinations are always fending off requests like that.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:02 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
I don't see why it should be awkward. Just make it clear that you're coming for the tourist attraction anyway and not to see them specifically (so as not to pressure them) and also that you don't expect them to put you up or anything, but would like to treat them to dinner. Or if not treat, at least meet them for a meal or drink. Should be fun!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:48 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,343,862 times
My deceased Mom's great nephew lives in Germany (Mom was an immigrant) and he and his mother -- my cousin -- visited my parents a couple of times in the 90's. But I lived far away raising my own family and never met them.

When I was a kid, Mom would go back to see her large family in Germany on occasional summers while I was at camp. Mom never took me along or even really talked about her family back in Germany. She was a very strange person and had bad memories of her own childhood. She did not seem to want her own kids to be connected to her past. I knew I had many German cousins because my mother was one of 11 children. But this one son of Mom's neice has been interested in connecting. He completed his graduate studies in Australia and speaks fluent English. Last year he asked to friend me on FB.

So, when he noticed by my FB posts that I was in Cologne, Germany a couple of weeks ago he FB messaged me and asked to meet for a beer. He said he was only about 20 min from where I was. We met and he brought along his Mom (my first cousin) and it was so good to meet them. He told me about other family we share living in Europe. I was really, really happy to meet them and so pleased he reached out.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
I don't see why it would be awkward. Just give them a call or email saying you'll be in the area and if they have time you would love to get together.

Years ago I was in a similar situation let my cousin know I'd be in the area and we met for dinner. It was great to catch up and share stories.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:46 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
You may learn so many fascinating things about your family! Meet for a leisurely dinner.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:22 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Look them up! My family has a reunion every 2 years. My first cousins never go. My sister and I go. Pretty much everyone there is so distant, I don't even know how we are related (we share a great-great-great (or more) grandparent.

It is a blast. And I have even seen some of the cousins outside of the reunion. I hit it off with a few my age and we met up last fall when I visited their city.

Some other distant cousins I recently met had hilarious stories about my dad as a kid (they were distant cousins for him too). My dad just found some distant cousins live about 60 miles away and they are working on meeting up and trading family trees.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:22 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
My uncle moved 2000 miles away a lifetime ago. He used to visit, every few years, and brought his kids when they and I were kids. We're all old now. I am the only one from here that had been to my uncles house. Had almost no interaction with the cousins when I was there. There is no family left here of my uncle's generation. I found the obit for my aunt & uncle a few years ago. No notice was sent back here. I don't think they have any interest in us. I have almost no contact information for them. County records show my male cousin as the owner of my uncles house and the house phone number may still work. They are more collage/ professional and we are more grey collar/ industrial. I don't know what I would say to these people. Here's the thing. We're retired and we're doing some travel each year. It's a popular travel destination and we're gonna be out there again. I wonder if I should look them up. Seems like it would be awkward.
How do you know unless you try? You seem to have the phone number, your cousin still lives in the house.

You call and you tell them you will be in the area(make it clear you're not looking to stay with them) and would like to drop by or take them out to dinner. They either will be receptive or not.

I live in CA and went back east in 2014 and saw a cousin I hadn't seen in 25 years, we had a blast. Was completely comfortable within a few minutes.

Who cares what you do or they do for a living? You can only talk to people who have the same type of jobs as you? Come on, you're putting up walls that aren't there.

Pick up the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships