Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 12:42 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times

Advertisements

Do you often have trouble understanding why people act and feel in certain ways?

Do you have trouble picking up on social cues?

Do people often misunderstand you or avoid conversations with you?

Do facial expressions and strong emotions confuse you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 12:56 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
I am not going to tell you what to do. Since you're not in the wedding, I imagine you have good reason not to go.

Of all the things in my life I wish I had not done, number one is going to my brother's wedding. Not going to go into the reason why other than to remind posters that not everyone is part of a happy family. I support your doing what's right for you, OP. Wish I had done the same.

Last edited by jay5835; 04-29-2016 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 01:00 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
OP - Whether you "understand" why people marry or not matters not at all. He's your brother. He's reaching a big milestone in his life and he wants you to be there. If you don't go, don't be surprised if one day you have to start another thread about why you're brother isn't there for you when you want him to be.

Is the "fuss" of his wedding really worth damaging your relationship?

Old 04-29-2016, 01:16 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I support their marriage

No, not if you don't go when he wants you there. You don't support him at all then.

His wedding day isn't about you or your beliefs about marriage. He and his spouse-to-be obviously thinks the wedding is an important day in their life. You support them and their marriage by honoring what they find important.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:22 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
I'm a male and I don't really understand marriage/weddings. Frankly, I don't understand why people get married.

I don't want to deal with the fuss. Family members are supporting the wedding but it seems like it's making them a little too chaotic and I want to avoid this. I'm cool with my brother but it's not like we hang out. So I'm thinking about avoiding the wedding. I support their marriage and I'm fine being there for them after the wedding.
When you are thirteen you may regret it.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:23 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
If your brother doesn't care if you don't go to his wedding, don't go. If your brother would be hurt if you didn't attend, then go.

Sometimes we have to be unselfish and do something nice for someone else. Especially on such an important occasion.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:23 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
I'm a male and I don't really understand marriage/weddings. Frankly, I don't understand why people get married.

I don't want to deal with the fuss. Family members are supporting the wedding but it seems like it's making them a little too chaotic and I want to avoid this. I'm cool with my brother but it's not like we hang out. So I'm thinking about avoiding the wedding. I support their marriage and I'm fine being there for them after the wedding.
Nah, you don't have to go.

No big deal.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:35 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,481 times
I wouldn't just not show up, but I'd let them know ahead of time that I'm not going to make it. I have missed weddings and no one's held it against me (if they've talked behind my back, i'm unaware of it). I don't regret not going.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
I wouldn't just not show up, but I'd let them know ahead of time that I'm not going to make it. I have missed weddings and no one's held it against me (if they've talked behind my back, i'm unaware of it). I don't regret not going.
Have you skipped a sibling's wedding?

Weddings are often stressful for the families involved. If I skipped my brothers' weddings, not only would my siblings have been hurt, but so would my parents. And the focus would have been redirected from the couple onto me, because, I assure you relatives and friends will talk.

The good thing is the stress usually dissipates as soon as the vows are exchanged, and the rest of it, if you allow it to be so, is just a party.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:00 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Go to the wedding! His wedding day is the most important day of his life.

Don't turn the focus of his wedding on you. His wedding day is about him, not you. You may not understand marriage or want to get married, so DON'T. But he IS getting married. It's a big deal. Be there for him.

If you love someone you should want to celebrate the major milestones of their lives with them. This is not difficult to understand. You really need help if you can't understand this. Please go see a therapist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships