Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 03:50 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times

Advertisements

There is this girl from work who happens to be an intern. She's still in college and had her very first interview for a job post-graduation last week.

She asked me to help her out with the interview. She wanted me to train her and to provide her with the answers to the questions that could be asked. I have quite a large spectrum of interview experiences, so I knew how to prepare her properly.

She was totally unprepared beforehand. She had no clue how to answer the questions.

Turns out she got the job. I had sent her an email and she didn't bother replying at all. Not even a thank you. I sent her the email three days ago. I've never seen such thing in my life. Now that she got the job, I'm useless?

I now wish I hadn't helped her out to be honest.

Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 03:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Sorry to hear that, OP. Some people are very opportunistic, only concerned with getting ahead at any cost.

I wouldn't have given her the answers, only the questions. She could come up with her own answers. It's the difference between parents doing their kids' homework for them, vs. enabling them to do it themselves with a little guidance.

Still, I imagine that would have been hard to do. She would have demanded that you help her with the answers. Well, live and learn, I guess. Maybe the next time someone asks, you should charge for your coaching/tutoring service. No free ride anymore, no more Mister Nice Guy.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry to hear that, OP. Some people are very opportunistic, only concerned with getting ahead at any cost.

I wouldn't have given her the answers, only the questions. She could come up with her own answers. It's the difference between parents doing their kids' homework for them, vs. enabling them to do it themselves with a little guidance.

Still, I imagine that would have been hard to do. She would have demanded that you help her with the answers. Well, live and learn, I guess. Maybe the next time someone asks, you should charge for your coaching/tutoring service. No free ride anymore, no more Mister Nice Guy.

I'm a woman

She has the questions from her HR agency but those questions were misleading because they never get asked at interviews. I actually provided her with the questions and answers, I'm so stupid. I normally don't act this naive. I'm really mad at myself for helping her out when she's already terrible at the job she does at this company because she keeps chasing guys and her ex. Lord.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I'm a woman

She has the questions from her HR agency but those questions were misleading because they never get asked at interviews. I actually provided her with the questions and answers, I'm so stupid. I normally don't act this naive. I'm really mad at myself for helping her out when she's already terrible at the job she does at this company because she keeps chasing guys and her ex. Lord.
Oops. Well, in that case, I wouldn't have helped her. I guess it's about learning to be more judicious in whom one decides to help. The urge to be helpful can sometimes override common sense. It happens.

OK, no more Ms. Nice Guy, then.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:04 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
you shouldn't feel bad or wish you didn't help. you did so because you are a good person, it shouldn't matter that an inexperienced girl doesn't know how to express thankfulness. I suspect you didn't help just to be thanked. many people well into their 20's don't know how to eat right in a decent restaurant, nor do they know the niceties of life. not everyone has parents that teach these skills because they lack them, themselves.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:06 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,395,921 times
Quote:
she's already terrible at the job she does at this company because she keeps chasing guys and her ex. Lord.
Sounds like she'll get canned soon enough...then when she contacts you again for help just ignore!

Old 04-30-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you shouldn't feel bad or wish you didn't help. you did so because you are a good person, it shouldn't matter that an inexperienced girl doesn't know how to express thankfulness. I suspect you didn't help just to be thanked. many people well into their 20's don't know how to eat right in a decent restaurant, nor do they know the niceties of life. not everyone has parents that teach these skills because they lack them, themselves.
I'm in my twenties too haha.

I didn't help her because I wanted to be thanked. I helped her because she reminded me of me at 23 when I had no clue how to anticipate job interviews and I wished someone was there to help me out. I suppose I felt some kind of sympathy because of the "I've been there".

I'm usually rather competitive and I don't help anyone out, but this time around, I acted differently.

To say she only got into the company to try and mend things with her ex. Who was I fooling?

Old 04-30-2016, 04:14 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
I'm in my twenties too haha.

I didn't help her because I wanted to be thanked. I helped her because she reminded me of me at 23 when I had no clue how to anticipate job interviews and I wished someone was there to help me out. I suppose I felt some kind of sympathy because of the "I've been there".

I'm usually rather competitive and I don't help anyone out, but this time around, I acted differently.

To say she only got into the company to try and mend things with her ex. Who was I fooling?
never feel bad for being kind. maybe next time just hold back some? I worked in a commission workplace for a long, long time. there was never any real training and most of my co workers would never help out a newbie because they are competition for the sales dollar. I could never completely turn my back on someone who needed help, answers to how to do something. I just made sure to keep my own game strong.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
This is a good point, too. Parents stopped teaching their kids to thank people for Xmas and birthday gifts sometime back before the turn of the millennium. Kids take Xmas presents from all the relatives for granted, but never thank anyone. Then the relatives are left wondering why they bother giving gifts.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:37 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
There is this girl from work who happens to be an intern. She's still in college and had her very first interview for a job post-graduation last week.

She asked me to help her out with the interview. She wanted me to train her and to provide her with the answers to the questions that could be asked. I have quite a large spectrum of interview experiences, so I knew how to prepare her properly.

She was totally unprepared beforehand. She had no clue how to answer the questions.

Turns out she got the job. I had sent her an email and she didn't bother replying at all. Not even a thank you. I sent her the email three days ago. I've never seen such thing in my life. Now that she got the job, I'm useless?

I now wish I hadn't helped her out to be honest.

Rant over.
Not her fault, it's her parents that didn't teach her to say "Thank you" That's why I would say "Hope you choke" to customers who didn't thank me for cutting their order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships