Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 03:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

If one cannot afford to board their pets while on vacaction, one cannot afford to go on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 05:08 PM

525 posts, read 660,431 times
Or get a housesitter and keep the pets at home. I pay $25 a night to a housesitter in my location to care for my dog and just make sure my cat has food and water and get mail. I fill the fridge with food and tell them to not clear out the liquor cabinet or annoy the neighbors. I'm sure rates vary just like babysitting etc. I've used in the past: college age friends of my kid, sons/daughters/nieces/nephews of friends, younger minimum wage level co-workers needing to pick up a little extra cash, and a retired friend.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:56 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
OP, a couple of things stuck out in two of your posts. You wrote:

Quote:
Some of the tension might come from cultural and family differences. He comes from another culture with very tight-nit, generous families. I love his parents dearly and they are EXTREMELY generous and very doting grandparents, primarily his mom. His mom spends days cooking ethnic foods and prepares platters of sweets, fruit, etc every time we visit. She brings platters of treats to every kids' birthday. In my opinion, the gift giving is excessive though - I'm appreciative but I feel like it's too much and I've told her so. They easily spend 10x the amount my parents do for birthdays, Christmas, Easter baskets, etc.
It sounds like his background is either Italian or Greek or something similar. People with this heritage sometimes think the man is the breadwinner and the women is responsible for everything else. They rule the roost, the woman obeys. And yes, sometimes they become abusive, either emotionally or physically. Look at his parents relationship to see what his expectations might be. He's obviously putting too much on you and blaming everyone else to manipulate. He's a manipulator to get his way.

Quote:
At the time, I felt obligated to find the boarding since the family dog is my responsibility. The kids and I wanted the dog and we love her.
This sounds like something he may have said, and you're buying into. WHY is the dog your responsibility and not a family responsibility? Did he say, "You want the dog, so you'll have to be the one to take care of it"? That's ridiculous. You have two kids, should be taking care of yourself right now, and his demands on you are unreasonable.

He's positioned himself to get away with as much as possible, while doing as little as possible, all the while judging everything your family does. It's all about him and what he wants. Meanwhile, I'm guessing his family may be overly involved, because that's part of the culture, too.

Please go for counseling alone. He's very unlikely to go with you, but that doesn't mean you can't go. He may feel very strongly that you shouldn't, but for the sake of you and your children, go anyway.

He's not a healthy individual and this will eventually impact you and your kids in a negative way. You've been submissive when it comes to you - but for the sake of your children it's important you learn to stand up to him.

By the way, I grew up with two guys like this. In the first case the woman went from happy to dour and broken. Very sad to see her now because she's just not the same person. In the second case, she finally turned around and started saying, "ENOUGH! I'm sick of your #$%@! If you don't like it - do it yourself." She did this a few times and suddenly he had great respect for her and treated her better.

I don't understand the psychology behind that, but thought it interesting enough to throw out there.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:56 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,009 times
You're married to a petulant and controlling child, not a man. He will never, ever change. If you ever hope to have a happy life, you need to get out. And stop having children, for godsake.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:59 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
They'd probably be less annoyed if they had a fence but you made them go on 3-4 extra walks per day. Rude.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:27 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
You're married to a petulant and controlling child, not a man. He will never, ever change. If you ever hope to have a happy life, you need to get out. And stop having children, for godsake.
Part of the wedding vows , if anyone thinks this couple should not be joined,
speak now or FOREVER be silent.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:39 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
FWIW, this thread is more than a year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships