Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:32 AM

529 posts, read 506,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
This is quite frustrating and I don't think is common. I found when I experienced this, that I began feeling "backed up", never having finished my thoughts. It must be that one doing that has no clue they are and is clearly not listening or interested. Either they never learned communication skills or maybe it is a brain disorder of some sort.
For someone like this, I would simply interrupt them back and say, "hold on, let me finish. "

Also, I will interrupt someone with no notice if I have something I want to add. But I always bring it back to whatever they were saying via "but you were saying...". Sometimes I even got to remind them what they were initially talking about All in the approach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 04:20 PM

15,534 posts, read 15,551,422 times
No, I don't find that.

But I can tell you this - a study was done that showed that men interrupt more often than women interrupt, but that women are very good at picking up exactly where they left off.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:01 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,990,477 times
I think they're just rude and have never learned how to handle a conversation interruption. I actually think most people do that. I only recently met a group of people who practice the "please finish what you were saying" policy, and it was eye-opening. Honestly, it had never occurred to me to do that, because I'd never had anyone do it before. It seems to be a politeness that is taught to some but not others, or expected in some circles, but not others. So I think you are working in place where people just don't know to do that and haven't thought of it themselves. They probably do it to each other too and think it's just fine.

And I'll add - it can have disasterous results. I'll never forget the time I was interrupted just as I was saying that so-and-so was crazy.....(about that new restaurant, which she had been to the week before). But I never got the chance to finish my sentence, in spite of trying to do so several times and being interrupted again. Then guess what someone told so-and-so I said about her. Not only rude, but back-stabbing.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:38 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,051,555 times
I'm a bit of a quiet person and an introvert, and this does happen to me from time to time. I figure whatever I'm talking about is boring to them, or they are just inconsiderate...or both.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:48 PM

4,290 posts, read 3,999,433 times
Oh boy I know them,, when I see them I always have ear infection so I don't hear properly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships