Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 08:47 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not my experience, either; I've had plenty of interesting conversations with complete strangers.

Consider this: The common denominator in all these instances is you.
Oh, so now it's my fault I'm hassled by scum-bags?! I live & work in a major metropolitan city with a lot of homeless junkies/panhandlers. So, it's my fault I live here?!

Have you ever taken public transportation every day to go to work & been surrounded by the mentally ill, junkies going through withdrawal, people that reek of pi$$ & B.O., people fighting, etc.?! Well, I have. If you haven't had to do this, you're fortunate.

I also know other people in my area who are accosted by these P.O.S'.s on a regular basis as well. So it's not just me.

Why don't you think before you post?! Just because you haven't been hassled by these people as much as I have, that doesn't mean that they target me in particular for some reason. If you do think that, then you're delusional.

You have NO CLUE what I have to go through every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I've been approached by crazy people, panhandlers, scam artists, etc.

And somehow didn't turn into an unfriendly dick.
Sometimes being an "unfriendly dick" is the only way to keep from getting hassled. If that's what it takes, so be it. Though I do get hassled by these people, if I were friendly I'm sure it would happen a lot more. I have had some of them look like they're about to ask me for money at times, then think better of it.

And, to those other people who don't have the misfortune to live in an area where aggressive panhandling is an issue, here are some articles to prove my point - I am NOT making this up:

http://journalstar.com/news/local/ag...ef70a11b7.html

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Dal...367271091.html

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...IT02/151009533

http://www.city-journal.org/html/pro...gue-13101.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Also I've heard of incidents in Times Square where the "free hug" people and those who dress up as characters have physically assaulted people when they didn't pay up for the "free" photo.
Yeah - these losers are a real problem in NYC: http://www.amny.com/opinion/columnis...top-1.10595855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There have also been a few rare instances where I have moved subway cars to get away from people I perceived to be mentally ill and unstable, but in most or all cases, those people weren't actually asking for money. They were just ranting and raving.
This happens to me on an almost daily basis. Public transportation seems to draw people like this, probably because they can't drive.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 05-28-2016 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 12:42 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
No, not in most areas of California. Yes, in Utah, Oregon, Idaho, Illinois and Philly!

Old 05-29-2016, 12:43 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
In Texas, sometimes. NY, yes most places, so so.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:18 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
This is really interesting.

Seems to me this "chatting" can fall into one of two categories. One is the conversation that isn't intended to last more than a minute or two - like strangers in an elevator, or two people at a crosswalk commenting on an erratic driver. But the other kind, which can be really fun, is when two total strangers get into an actual conversation, maybe because they happen to be leaving a movie at the same time and then starting commenting on it. I was leaving an event recently and fell into conversation with someone else, walking in the same direction for about ten minutes, and we started talking about economics.

I think there may be regional differences. I'm in New York City and it seems to happen often here.

If strangers in American talk to you, do you like it or, with your upbringing in Sweden, do you find it annoying and intrusive?

Old 06-02-2016, 06:24 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Oh, so now it's my fault I'm hassled by scum-bags?! I live & work in a major metropolitan city with a lot of homeless junkies/panhandlers. So, it's my fault I live here?!
Pretty much. If you don't like all that goes along with the urban environment, you should vacate it immediately.

Quote:
Have you ever taken public transportation every day to go to work & been surrounded by the mentally ill, junkies going through withdrawal, people that reek of pi$$ & B.O., people fighting, etc.?!
Nope. I've encountered very little of that on public transportation.

Quote:
Why don't you think before you post?! Just because you haven't been hassled by these people as much as I have, that doesn't mean that they target me in particular for some reason.
I could say the same about you. Just because you encounter people who don't measure up to your lofty standards on a daily basis does not mean everyone else does.

Quote:
You have NO CLUE what I have to go through every day.

As I said before, the only common denominator in your tales of woe is ... you.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Pretty much. If you don't like all that goes along with the urban environment, you should vacate it immediately.

Nope. I've encountered very little of that on public transportation.
Well, I can't just "leave" my urban environment because I have a job, and need to make a living. I'm not a spoiled, entitled brat who can just leave my job at the first sign of difficulty - I'm sure this is beyond your comprehension, however.

Must be nice - I have to go through this every day on public transportation. And, by admitting that you don't go through what I have to every day, you've just proved my point for me - Thanks - you've been extremely helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 100% sure that you would not be able to handle what I deal with on a daily basis.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 06-02-2016 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 PM

10 posts, read 11,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Well, I can't just "leave" my urban environment because I have a job, and need to make a living. I'm not a spoiled brat who can just leave my job at the first sign of difficulty - I'm sure this is beyond your comprehension, however.

Must be nice - I have to go through this every day on public transportation. And, by admitting that you don't go through what I have to every day, you've just proved my point for me - Thanks - you've been extremely helpful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 100% sure that you would not be able to handle what I deal with on a daily basis.
Just saw this thread and I must say that many, many people out there truly have no comprehension of how gritty, harsh & disgusting some parts of the major cities can be.
There's no describing it to people who live in cookie cutter little towns.....
I do know you're not exaggerating.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorEx View Post
Just saw this thread and I must say that many, many people out there truly have no comprehension of how gritty, harsh & disgusting some parts of the major cities can be.
Thanks! If I could rep you 100 times I would!!! Glad to hear at least some people know where I'm coming from on here. Not everyone can afford to live in the expensive suburbs. Some of us have to live & work in the big city.

A while back, a guy on the train I take was attacked for no reason. Public transportation can be dangerous in certain areas - you do have to be careful & aware of your surroundings at all times.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorEx View Post
Honestly thank you. It seems some here can't get it through their head not everywhere is their little peaceful suburb of Mayberry. While I've been fortunate to not have any panhandlers put me in a dangerous situation, I completely understand, as someone who goes out in DC and Baltimore all the time, why it would be a reasonable idea to not engage with strangers.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Honestly thank you. It seems some here can't get it through their head not everywhere is their little peaceful suburb of Mayberry. While I've been fortunate to not have any panhandlers put me in a dangerous situation, I completely understand, as someone who goes out in DC and Baltimore all the time, why it would be a reasonable idea to not engage with strangers.
As someone who grew up & went to college in the Baltimore/Washington D.C. metropolitan area, I completely understand what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships