Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:08 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Agreed. Giving a dirty look or making a remark is as far as it should go. Striking someone else's property is over the line.
Not defending, but the whole point of striking the car is to get the driver's attention. A dirty look isn't effective if the driver doesn't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 01:10 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
A car in traffic partially blocking a crosswalk is an everyday occurrence here in Washington DC. Hardly any pedestrians go ape about it to the point of smacking someone's car. One thing for sure, if you get courage and want to smack someone's car, you better be prepared to answer for it in one fashion or another. Doesn't make the person blocking the crosswalk right but that is a traffic offense at best, damaging private property is a CRIMINAL offense.
I would assume you were trying hit me, you were in the cross walk and shouldn't be close enough to a pedestrian to be smacked! I would dent your car so bad if you did this to me!

Old 05-25-2016, 01:23 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
I was once taking a date to lunch in Charlotte, NC. Traffic was moving pretty well when I came to a crosswalk.

I stopped on a green light in that crosswalk. The young lady asked why I stopped. I told her to wait a sec. The car behind me started blaring it's horn. I stayed where I was.

A second or three after I stopped, a van went screaming through the intersection, making a right turn, a couple seconds later a couple cop cars followed with sirens wailing. The guy who had been on his horn gave a sheepish grin when I looked at him in the mirror.

I did not know when I stopped where they were coming from, but I certainly did hear those sirens - maybe others had their radio's too high or maybe they had wax in their ears; but had I proceeded, the young lady (and I) might well have been Spam in a can!

Plenty of other times I have heard cops, ambulances, and fire trucks, stopped and waited. By the time they passed often the lights had changed and there was no room to safely back up out of the crosswalk and I certainly was not going to go through a now red light to get to the other side.

Sometimes thing happen and you can indeed get trapped inside a crosswalk. For those who are making a "thing" out of this, either you have not driven enough to experience these situations or you are purposely making something of nothing, or both.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:26 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I would assume you were trying hit me, you were in the cross walk and shouldn't be close enough to a pedestrian to be smacked! I would dent your car so bad if you did this to me!
This is just excessive.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:27 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I think the issue is the car already being there and the pedestrian walking towards the car in the crosswalk after the car is sitting there stopped already. Dent the car and you risk arrest and criminal and civil penalties.

The car heading into the pedestrian is another matter.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:27 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
A car in traffic partially blocking a crosswalk is an everyday occurrence here in Washington DC.
Doesn't make it right, though.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
This thread just proves there is no slight too trivial to be ignored and no thread on C-D about which members cannot argue.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:34 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Sometimes thing happen and you can indeed get trapped inside a crosswalk. For those who are making a "thing" out of this, either you have not driven enough to experience these situations or you are purposely making something of nothing, or both.
Been driving for 25 years. I don't get trapped in crosswalks. You simply don't proceed through an intersection unless there is a car's length area in front of the crosswalk (meaning the crosswalk on the far side of the intersection). It's that simple.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:36 PM

162 posts, read 213,120 times
My sister, who travels frequently to Europe for work, says this happens there all the time. Apparently they take pedestrians' rights very seriously.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:37 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Doesn't make it right, though.
Agreed. I, too, live in the DC metro area and I make an effort to not block crosswalks or intersections.

Now, there have been occurrences where I didn't realize the cars in front had not advanced far enough for me to clear the crosswalk, causing me to inadvertently block a crosswalk. But it is something I try to avoid doing. I have never encountered someone who was angry about it - they typically cross in front or behind.

To answer OP's question: If they had smacked my car, I wouldn't react. I would't be happy about it and I may have not-so-nice thoughts but I would let it go. I certainly wouldn't be confrontational. Also, they would have to hit my car pretty hard for them to damage it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships