Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 05:22 PM

141 posts, read 171,586 times

Advertisements

If I didn't want to go to a baby shower, I wouldn't go. If I didn't like the person, I wouldn't even bother with an RSVP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 05:30 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Because the invite just says to just bring diapers and not gifts. She had a kid two years ago. Same sex as this new one. She's throwing this shower for herself and inviting people.

Yes there's stuff unrelated to this. My relatives don't treat me very well and I'm mad. It's an ongoing subject for a lot of these threads isn't it?
What? I'm obviously old. This is just tacky. I'd find something else to do that day.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:11 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Well.... I believe in the idea of one shower...but I also think each pregnancy should be celebrated. My niece's and nephews generation sort of think that way. They had one shower, and subsequent celebrations for the next two. There may have been gifts.

And each child got a homemade quilt and crocheted baby blankets -- because that's what grand aunt and auntie do....

Old 06-05-2016, 06:51 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
Thanks. I'm buying the diapers and sending them along with another relative. I'm going to have something else to do that day.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I've noticed that young mothers get showers for every pregnancy sometimes. Sometimes not.

You know if you went to a shower for the first baby, I think it is fine to decline, unless this is a close friend or family member.

And, even if you do go, you and another person or two can pool resources for a gift.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
First just a question about apparent change in what is acceptable. I know that it used to be that people only really did baby showers or wedding showers for the first wedding or baby. This idea being that they starting the house keeping or being a parent and they have nothing. Is it really acceptable now to expect more gifts with each additional wedding and child? Do people toss out the first pile of stuff and start over? Babies don't usually wear out clothes anyhow.

OK if this is now what is right and the new baby shower is just a go fund me type of thing to pay for diapers and they may toss me a cupcake and ignore me while there, should I go? It's people I'm really kind of mad at for another reason. Would you go if you were me?
You can certainly decline. Why such a big deal? Are you being passive aggressive because you're miffed about something that you haven't addressed with them?

Old 06-05-2016, 07:18 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You can certainly decline. Why such a big deal? Are you being passive aggressive because you're miffed about something that you haven't addressed with them?
Its related to this. Same AZZhats.

Is anyone here expected to be best friends with family members and they can't?

Old 06-05-2016, 07:30 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
First just a question about apparent change in what is acceptable. I know that it used to be that people only really did baby showers or wedding showers for the first wedding or baby. This idea being that they starting the house keeping or being a parent and they have nothing. Is it really acceptable now to expect more gifts with each additional wedding and child? Do people toss out the first pile of stuff and start over? Babies don't usually wear out clothes anyhow.

OK if this is now what is right and the new baby shower is just a go fund me type of thing to pay for diapers and they may toss me a cupcake and ignore me while there, should I go? It's people I'm really kind of mad at for another reason. Would you go if you were me?
This is why I like being a guy. No wedding or baby showers ever.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Because the invite just says to just bring diapers and not gifts. She had a kid two years ago. Same sex as this new one. She's throwing this shower for herself and inviting people.

Yes there's stuff unrelated to this. My relatives don't treat me very well and I'm mad. It's an ongoing subject for a lot of these threads isn't it?
I'm old-school about these things, and I think it's tacky. If they treat you badly, don't go.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:58 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
This is why I like being a guy. No wedding or baby showers ever.
Lucky you! I'm a woman who hates those things, so I tend to decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships