Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:18 PM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I'm sick of immature posters calling people "haters" if they don't agree with them or labeling someone a "*******" or "liberal" in a dismissive fashion that is meant to be insulting instead of having a rational discussion.

Also, armchair-diagnosing someone as being "bi-polar" as if they were doctors who had been fully apprised of the situation.
Seriously just LOL at work (shh...) at "*******". I agree whole-heartedly with your assessment but that term just cracks me up. Guess I'm one of em'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 03:32 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Seriously just LOL at work (shh...) at "*******". I agree whole-heartedly with your assessment but that term just cracks me up. Guess I'm one of em'!
Ha-ha! No you're not. At least you're not calling people that.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:45 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
"Correlation is not causation" - everyone who ever took a single college (or even H.S.) stats class spouts this nugget trying to shut down any argument even when it doesn't really fit.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:47 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I'm sick of immature posters calling people "haters" if they don't agree with them or labeling someone a "*******" or "liberal" in a dismissive fashion that is meant to be insulting instead of having a rational discussion.
The cousin to "hater" is that they are "just jealous". This is always a female with a princess complex who thinks people are out to get her.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:59 PM

129 posts, read 110,145 times
"Ask your family and friends for help."

Because everyone just has huge support networks, and healthy extended families dying to pitch in.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:23 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Hey, in my defense, meditation has been hugely helpful for my depression and ADD-related issues, including insomnia. I really do think if more people did it, the world would be a better place. Too many stressed out douchebags running around freaking out about the little things.

And as for narcissism, well it IS overused. The problem is that almost any mental health issue and general douche-iness can cause behaviors that in isolation seem narcissistic. But having read about it pretty extensively due to my father being a textbook case, I have to say that it's more common than I'd ever realized. And you can describe something as narcissistic without the person being a narcissist.

If you eat right, exercise and get enough sleep, you will generally feel at least a little better. OWS has it right - there are only so many questions and only so many answers.

But I'm in a really good place right now, and I know what has helped me get there. Hey, it's better than my father's advice, which is generally "Drink a glass of milk."

Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
One of my favorites here on C-D is "Why do you care if that outfit (necklace, pair of shoes, hairstyle) looks good to anyone else? The only thing that matters is if YOU like it. I wear what I like, no matter what anyone else thinks!"

And while I agree with the basic sentiment, sometimes we DO want to know what others think, sometimes it's nice to know if other people think certain things look ridiculous.

And sometimes.....it's just a conversation.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
am i drinking too much? answer: yes, go to AA

i have really bad anxiety, stress, etc. answer: therapy(the answer is always therapy)

diet or exercise? answer: diet is 80-85-90-95-99% of the equation.

why does my life suck so bad? answer: life is what you make it.

i cant get a decent job after graduation even with work experience. answer: suck it up and quit whining, nobody is entitled to a job you entitled, lazy, bernie luvin' slacker!

my girlfriend has a weight problem. answer: her weight is none of your business. how could you be so shallow and superficial???

i hate my job. answer: start your own business

i dont want kids. answer: you'll change your mind. besides, you'll need someone to take care of you in old age. LOLOLOL

i am an introvert and i have a hard time connecting with most people. sarcastic answer: well aren't you a special little snowflake?

why is everyone so rude? answer: it's not them, it's you.(this response just proves the op's point)

also, any thread someone makes where a forum stalker starts offering condescending advice or personal attacks that has nothing to do with the thread. usually starts with this, "ive seen your other threads and posts...". yeah, dont quit your day job!

usually, it's the posters with 15,000+ posts that live on CD and think they can get away with being rude to everyone because they are a "regular" here.
Well, for intractable problems about which forum posters are not qualified to recommend solutions, then yes, therapy is a good possibility.

And personally, I think the introvert thing is often a copout. I wish to never hear about the poor misunderstood introverts ever again. And I am speaking as the wife of an introvert who has gotten on with his life and never, ever complained about any extroverts.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:21 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
My company is now 10 years in business and I had a so so friend tell me to make sure I put some money away for a rainy day. Ahhhh thanks I'm not a kid.

How about Doctors? Mine sounds like a broken record when it comes to over drinking of alcohol, getting exercise and eating right. I have made it to my age in really good health due to limiting drink, getting exercise and eating right. I don't know why she can't figure that out by looking at me?

It is odd to get advice that is so obvious.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:41 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Well, as funny as this thread has been, at least posters care enough to respond to a thread asking for advice. Any advice given can be followed, considered or ignored. I would imagine people looking for another's input feel its better to come across "trite" advice instead of being ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships