Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:36 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,323,893 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say arrogant. Most of the alcoholics I've came across in my lifetime so far are very self-centered & blame their problems on everyone else but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 01:41 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,427,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I wouldn't say arrogant. Most of the alcoholics I've came across in my lifetime so far are very self-centered & blame their problems on everyone else but themselves.
IME this sounds far more like my experience.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:14 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,830,652 times
Quote:
There is some arrogance, though, in being very self-centered and blaming others for one's problems.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:03 AM

22,275 posts, read 11,769,368 times
Quote:
^^^^That describes my mother. However, my brother also was an alcoholic and he didn't behave that way. In fact, I'm sure his co-workers would never have guessed he was one. He was a depressive---the walking wounded type---who was low key. People who worked with him like having him as their boss. When he was home, he would withdraw and self-medicate. That said, like my mother, he refused to accept that he had a problem.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:40 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,067,171 times
All the alcoholics that were in my life had been different from that. None of them were arrogant and were, for the most part, actually extremely humble. Almost to the point that it was annoying or it seemed like they had no self worth. The rest were pretty nice, if not depressing while drinking. I find it a bit offensive to call all alcoholics or addicts "losers." We don't know them or their life, not all of them at least.

Maybe it is a cultural thing(?) Most the people I interact with off the Internet are Korean or Korean-American, having been raised to be very humble (as individuals, but we know how proud we are as a nation, lol) and avoid showing much pride.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:17 PM

212 posts, read 193,841 times
Alcoholics, in my opinion, are no more arrogant nor less arrogant than the average populace at large. Like all humans, there are varying personalities on the spectrum. Alcoholism is no respecter of persons. It strikes rich, poor, cruel, loving, compassionate, snobby, etc. equally. The only difference I've seen it that those who have resources (e.g. money) do not tend to go downhill quite as fast as those who have less resources.

Heck, I have a good friend who started drinking simply out of boredom - he was, by all standards, a genius, and he said that alcohol was the only thing that gave him any amusement. Unfortunately, that quickly devolved into a terrible alcohol problem.

Just my two shillings...

Old 06-10-2016, 03:57 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,834,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
It's a mask for insecurity. Read page 56 of the big book
I was just thinking that.

Or...overcompensation, anyway. They KNOW they're being looked on as sloppy and gross when they're in that state so they're attempting to swing the other way.

My ex would try to speak in this overly-enunciating-his-words way when he was drunk, even drawing out the slurring thinking he was drawing out the correct pronunciation (but being physically unable to do it and so drunk he didn't realize he was missing the mark). He figured that way, nobody would ever guess. It was absolutely embarrassing. And he'd stand very straight (wobbling back and forth from center, but straight when he could accomplish it) and speak oooooooooooooooverly calmly. "I am NOT drunk, JerZ. See? I am PERFECTLY FINE. Letsh be REEEEEEEEESH-onable." (That wasn't quite it with the "sh" but I am relieved to say I myself am unable to exactly hit on how a person in his cups speaks.)

Okay, you're perfectly fine. Well then you're going to have to be perfectly fine without me... (Which is exactly what ultimately happened.)

Old 06-10-2016, 04:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,917,855 times
I don't know about personality so much. I have always thought that alcoholics were addicted to alcohol. Or, they have mental illness and drink to medicate. Some might equate drinking with social behavior they learned to enjoy. But they end up addicted.

I am not sure how arrogance is a characteristic of all alcoholics or all of any other category of people.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:19 AM

2,696 posts, read 3,750,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't know about personality so much. I have always thought that alcoholics were addicted to alcohol. Or, they have mental illness and drink to medicate. Some might equate drinking with social behavior they learned to enjoy. But they end up addicted.

I am not sure how arrogance is a characteristic of all alcoholics or all of any other category of people.
I've known addicts (alcoholics or other) in my family, at work and among friends. I never really think about alcoholics being any more arrogant than anyone else. Some are arrogant and some aren't.

I know that I make a choice to avoid addicts as an adult as often as I can, because I cannot tolerate all the bad behavior that is part of the package of a typical addict. Arrogant people are insufferable anyway, addicts or not.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:31 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,044,329 times
Many drink to mask emotional pain or past traumas. it numbs them, gives confidence as they forget about the issues for periods of time. Some are functional, having great careers, families and control over their lives. Others go on a downward spiral. The persons personality and life experiences have a lot to do with who they become when drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships