Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 02:40 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I think it's extremely rude of your brother to feel entitled to have your aunt pay for his party. You cousin is not the selfish on here.

If he wants a party that bad, he can throw one himself.
I second this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 02:52 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
What I find difficult to believe that is that someone actually received a COLLEGE DEGREE and is still exhibiting entitlement behaviors I trained out of my kid back in the days of first grade class birthday parties! Not everything is about HIM!!!

Tell your brother to have his own dang party and quit trying to cop a free ride on your cousin's.

Exactly. It takes time and effort to plan and host a party - not to mention money. Sounds like your immediate family is too stingy with their time and money and would just rather push yourselves in and reap benefits off your cousin's party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I think it's extremely rude of your brother to feel entitled to have your aunt pay for his party. You cousin is not the selfish on here.

If he wants a party that bad, he can throw one himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I second this
I third it. This is America - you can have anything you want, as long as you pay for it. Pony up some money and do your own party.

Why do people feel so entitled to everything? I breathe - therefore gimmee. The world is full of breathing people - you aren't special.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:58 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Is it rude of course not. Its rude that the brother feels so entitled that he thinks his cousin's party should be his.

Have his own party. His life, his family, his friends. If he has any.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:11 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
My cousin and my brother both just graduated college, and they are a month apart in age. My aunt is hosting a big graduation party for our cousin, and she asked the cousin if the party could be for him and my brother, and my cousin refused, saying that he wanted it to be his party also. This pisses off my brother and me, and we think it is extremely selfish that even though they share the same extended family, our cousin has to have all the glory. My brother is by no means a selfish person, but this to him is over the line, and he will more than likely not be attending our cousin's party to send him a direct message. Fellow CD members, how would you react to a situation like this? Do you think it is rude and selfish of our cousin to insist that the party only be in his honor, or is it perfectly understandable? Why?
It is HIS graduation party that HE deserves so HE should have all the glory.

Your brother can have his own big glory at his own party.

The only thing wrong here is that your aunt even told you about the conversation she had with your cousin. She should have not mentioned it.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:22 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
It is HIS graduation party that HE deserves so HE should have all the glory.

Your brother can have his own big glory at his own party.

The only thing wrong here is that your aunt even told you about the conversation she had with your cousin. She should have not mentioned it.
I have a strong feeling that the aunt mentioned only that they were invited - and then they asked if it could be for the brother, too. Flabbergasted, and not knowing what to say quickly, the aunt said "let me check with your cousin". Dollar to a donut that it went down like that.

Never underestimate gall.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:22 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

I think a full-blown party for a college grad is very unusual, though!
Really? Why? It's a HUGE life milestone, and I know a great number of people (including myself) who had "full-blown" parties when they did.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:59 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Really? Why? It's a HUGE life milestone, and I know a great number of people (including myself) who had "full-blown" parties when they did.
Why?
Because I know of no one who does that.
Not when DH and I graduated college.
Not when our kids and their friends graduated college.
Not when our friends' and neighbors' kids graduated college.

Ironically, the big party is for graduating high school.

Graduate college? Small gathering with immediate family and some friends.

Get a PhD? Your spouse is there for that.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:10 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Hasn't been a huge milestone for decades. Graduating from college back when most people never finished high school was a huge milestone.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:45 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,856 times
My cousin and I went to the same high school and graduated the same day. We had separate graduation parties. I don't see what the big deal is. Even though you have the same extended family, not all friends are the same, or the other side of the family.

Maybe they don't want all the extra people at HIS graduation party.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Hasn't been a huge milestone for decades. Graduating from college back when most people never finished high school was a huge milestone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Why?
Because I know of no one who does that.
Not when DH and I graduated college.
Not when our kids and their friends graduated college.
Not when our friends' and neighbors' kids graduated college.

Ironically, the big party is for graduating high school.

Graduate college? Small gathering with immediate family and some friends.

Get a PhD? Your spouse is there for that.
Every family is different.

BTW, among my friends and relatives it is about as common to have a big party for graduating from HS as it is for graduating from kindergarten. After all, basically everyone graduates from HS as well as from kindergarten. I haven't been invited to a HS graduation party since I graduated from HS 46 years ago but I have been invited to many college/graduate school/law school/PhD/Medical School/etc. parties.

Yes, many people that I know do have parties to celebrate graduating from college or graduate school. And, yes, some people do have parties when they get their PhDs, law degrees and medical degrees. Of course, most give the parties themselves instead of having their parents plan & host the party.

Getting back to this thread. They have individual parties not try to join a relatives party (unless it is planned that way).

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-09-2016 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships