Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 PM

820 posts, read 971,757 times

Advertisements

My cousin and my brother both just graduated college, and they are a month apart in age. My aunt is hosting a big graduation party for our cousin, and she asked the cousin if the party could be for him and my brother, and my cousin refused, saying that he wanted it to be his party also. This pisses off my brother and me, and we think it is extremely selfish that even though they share the same extended family, our cousin has to have all the glory. My brother is by no means a selfish person, but this to him is over the line, and he will more than likely not be attending our cousin's party to send him a direct message. Fellow CD members, how would you react to a situation like this? Do you think it is rude and selfish of our cousin to insist that the party only be in his honor, or is it perfectly understandable? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
I think he is entitled to his own party with his own friends.

I think a full-blown party for a college grad is very unusual, though!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:40 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,750 times
Even though it would be a nice gesture I don't think the cousin shouldn't be made to share his party. Maybe throw your own party for your brother.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:41 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
No its not rude, it is his decision. He should do what he wants, and not sharing the spotlight is his decision and should respected.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
What is the purpose of this party? Drunken debauchery? A gift grab? Your aunt entertaining her son's friends alone? Were you planning to help pay for this party?

If your brother is hoping for gifts, he could just send out a graduation announcement (which just lets people know about his accomplishment without inviting them to anything. Saves you the trouble/expense of paying for a party. You can get beautiful ones made at places like Zazzle or Shuttlerfly with a photo and info about the grad. I've gotten quite a few of those in recent years. I always send a check. The least expensive place I know to get nice ones is the photo center at Costco.
Product Details | Costco Photo Center

Or your brother could go to his cousin's party wearing a T-shirt that says "I graduated, too!" Did he get better grades than the cousin? He could put the name of his degree and his GPA on the back. Not that I would recommend this ...

Old 06-08-2016, 08:44 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
If the party guests would all be members of the extended family, then yes I think your cousin should have included your brother. But if the guests would be members of their respective friendship circles (and assuming that these circles don't intersect), then it makes more sense to have separate parties.

If your cousin and your brother were on friendly terms, it would make sense to do the separate parties, but then also have another get-together with just them and you and your aunt and your parents.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:48 PM

820 posts, read 971,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If the party guests would all be members of the extended family, then yes I think your cousin should have included your brother. But if the guests would be members of their respective friendship circles (and assuming that these circles don't intersect), then it makes more sense to have separate parties.

If your cousin and your brother were on friendly terms, it would make sense to do the separate parties, but then also have another get-together with just them and you and your aunt and your parents.
The party would be both extended family and friends.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:02 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Why can't your parents throw a party for their son, your brother, like your aunt is throwing one for her son, your cousin? They can be two different weekends. Did they both go to the same college? Are they graduating the same day?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:19 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why can't your parents throw a party for their son, your brother, like your aunt is throwing one for her son, your cousin? They can be two different weekends. Did they both go to the same college? Are they graduating the same day?
Unless there is an obvious reason like same college/same day, it makes no sense to have a joint celebration. And your aunt should not have said anything about it to your brother. That was the rude part.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Meh. I don't blame him for not wanting to share the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships