Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 12:14 PM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loversandfriends24 View Post
She said she wants to go to colleges like Vassar and Columbia. Wouldn't a state school be like a trade down?
With her record, it is extremely unlikely she will get into Vassar or Columbia...or Oxford, lol. Try applying, it is not going to be as easy as you think it is, just because it is in the UK....I am guessing Oxford would be the hardest one of all to get into. You are living in a complete and utter fantasy world! And your Mother is not English because she lived in Britain for 3- 5 years! Oh brother!

Your parents are doing the right thing. They are trying to make you realize that there are consequences to your actions. You messed up major time, they are right - you need to go get a job...or two, you need to grow up and own up that you are the one who is responsible for this whole mess. (If this is even true...the whole things sounds a bit trollish). Sign up for Community College or a State University (it sounds like they may be the only ones willing to take you - after a couple of years of good grades and proving yourself capable you should be able to transfer to a University.

You need to grow up, take responsibility for yourself and your actions and the consequences of your actions...and stop acting like an entitled spoiled little self centered brat! (you should have had the college thing worked out way before now...it's literally weeks before fall semesters start...!!!)

Old 06-11-2016, 12:17 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
thalia,
You should apply to a community college and start your college education for your cirminal
psycology degree.
Also, get a fricken job. Go to school and work too.
Like everyone else in the country.
You should be able to get excellent grades since you look down on community college
right? Well, if you are really smart, your GPA will be very high, and you never know,
you could get a scholarship to a University you really want to continue your education at.
That is your answer.
So, get off the computer and run down to your local Community college and get the ball
rolling.....Time is ticking.....

Old 06-11-2016, 12:33 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia.leighton View Post
. Plus, I googled the cost of UK colleges such as Oxford, Cambridge and UCL and they really aren't expensive at all, they're way cheaper than schools here in the US.
I did some googling too.

From an article ranking the Most Expensive Universities in the world:
Quote:
- Cambridge - $35,310

- Oxford - $33,049

- UCL - $39,265

| Top Universities
I'm not sure what your definition of expensive is, but these schools ARE expensive.

They're also 3 of the world's most well know & respected universities who only take the top of the top.

If your grades are so terrible you didn't bother applying to ANY colleges, don't expect to get into these 3 in England.

Someone needs to sit you down and help you understand that college costs so much more than the tuition cost listed online and in the fancy brochures.

The exchange rate in England is terrible, most everything you buy on the economy when there is going to be more expensive than at home.

It's expenses like:

-School supplies
-Transportation
-Housing
-Food
-Text Books
-Social life

If this is all the thought you put in to it I can understand why your parents won't even entertain these foolish notions.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:34 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Get a part time job. Go to technical school. Save money. Apply to local colleges. Apply yourself. Graduate. Apologize to parents.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Ross24 View Post
Her parents are selfish. But then again she's slightly selfish too. She's lucky she HAS parents, both of mine are dead and buried but I can tell you that if they were alive they would NEVER do such a cruel thing to me. $13K is nothing compared to college costs here, so they should just let her move where she wants which is Europe so she can be happy. Happiness is above everything and if they can give her what she wants, why not?
She certainly can, on her own dime....so why is she still here? Because she has to earn it.
It isn't cruel to not send your child to another country for college.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:25 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
She certainly can, on her own dime....so why is she still here? Because she has to earn it.
It isn't cruel to not send your child to another country for college.
Especially when they have a tendency to get into severe trouble, like the OP.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:38 PM

550 posts, read 637,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Its like anything else, you put one foot in front of the other...rinse and repeat. Start by getting up early, showered and ready to apply for jobs. Do that everyday until you find one.

And if I could just add this little nugget...Go OUT of your FRONT DOOR, with resume and references in hand and actually physically knock on doors. Get yourself a bus pass! Don't just email en masse your resume and get bummed that no one is responding. There are millions doing that every single day. Actually showing up to knock on doors the old fashioned way still has a ton of weight, even in this day and age. Hint: The people doing the hiring are usually of an age that REALLY knocked on doors. You'll blow them away if you actually show up (more than once more than twice) clean, smiling, with eye contact and a ready handshake, and a can-do attitude. At this stage in your life, don't even THINK that you can make a bunch of workplace demands. You literally have nothing better to do.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:43 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
A good career counselor at the commnity collee can help you identify your aptitude for certain types of jobs and help you focus on what would best suit you. Do your own research.
About things you have done.... hard lesson ... you are now learning wasn't so smart.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Ross24 View Post
Her parents are selfish. But then again she's slightly selfish too. She's lucky she HAS parents, both of mine are dead and buried but I can tell you that if they were alive they would NEVER do such a cruel thing to me. $13K is nothing compared to college costs here, so they should just let her move where she wants which is Europe so she can be happy. Happiness is above everything and if they can give her what she wants, why not?

Awesome. So where should she live, how shall she eat, cost of transportation, books and supplies, exchange rate, and on and on?? OH my goodness, you have a lot to learn!

Old 06-11-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Definitely apply to Oxford. And maybe Harvard and Yale as your safety schools.
Yes!! This made my day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships